Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR New Aggression?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Staja
      Participant
      59 posts Send Private Message

So, for the past 4 years, until this past October, Warren had been the sweetest, most laid back bun anyone could dream of.  Then we moved in with cats, and the cats started teaching him bad habits. (Warren never tried to mount anything, until after we moved here. I swear the cats told him what he was missing) He got along with the cats, but the black cat always wants to wrestle him.

Well, as you may know, I decided to put a stop to the 3 lbs of sexual harassment, and Warren got neutered on Jan 2.  The recovery went well and Warren has finally stopped being amorous with my hand.  Since the surgery though, Warren seems to have become aggressive against the cats. Last week, he growled and lunged at the black cat, when the cat tried to sneak in his cage.  Warren had never had issue with this before.

And then this week, my roommate brought his camera and new flash up to take some photos of Warren.  Now, Warren likes people and has nothing against my roommate, but again he growled and lunged. This time, I’m thinking it was because he didn’t like the sound the fliash made. 

Now, if that weren’t enough, over the weekend, I was going to bring Warren downstairs to meet some of my friends.  Of course, one of the cats snuck in, but this was the docile cat that just wants to chill with Warren. So, I’m trying to entice Warren out of his cage with a papaya bit (or bunny crack, as I call it, because of his reaction to it ) and Warren is growling and boxing up a storm  – first time I’d ever seen him try to box me! As a side note, Warren was fine as soon as  I scooped him up. (He doesn’t mind being held, as long as I’m not trying to give him meds)

So, he’s still my sweet tempered little guy when it is just him and I playing, and he likes other people (as long as they don’t have cameras).  But, does this mean he doesn’t like the cats anymore? Or that he won’t get along with another rabbit?  My goal for this month was to start bunny dating him, so he can have some bunny companionship.

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm. How is his health? Does he seem to be eating and drinking normally? Try lightly squeezing his tummy and run your hands over his body and see if there’s any injuries (such as scabs or any places that he seems overly sensitive). It is possible that Warren is in a little bit of discomfort from something and could be lashing out. Usually buns don’t become more aggressive after being neutered. Oh, and of course I have to ask – is he a dutch?

• Staja
          Participant

He was definitely healthy when we went in for the neuter a month ago, and he healed with no complications.  I gave him a 30 minute bunny massage last night (he just blissed out to the long full body strokes), and I didn’t feel anything abnormal.

He is eating and drinking as much as normal and his output is as admirable as ever. He still gets hyper for treats, and super-excited when I walk into the room.  I’m thinking he is just really not into the cats climbing into his cage. Both cats were in Warren’s room earlier, and they touched noses through the NIC panels, but the cage door was closed and there were no signs of aggression.

*shrug* Maybe Warren doesn’t want the cats near because he’s uncomfortable while he’s shedding.

And no, he’s not a Dutch.  He’s a Netherland Dwarf.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

can you try having him in a completely cat-free zone and see if he is happier?  it seems like they’re his main cause of annoyance.

• Staja
              Participant

Warren and I share a room, and 99% of the time it’s cat-free.  However, being cats, they want to go where they aren’t allowed to be, and try to sneak in.  I stop it as much as I can, and do my best to make sure they aren’t in the room when Warren gets is out-of-cage time. 

I’m more concerned about Warren’s receptiveness to getting a mate, though.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

it is possible that it’s post neuter hormones or readjusting back into the house afterwards. It sounds like his aggression is about laying down the lay and showing he’s in charge. Rabbits tend to be very territorial and hierarchical, and it sounds like he’s gotten very territorial about his bunny zone.

here’s an interesting article about cats and rabbits that may shed some light on their dynamic.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR New Aggression?