Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Neutering

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • cookie627
      Participant
      387 posts Send Private Message

I am planing to get my Cookie fixed the begining of Augest. Or whenever in Augest. So How long does it take to heal after surgery? And what do you need to do For them to feel comfortable? Please give me information!!!

• Bunnies4ever
        Participant
        368 posts Send Private Message

I think males heal faster than females; at least that was my experience. Both my buns were sent home with pain meds. Kahlua was pretty much okay right after surgery. He was eating and pooping like a champ. Chloe was different. She just basically sat in the corner of her cage, not moving. She barely touched her pellets but was eating some hay. Starting to feel alarmed, I went to the supermarket and brought some fresh basil (her favorite herb). I took a sprig and waved it under her nose. I put the sprig down and left the room. I went back a few minutes later and the basil was gone. I think they feel like crap right afterwards (who wouldn’t?) Make them as comfortable as you can and make sure you get them to eat. Chloe bounced back to her old self in about two days, but it was scary.

• cookie627
          Participant

i bet it would be scary. feeling like dieing. wow. it’s amazing how they recover first their don’t even move a bone then they are all perky jumping around doing binkies! lol

• Deb~
            Participant
            4 posts Send Private Message

My little Cole was 3 months old when he was neutered and he was up and attum the next day……….he didn’t need any pain meds, although, neither did my girls……though it did take them a little bit longer.

I made sure they each had a soft bed to lay in and that’s exactly what Cole and Eva both did……I moved their little beds close to their food and water and they just stayed in bed, ate and drank.

Deb~

• Hedi
              Participant
              969 posts Send Private Message

Cooper was done a few weeks ago and he did so much better than the girls. But he had pain meds and the girlz didnt. He sat in a daze for a few hours and then he just snapped out of it and was fine. Munching hay and eating his food.

You can make sure you have his favorite foods on hand. You may also want to also have a water bowl in addition to his bottle (if he uses a bottle). He may not want to move too much and reach up for his water. I had to squirt his pain meds into a hollowed out raisin to get him to take is meds. I would also make sure he has a cool dry place to lay down. They say no running or jumping for 7 days. I wouldnt let him out that evening. Let him rest in his house. The next day you can go back to normal stuff but limit his running and jumping.

• cookie627
                Participant

oh thanks for all those helpful informaion! But i have heard in some posts that you need to feed papaya things? why is that?

• Deleted User
                  Participant
                  22064 posts Send Private Message

I have not heard about the papaya feeding … Sprinkles was up in about 2 days … it was awful seeing her just lying in her littertray … and the fact that I could not help her was terrible … she did not have any meds but Lily did after her spay. Lily hid in her box for a day but was pretty much good the next day.

• Hedi
                    Participant
                    969 posts Send Private Message

You dont have to feed papaya-it doesnt have to do with the surgery. it is a favorite treat to most buns so if they wont eat normal food they will eat their treat food and a lot of people give papaya as a treat. Papaya helps with all the fur the ingest while grooming.

• cookie627
                      Participant

oh! i thought they give papays to help them heal!! lol. guess i was way off!!

• Spacehopper
                        Participant
                        540 posts Send Private Message

make sure the vet doesn’t allow your bun to get heatstroke!!! If in doubt..take your own supply of frozen water bottles. (see my other post)

• cookie627
                          Participant

Spacehopper – why and how can they get heat stroke?

• MooBunnay
                            Participant
                            3087 posts Send Private Message

I think what Spacehopper was referring to is that at the vets office where she took her bun, there was no AC, and they did not properly cool down her bun afterwards, so he was in danger of getting heatstroke, so you could just ask your vet if they have AC in the room where the bun will be recovering, and if not bring some cold water bottles or something to keep the bunny cool.

When we had bunnies that had a tough time from recovring from surgery, we would offer fresh herbs (cilantro and parsley) and then break the stems so the buns could really smell the herbs, and that helped them get started eating again. You might also be able to ask your vet for some critical care from Oxbow in case your bunny has trouble eating.

I had one girl spayed that was not eating STILL after a couple days, so we had to syringe feed her. What we did was mix pellets with water until there was a soupy mixture. Then we ut it in a syringe, and very slowly and periodically throughout the day would give her some of the mixture. After a day this got her system moving again and she started eating! Also, keep an eye on the water, and make sure your bun is drinking a little water from time to time.

• cookie627
                              Participant

oh. . . ok that clears up things now.

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message

Papaya tablets are used to help with the normal digestion process – (and even that, some studies say it’s nothing more than a yummy treat) but regardless, papaya tablets are not used for post surgery care. 

I am so happy to hear that your are going to get Cookie neutered.  (dad changed his mind…yeah!)

Let us know as it gets closer so we can all send best wishes. 

Also bookmark this link as it will be helpful in knowing about pre and post surgery care. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#pre-post-care

Also, do you have a rabbit savvy vet yet?

• cookie627
                                  Participant

binkybunny – Well me and dad stil need to talk about it. and i looked in the HRS list for vets. so i want someone cheap. the cheapest it went was $181. It was like a Dupage animal hospital. (i think) And the vet was mary something. (forgot her last name) i plan to have the sugery in augest. I prefer the begining of augest. Well i am happy. Dad still thinks it’s cruel. But what does he know about rabbits?!?!?!? lol!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Neutering