Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING New bun – small house!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Chucklebun
      Participant
      28 posts Send Private Message

So, I was showing off my new cat box for my bun’s vet trip on Monday (it’s super space age, looks like an iCatbox!!) and one of the girls at work said do you want another one (bun, not box). I was a little puzzled, said what, do you have a spare – she said no, he’s not wanted

She bought him from pets at home cos he looked lonely, but doesn’t really want him, he’s living in a hutch in a barn on her family farm, I’ll fill in more on the welcome section when I bring him home.

So the questions I have – I want to get him into the vets for speutering, jabs and general check up asap, I’m going to book him in when I take my Dylan in for his check-up and jabs. I also want to keep him quarantined for a bit (though hopefully the vet will be able to give him the all-clear) is there anything I should look for that a vet won’t be able to spot? 

And where should I keep him? Dylan has the spare room to himself, and I can’t really put the new bun in there while his hormones are flying everywhere. We have a small house, the bedroom is a no no, as my other half is asthmatic. The living room is a possibility, or the kitchen. Both will just be temporary until I start bonding, and he’ll have to live in a cage for a bit too – I’ve got a 2ft by 4ft cage he can have. I want to keep him calm, but being a small house, there’s not really any space that we don’t use, except the cellar, and that’s a little damp. Which do you think would be more disturbing for a bun who’s been used to living on his own in a barn – TV noises, or cooking smells and noises?

I’m super excited to be getting another bun, I wanted to get Dylan a girlfriend for a while now, but was sure my  OH would say no, turns out he’s fine with it! And though it’s not a girlfriend I hope they’ll bond easily enough   and can hang out and be best buds. Any advice would be most appreciated.

C x

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

I would put him in the living room. This way you can get to know him, he’ll get used to you, and the temporary 2×4 foot cage doesn’t take up that much space. If he is in fact a boy, you’re in luck, two neutered males tend to make great bonds!

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

Hello Chucklebun,

I wanted to add to what Beka posted as I agree with her. I would save the cellar, even though damp, for your bonding sessions, their introductory meetings. Those have to be done on neutral grounds.

In terms of health check, if your vet knows rabbits well, he should not miss a thing. Make sure he checks him over for bugs too as they can hide well in rabbit fur.

• Chucklebun
            Participant

Beka, thankyou for the comment about two boys making good bonds, I’ve been worrying as it the general opinion seems that bonding is easier between a boy and a girl. If i give it time for hormones to die down, then work hard at the bonding they’ll hopefully hit it off. How long would you leave it before attempting an introduction? I’ve got three weeks off work, but I think it’ll be about time to introduce them just as I go back if I can get him in for speutering straight away. I’m looking forward to having him in the living room (at least post speutering when the smell dies down!) so I can sit and watch TV and let him get to know me, and just get used to people. Dylan is so chilled out it’ll be strange to have a bun not used to people.

Petzy, that’s a good idea, I was thinking bathroom, but the cellar would be perfect. The washing machine is down there too for added stress.

Watch this space for some bonding updates in the next few weeks. Will get pics of the new little guy on the welcome page when I pick him up next week!

C x

• Catalina
              Participant
              132 posts Send Private Message

Congrats on the new bun!

The bonding of my 2 boys was super easy. I didn’t really do any bonding sessions though.

• Chucklebun
                Participant

Ok, so the other half has said no to having him in the living room – mainly cos of his asthma, so I can’t really argue. My question is, if I put him in Dylan’s room with him, is it better for them to see each other (as long as they can’t get at each other), or would it be a better idea to put the cage for the new bun on a big desk I have in there? I suppose they have to meet at some point – though with the new bun not getting snipped till early next week, will this just cause issues?
                  C xx

• Beka27
                  Participant

It could cause issues with litterbox habits especially, but if that’s where you have to put him, there’s really nothing you can do about it. Make sure both cages are secure and neither bun can get within 3 inches of the other cage while they are out, since they can fight thru the bars and cause injury to each other.

• Karla
                    Participant
                    1624 posts Send Private Message

I am not sure I would recommend it, but every bunny is different. You can try to put him in a cage in the room and see how they react to each other, but I have been trying to bond two males without luck for 2-3 months now, and I think the main mistake was that the two males met way too early after the neuter. And now, all they can think of is killing each other. And like you, I don’t have room for two bunnies who hate each other. So, don’t take any chances at all.

I wish you the best of luck with the bonding! I really hope it works out.

• Chucklebun
                      Participant

Eek, oh dear, hopefully it’ll work out. I’m not particularly worried about litterbox habits – Dylan has ruined the carpet anyway! And the new bun will have a cage that he’s in – with everything yummy going in a bowl in his litterbox, hopefully he’ll get the idea.

I’ve set up the cage on top of the desk. Off to pick up the new bun now, and pop onto the vets on the way home for a quick check up. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll have to try to persuade Mr that it’ll be ok in the living room for a few weeks, even if it mean vacuuming every 3 hours!

I feel a little irresponsible just doing this on impulse, but when she said she didn’t want him I just couldn’t say no. She has said she’ll take him back if they hate each other, but I know a local rescue that I could take him to if I try everything and it doesn’t work out. I just don’t want him to spend the rest of his life alone in a hutch. My first bun did that (I had him too young really) so I guess this is kind of atonement. I still feel guilty.

Right, off to get little no name, wish me luck, will post pics as soon as he settles in :-/

C xxx

• Beka27
                        Participant

Good luck!!! With work, most bunnies can bond eventually. You’ve just got to think positively!

• Chucklebun
                          Participant

Well, the new bun is home. And to keep top the bonding theme – Dylan seems to be totally ignoring him. Even though he’s two feet above him and they haven’t been formally introduced, I like to think this is a good start?!

I’m putting a bit more info about LJ in a couple of other topics. I’ve a feeling I’m going to need some help with this one!

C xxx

• Chucklebun
                            Participant

** two feet’s not a lot – it’s actually over three – i measured! Otherwise Dylan would definately be interested. In his food!
                              C xx

• jerseygirl
                              22345 posts Send Private Message

Personally, I would put off bonding until at least 4 weeks after LJ’s neuter and you’re more certain about what’s going to happen with his dental issues. The time for after his snip to allow the hormones to settle. The reason I bring up the dental issue is that if you have to take LJ in for regular trims, this can actually effect rabbit bonds when they pick up smell from the vet office. Ideally, once bonded, you could take both rabbits in if LJ does needs tretament. Especially while the bond is new .

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING New bun – small house!