Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE New bun and soft poop

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • TinyPaws
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! I just got a new Holland Lop bunny two weeks ago, a bit of an unplanned pet from my friend. While he is not a pet I ever planned on getting, I intend to do as much research as possible and give him the best care! It seems I have been researching non stop but still left with a few questions.

Since having him, his poops have been pretty normal but a couple of times a day he has a few pellets that are very soft and stinky and smashed on the bottom of the cage. I am thinking this may be some extra cecotropes? He was slowly transitioned to his new food. I am wondering if his diet is okay. Some information: He is 10 weeks old and weighs 2.5 lbs. He gets 1 tablespoon of adult pellets in the morning and another tablespoon in the evening, he has unlimited access to alfalfa hay. No veggies yet but as a treat he gets 2 dehydrated banana slices a day.

Also, I know he is young but am wondering some things about litter box training. He has a litter box in his cage with access to hay in it but he NEVER uses the litter box. He poops and pees all over the cage and uses the litter box as a bed. I have tried adding a bed for him, giving fleece, leaving the bottom of the crate bare but regardless he goes on everything but the litter box. He does not seem to be worried about marking though. As of now he NEVER poops outside of the cage when he is allowed out and has only peed once. I am just wondering if there is something else I should be doing to get him to go in the box or do young buns just not get the concept?

Lastly, is there an age where you pretty much know their personality type? He is super sweet, chill, has never bitten me, not very affectionate though but I am perfectly okay with that. Just wondering if this is the personality I can expect of him or do their personalities change after a certain age?

Thank you for any and all help!

• jerseygirl
        22342 posts Send Private Message

Welcome TinyPaws !

My first rabbit was an “acquire first, research after” scenario. I hope your journey is as rewarding as mine has been.

At 10 weeks, it would not be unusual to see some excess cecatrophs. Tweaking the diet a bit is always a good starting point.
          I would nix the banana treat as that could be a culprit. Try avoid sugary type treats when they are this young. As a treat, you could offer some dried willow leaves, apple or pear leaves. Although it doesn’t sound like much of a treat to us, rabbits really love them.
          It’s often recommended that young rabbits are on both alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay. However, that can be too rich for some. So the combo of either; adult pellets + alfalfa hay (like you have done) or Alfalfa pellets and grassy hay can work better for some rabbits.

If you start to see an increase in the soft poops and not change after some diet modifications, I suggest getting him check for coccidia infection. At this point, it doesn’t sound too bad if only producing a couple messy poops. Fingers crossed!

Also, I know he is young but am wondering some things about litter box training. He has a litter box in his cage with access to hay in it but he NEVER uses the litter box. He poops and pees all over the cage and uses the litter box as a bed. I have tried adding a bed for him, giving fleece, leaving the bottom of the crate bare but regardless he goes on everything but the litter box. He does not seem to be worried about marking though. As of now he NEVER poops outside of the cage when he is allowed out and has only peed once. I am just wondering if there is something else I should be doing to get him to go in the box or do young buns just not get the concept?

What size is the litter box? Perhaps a bigger one is worth a go. Or adding a bigger one in along with what he has.
          Do you put hay in the box or in a hay rack above the box? A good way to get them pooping more consistently in the box is putting the hay there.

It may be just his age. When rabbits reach “puberty” especially, they can regress in litter habits. Sometimes it’s not until they are desexed that you’d start to see positive changes.

Lastly, is there an age where you pretty much know their personality type? He is super sweet, chill, has never bitten me, not very affectionate though but I am perfectly okay with that. Just wondering if this is the personality I can expect of him or do their personalities change after a certain age?

I *think* people generally say when they reach adulthood you get an idea of their true personality. Baby rabbits can be very sweet and quite trusting. Pubescent rabbits can be really annoying! My own experience with male rabbits is the baby vs adult personality is pretty similar but they are just toned down more in adulthood. The passage of time also comes into play with their level of trust in you & just the bond between you developing.

• TinyPaws
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions! I just added the banana slices yesterday and the occasional few soft marbles started a couple of days ago so do not think that is the cause, but will certainly leave them out for now and see what happens.

I do put the hay directly in the litter box. As for size, it is big enough for him to lay and stretch out in (which he definitely does often lol).

I am trying to prepare myself incase he changes some but gosh he sure is a great bunny <3 He flops A LOT, like a good 5 times a day at least. He has a favorite spot on the floor he loves to flop into, also flops in his litter box haha. He pretty much always does ?binkies? when I let him out of the cage, but he also loves going back in his cage once he?s tired himself out. I?ve read about some buns with big attitudes who don?t appreciate going back in! <br>

He is also very bold though, since day one he has not been fazed by loud noises including the vacuum or the dog that does not like him. If something is in his way, he will use his nose to push it out of his way. If it is too big he will pick it up with his teeth and throw it out of the way. If I’m sitting in his path he will try to push me for a few seconds then give up, never uses his teeth. Fingers crossed he stays even half as easy going as he is

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE New bun and soft poop