Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A New bunny >Runny Nose

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • agraybun
      Participant
      32 posts Send Private Message

Alrighty, guys…Hello, I’m new here, So far luvin’ it but I have to post on a rather serious note! Wanted to post in here b/c it seems like people check here often.

SO, on wed, my boyfriend purchased a baby bunny (holland lop) from a feed store. I checked it out to make sure it looked well. Looked at it bottom, its teeth, its eyes, and I thought It looked rather happy and alert. But later my boyfriend noticed it had a wet nose, Did I over look it? or did it just get wet? Why is it wet?

I have a bunny at home and I am worried that if it is contagious she will get it then we will have 2 sicky buns!

If anyone is in the Bay Area, CA do you know of an after hours vet or a saturday clinic?

Any help please!

Thank you Much!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

yes, i would get the baby to the vet before putting them together. buns can pick up things at the store (i think it’s coccidia, but i might be wrong, i’m not that great at the medical terms). it’s generally a good idea to always have a new bunny checked over by your vet. they might look healthy but a vet can look for other things you might miss.

is your other bunny altered?

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message
            Author Messages [script removed]
            Oldest First
            Newest First
             Dallas, Texas (Allen)
             WereRabbit

06/06/2008 8:10 PM [script removed]Alert 
            Hello Agraybun Welcome to Binky Bunny! – A runny nose is something that needs to be treated by a rabbit veterinarian. Where did you purchase the bunny? And how old is the bunny? Often, younger bunnies that are purchased have all kinds of sicknesses – which is why I promote adopting shelter rabbits as opposed to purchasing.

I recommend getting your bunny to a vet ASAP for treatment and some meds. Sicknesses in rabbits can get very bad very quickly. Please visit http://www.rabbit.org/vets/index.html to find a rabbit savvy vet, it is incredibly important that you find a vet that is familiar with rabbits to treat your bunny.

Forum Community Leader – MooBunnay

Martinez Ca
             Dwarf

06/06/2008 6:33 PM [script removed]Alert 

So we got a new bunny (baby-holland lop) I looked it over at the place of purchase, it looked good and alert. but now I notice a runny nose, she is eating and drinking very well and still alert and active for a baby bunny in a new enviroment.

Now I am worried.

(this is also in the lounge, you could read more there too)

Thanks you!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant

O.K. I’ve combined the topic here so hopefully this will get the attention it needs and we don’t have two dicussions about the same thing.  

I do have a question, do you have pine or cedar shavings around the baby?  I would still take it in to see the vet for sure.  It could be some kind of irritation from the environment or it could be an illness as well that needs medical attention.

I know that Binky Bunny takes her rabbits to Dr. Harvey and she is a very good rabbit savvy vet.  Here is a listing of rabbit savvy vets in the Bay Area:

http://www.rabbit.org/rabbit-center/resources/vets.html

I hope this helps!  How old is the baby by the way?

• agraybun
              Participant

Becka- yah, my other bunny is happy and alert and acting normal, I haven’t put them together yet.

Scarlet Rose- I believe the baby is like 2-3 mos. very little. I would have gotten a rabbit from a rescue or shelter but it was not my choice. My bunny Smooches was rescued.

Thanks for all your input!

• agraybun
                Participant

Oh for got to answer another thing.

Scarlet Rose- There is no pine or ceder in her environment. There is news paper in the litter box.

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s always best to get the new bunny in to the vet for a check up no matter what especially before you try to bond them with another rabbit.

I think if he’s alert and eating and pooping then I would not rush him to an emergency clinic.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant

O.K. agraybun, I was just wondering if the baby was weaned too early or if something in the environment might be causing it. I totally agree with Sarita. I hope things are better and please let us know how the baby is!

• MarkBun
                      Participant
                      2842 posts Send Private Message

The only ‘after hours’ clinic I know of is in Berkeley called “Pet Emergency” and they are more rabbit saavy than most vets (thanks to Dr. Harvey – love that gal!). But a runny nose is a sign that they should go to the vet. You could wait until your normal vet’s office opens though.

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

yes – I would also recommend getting her into Dr Harvey at the Chaubot Clinic as well. Shes a world class bunny vet.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A New bunny >Runny Nose