Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING New female bunny

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • seafam
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

We currently have a 18 month old, neutered male rabbit.  We are probably adopting a 1 year old female rabbit who is currently not spayed.  I intend to get her spayed ASAP.  My question is, what are the steps that I should follow during these 3 phases:

Phase 1: We bring the female rabbit home.  While we are waiting for her appointment to get spayed, is it OK to put her in the same room (different cage/pen) from our male rabbit?  Should I actually begin parts of the bonding process at this point?  Or is it better to keep her in a completely separate room?

Phase 2: Post-spay surgery.  Same questions as above.  Should we keep her isolated or in the same room as the male rabbit?  How long should we wait before starting some of the bonding process.

Phase 3: Fully recovered from surgery.  I don’t really know what I’m doing with the bonding process, but at this stage I think I can do some research and figure out a plan.

Anyway, it’s really those first 2 stages that I’d like some advice with.  Thanks.

• Wick & Fable
        5770 posts Send Private Message

I am not experienced with bonding, but based on what I’ve read about, I think separation is of primary importance. Being in the same room can be dangerous, as rabbits are escape artists, and if there is contact through the pen, that’s a chance for potential injuries. At the same time, there are people who do the separation-until-spay-/-neuter in the same room and it has worked out fine. I think observation is key, and if a scuffle through walls or by escape attempt does occur, then location separation may be important to dispel any “bad air” until recovery from the spay.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING New female bunny