Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE neutering and bits…..

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • ea hurse
      Participant
      102 posts Send Private Message

as i mentioned on another thread, Lollo is going for a pre-chop check-up next week. when i called the vet i was asked if his testicles had dropped. here’s the thing, i think they have – i saw what i thought were they this morning when he was trying to chew through the top of his ‘dog cage’ (yes he now has a hutch and a cage, spoilt bunny!) The thing is theyre not very big. What a strange question, but how big are they supposed to be and are they small because he’s still a bit immature? can’t believe i’m starting this thread but i can’t seem to find much on this kind of detail when i googled rabbit anatomy.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Hey, Loopy-Lop – Depends on the size of a the bunny, but usually when they first drop, they are a little bit larger than the size of almonds. Here’s a picture:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexingboys.shtml 

Note: they can retract them when they are scared.

• ea hurse
          Participant

brilliant () that has answered it!

• Sarah Jones
            Participant
            99 posts Send Private Message

and at what age should you get this done, because my rabbit book says that getting it done as soon as they’re done is possible? which is between 10 and 12 weeks usually? is this correct? i’m hoping to get dougal a lady friend and want to do it sooner rather than later. seeing when he drops “his almonds” should also help me give an exact age. i think he’s 11 weeks now?

• Sarah Jones
              Participant

p.s. those pictures were “special.” *runs off mortified*

• Anita Stark
                Participant
                194 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for posting that link.. Now I’m 99.999 percent sure that Sable is a boy bunny. He seems pretty fully developed but he hasn’t been acting crazy or anything yet. Although he did lunge at dh’s hand a couple of times the other night…

• BinkyBunny

It really depends on the vet, but most vets like to wait until around 4 months, though with females, some like to wait until 6 months.  Though I do know some very experienced vets that will do it earlier.

Here is a really great link to the HRS site, that discusses all the facts  and even what to expect with pre and post op care.  It also gives advice about how to screen vets to make sure they are rabbit savvy enough – important!   http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

If you don’t already have a rabbit savvy vet, here is a link to rabbit vets in the UK.(maybe you’ll be able to find one that’s actually near you.)  http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_EU-UK.html   You can scroll down to get links to more rabbit vets. 

It’s still advised to screen them with the questions provided in the first link just to make sure!

• Sarah Jones
                    Participant

ah, so i should be able to do boy dougal when they drop then!

i have a vet who sorted dougal out with his ear, but wouldn’t trust him with this. my mum’s vet used to do all our rabbits and is very good so he will be going there. he’s not on there, though st albans road is near me and my mum. i’m actually centrally based in london – not vet heavy or rabbit heavy i don’t think!

i go to the maldives for two weeks in two weeks as i’ve finally got a new job. i’m hoping that he will have dropped by then and he’ll also be 4 months old so i can leave him with my mum and get him done at the vet there. this will also mean he associates horrible b*llo*k removing pain with my mum rather than me so he will still love me, at least until doyle his lady friend has arrived!

great webpages btw!

• BinkyBunny
                        Posted By loopy-lop on 08/06/2006 10:57 AM
                        brilliant () that has answered it!

I’m glad I could be of help!

• BinkyBunny
                          Posted By sazemoo on 08/11/2006 9:19 AM
                           i’ve finally got a new job. i’m hoping that he will have dropped by then and he’ll also be 4 months old so i can leave him with my mum and get him done at the vet there. this will also mean he associates horrible b*llo*k removing pain with my mum rather than me so he will still love me, at least until doyle his lady friend has arrived!

Congratulations on the new job! New jobs can be exciting, nerve wracking all the the same time.

Great idea, make your mom the bad guy…eh…gal.   Especially since you and Dougal are beginning to bond.

Note: Males tend to recover more quickly from surgery than females as the surgery is less invasive. I actually had to keep my bunny from running around so soon. He was rarin’ to go.

When I got a second bunny, my first didn’t become less affectionate.   It’s so funny with mine – I pet one bunny and another one runs over, shoves his/her nose in to join the cuddlefest.  

• Sarah Jones
                          Participant

dougal’s got testicles! yay! woohoo! he can be done. he’s in for nail clipping next week on wednesday, the day before i go away, so i’m going to ring and see if he can fit him in, i’m also going to ask a few of the questions i should ask about neutering and vets as we only ever got one done in past and she died… but it could’ve just been bad luck. i will find out, as he is good with all our buns otherwise. and our guinea pigs!

when he stays with mum i’m making him a c&c mini cage. so it will be smaller and he will probably be annoyed. good news is my mum will be at home all day for free time, and also, he will probably not need so much space for few days after op? is that about right?

oo goodness! currently scanning for a girlfriend in local rescues!

