Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING New bond mate and new kitten

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemski
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys, so we are getting my bun a bond mate next weekend. We also adopted a kitten who is super chill and easy going. My poor bun freaks out anytime he even gets semi close to her cage. He hasn’t shown any signs of aggression, just kind of looks in there. I have been trying to keep him in a separate room for now while she adjusts. Any pointers? Also now I’m worried about introducing a mate. Is that too much change at once? Any advice is welcomed. I can not take her one dates but the resume we got her from is doing a foster to adopt with this little fella but I’m more worried it’s too much change and just feel awful

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

HRS has a few resources on rabbit + cat relations. I know getting a livable bond between cats and rabbits is possible, and I also know there needs to be an understanding that there are circumstances where it just might not work.

https://rabbit.org/can-cats-and-rabbits-get-along/
          https://rabbit.org/rabbits-and-cats/
          https://rabbit.org/cats-and-rabbits-2/

Unfortunately, I’m not experienced with this so I cannot give specific advice, but these places may be a good start.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

That’s stressful. 🙁 I’ve had a few foster bunnies that freaked out over my cat, whereas other’s don’t mind at all. How long have you had the kitten? More time might be the best solution, as even the buns I fostered that initially were very afraid of my cat eventually got used to him. I think short term, best is to help keep the kitten away from the bun’s cage so the bun doesn’t feel threatened. Adding a hide box within the cage or covering part with a blanket might also help the bun feel less vulnerable.

I don’t think this should impact the bonding with the new bunny. If the new bunny is more bold, it actually might help. I’ve witnessed the buns that were more afraid of my cat realize they could stand up to him after watching my fearless bunny chase the cat away.

Also how does the kitten behave towards the bun? It’s kind of a vicious cycle if the bun is afraid, because cats like to chase. So as long as the cat isn’t actually trying to catch the bun, it can help to pet the bun and keep them calm when the cat approaches. If the bun doesn’t run, chances are the cat won’t chase. Then the bun learns they don’t have to run, etc. Of course this is a dif story if the cat is actually trying to hunt the bun. Might be hard with a kitten as they just want to pounce on everything, but at least at this point the kitten is small so maybe you bun will learn to boss him around a bit. 😉

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Lemski
            Participant

Thanks! These are helpful

• Lemski
              Participant

That helps me feel better. I would feel awful if they could not come exist. We have only had the kitten 2 days. The kitten has just shown interest. Like will look in her pen but if he comes too close she starts circling the cage and thumping. I haven’t had my bun out of her cage while they were in the same room after her initial reaction (he went to sniff the cage and she started thumping and circling).

ill give it a little more time and then maybe try to have them in the same room. I’m not sure if she would let me hold her. She’s pretty independent but does like petting on her terms. I might try to hold the kitten and let her come up and sniff if she is interested.

• DanaNM

Oh yeah! 2 days is nothing, hopefully she will calm down. I think holding the kitten and letting bun come out and sniff on her own terms might be helpful too.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Hazel
                  Participant
                  2587 posts Send Private Message

She probably feels cornered being locked in her cage while the kitten is closing in. I would put the kitten in a carrier in the rabbit’s room, and let the bun out of the cage. That way she can investigate on her own terms without any unpleasantness.

• Lemski
                    Participant

I ended up putting the kittens blanket by her cage a few days. Then I let them out in the same room for short periods of time. She still gets a little upset if he comes too close to her cage but over all she’s been SO much better!!!

• DanaNM

That’s great! 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING New bond mate and new kitten