Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Never Saw This Level of Aggression Before!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • HesaBadBunny
      Participant
      31 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I had an account here prior but it seems to be have been lost in the transition of the site a few years ago. Never really had issues with my bun so I haven’t popped in for questions.

My current bun is a 7 (almost 8) year old mini Rex. He is healthy and active. (I’ve had buns for 20 years at this point.)

That said, about 2 years ago, I noticed a change in his behavior. It is not that he was ever mellow, but he distinctively became more…grumpy?!  He began to grunt and lunge at food/water changes or putting hay into his hutch day or not. (He is free to wander the flat during the day but goes into the hutch at night.) Anyway, we had him checked out and vet says he’s fine. Eats well, goes to the bathroom normally (as in a lot), grooms, everything.

Tonight I saw something I never saw before with my time with rabbits. He was digging in a pile of blankets..you all know the game of pushing them, pulling them, chewing them as he tries “to build” whatever he wants. But then, he attacked a stuffed toy, as he in grabbed it hard, grunted, pulled it down, pushed it under him, rolled to the side, and just kept slamming it with his back paws. It looked as if he “killed” it. The other person and I looked at each other like “What the heck just happened?” At first I thought it looked like seizure, but I know it wasn’t that.

Some stuffed toys he could not care less about. Another one I saw him grab its belly and drag it off.

Did I simply witness a crazy fight?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Welcome back!

This is really interesting and unusual!  So, I have a senior male bun who has tended to show an uptick in hormonal behaviors as he’s gotten older, and I know that’s not uncommon. I wonder if his “hormonal” behaviors are manifesting as aggresion??

Do you know if his vision has gotten worse? I’m wondering if maybe he can’t see that well and is lashing out at things he can’t see? Especially if there is an unfamiliar smell or sound he could get frightened and attack? Was the person who was there when this happened a visitor?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HesaBadBunny
          Participant

Hi DanaNM,

Thanks for your reply. May I ask if your senior male bun has been neutered? My bun was neutered at around 8 months old and while it stopped his humping and spraying, it didn’t really do much for his aggression! He has always been a little jerk (sorry, I love him beyond words, but he’s kinda mean!). He does have his super sweet moments when he wants to do them though.

As far as I can tell, his vision is doing okay. I see him checking out things and definitely staring at me when he wants something. That said, his next trip to the vet, I will ask the vet to have a closer look. This is something I am going to consider with his age. The person was a visitor but it is someone my bun knows well. He babysits him when I have to go away for treatment and stuff.

I know sometimes that when my bun gets really into digging, especially with a lot of blankets to throw around, this makes his excitement transition to aggression. Like, “leave me alone, I am digging and building and busy!” Just this stuffed animal attack was something I haven’t seen before. Do you think he got so excited from digging/building that he got territorial and the stuffed animal was there? (It was a plush candy cane and the other was a Care Bear.) Other stuffed animals he just doesn’t care. He’s lunged at me at when I’ve cleaned up after his poop during the day or put hay down in his “feed station” which I get is defending his territory.

I have always treated him kindly and trying to figure out how this could have been a learnt behaviour from my part.

I knew to rule out any health issues first and the vet says that he is healthy. I will say at the vet, when he is scared, my bun turns into a lovebug like “Hold me, away from the scary man.” Sorry for the rambling!

• LBJ10
            16899 posts Send Private Message

Older neutered males can develop hormonal issues due to increased levels in testosterone being produced by the adrenal glands. This is caused by an adrenal issue. I think Dana is on to something. This could just be hormonal behavior that is being translated into aggressive behavior.

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

Yes my bun is neutered, not sure when but I think when he was much younger.

And yes if you’re bun was always kind of aggressive that makes a bit more sense too!

One thing that seems to help with one of my buns that was cage aggressive when I got her was to always “tell” her what I’m doing. I literally say “Ok Bonnie, I’m just going to refill your hay now”, and I always make sure she has the pen door open and an “escape route” when I’m doing things in her pen. Ideally I don’t clean or mess with stuff while she’s in the pen. I’ve only had her about a year and a half now but she was very cage aggressive when I got her (after being in the shelter for 3 years, poor baby, and she is doing much better now.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HesaBadBunny
                Participant

I am glad that your bun found a home with out after 3 years in a the shelter! Wow!

Some very interesting thoughts here, especially about the older males becoming hormonal.

When increased testosterone is from an adrenal issue, is this something that naturally happens with age OR is it an issue that needs looking into? Sorry, I kinda split ends on words to know if I have to do something!

I can live with it being a generic issue that happens but if there is an issue (like sickness) I’d like to help. If that makes sense….

Thank you both for the insight and advice!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Never Saw This Level of Aggression Before!