• Sarah Jones
                            Participant

actually, think it was the mixy jab our bun died from. this is the vet i’ll be going to. he seems to consider rabbits up there!

http://www.alistairpoole.co.uk/

• Theresa Moan
                              Participant
                              249 posts Send Private Message

Hi Sazemoo,
                                If I were you, I’d pick out a few bunnygirl options that you would like to adopt from the web, and then let Dougal chose his mate in ‘person’.  In the long run, bonding will be much easier than if you were to just pick out a girl yourself and surprise him with her on his turf.
                                Good Luck!!
                                1823301224671.bmp

• Sarah Jones
                                Participant

oh i will be. unfortunately, despite having a cage the size of my flat, it’s not 6 feet wide, so apparently i won’t pass home checks. so at this rate, dougal won’t be getting a little friend. *sigh*

• BinkyBunny

Yeah!  Yippeee!!! The jewels are out!      LOL!!!   

It is unusual for a bunny to die during spay/neuter surgery (w/ a rabbit savvy vet)  so it was either bad luck or vet who hadn’t worked enough with rabbits.

Look like a few of you here are all in the same boat with surgeries coming up.

Yes it is right that he will need to chill out for a few days.  No crazy running around.  Males are harder to settle down as they usually get over the surgery within a day, (it’s much less invasive).  I remember the vet said I would have to keep him from jumping up and down on things too much. 

I know this surgery will most likely be harder on you because of the terrible thing that happened in past.  So when you get a date, just post it, and we’ll all be here to support you as the day grows closer.

I can’t remember if I gave you the link to vet screening questions or not.  You may already know them, but if not I can get that link for you.

One thing for sure – if they say the fast a bunny prior to surgery – RUN!

• Anita Stark
                                    Participant
                                    194 posts Send Private Message

It does seem like there are a lot of us in this boat.  Sable has his first visit with the vet this coming Monday.  Hubby and I are both going so we can check the vet together.  If all seems right, we will be setting his date.

When I phoned around I used the screening questions from the HRS site.  Though some gave the "right" answer, this vet was the only one that went on to explain the reasons for the answer.

I am just so glad to have this site to come to.  I don’t know what I would have done otherwise.  The other  sites have a lot of info but only this one has such great support behind it.

Thanks BinkyBunny!

• BinkyBunny

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I was out for a couple of days, and so I am late and getting back to everyone, so part of the "support" is delayed.   Now we have two board leaders to help with the volume.

I am so happy to hear that  you were able to use the HRS screening questions to find the right vet.   And the fact the vet took time to explain…that’s awesome!

Let us know what the date is so we can offer support and well wishes.

• ea hurse
                                        Participant

sorry to drag up an old thread but i still cant create a new one… i’m considering speying Chino (not myself i might add) and just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the ‘right’ age to go for it. She’s 5 and a bit months now and is THE most loving little girl yet fiercely independant too. she actually huffs if i dont pick her up now (and for you guys who were with me when i first got Lollo you’ll know what a shock that’s been!) i would hate for her to change but i know i wouldn’t want to be responsible for a preventable cancer. anyway, getting off the subject slightly- with it getting nearer Christmas would it be wise to wait til the new year? or is now a good time or too early?!!

• BinkyBunny

It depends on how comfortable your vet is with it.   Some vet prefer to wait a minimum 6 months while others are fine after they have already seen the bunny and determine that doing it earlier is okay.

Sorry if I have forgotten, but do you already have a rabbit savvy vet?

I think you will see some changes in her for the first month as her hormones levels are changing, but she should be back to her old self soon enough. 

NOTE:  So you still cannot post a brand new post?  Does the post option just not exist for you, or when you click on it, it doesn’t work? 

We will AGAIN be making some changes within the next couple of weeks, so hopefully this strange problem will be solved.

• ea hurse
                                            Participant

hi binky. i can only use quick reply box- i cant post start a new topic nor can i ‘add reply’, when i click on either of the options i get the critical error message still.

here is a paste of what i get:

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 Logout ea hurse
                                              A critical error has occurred.
                                              Input string was not in a correct format.
                                              Copyright 2006 BinkyBunny.com – All Rights Reserved

did you find out if it’s to do with me having an imac?

• ea hurse
                                              Participant

oh, and yes my vet is rabbit savvy though hugely expensive. i thought i’d check out a different vet that i hear are also savvy but i heard they may like to wait until a bit older; i’ll check them out anyway before i make any decisions.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE neutering and bits…..