Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Neutered male bunny problems

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunBun29
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone I am new here ☺️
        I got my first bunny six months ago, he is suppose to be a purebred Holland lop, the breeder told me he was a girl to begin with but about a week ago I found out “she” was actually a he lol 😝

anyways, I got him neutered this past Monday on the 20th.

When I first brought him home in April, he urinated and pooped a lot, I know it is normal in a lot of ways but, he marked a lot, always jumping on the bed and urinating two or three times in maybe twenty minutes. He particularly liked to do this on our bed.
        I read online that this was territory behaviour, but I was skeptical in some ways as he was so young at the time. Watching him closely I have noticed he doesn’t really do this anywhere else though. As time has gone on he does this more often, especially at night.
        Usually around 2am he will come into our bedroom, Jump on top of us quite strongly and pee on the bed.
        He is not “litter “ trained at all, I know they don’t really litter train it’s more that they like to be clean on their own, but he scatters his poop all over the house.

tonight he peed on the bed three times in about ten minutes.

he is a lovely bun, very friendly, doesn’t bite and loves cuddles. He’s a very quite and affectionate boy.
        I have three litter boxes with hay set up in various areas of the house that are his favourite areas that he goes to naturally, one of them in our bedroom, I feed him hay, pellets for his age bracket and various good, safe greens.
        has anyone else dealt with this? Thank you 🥺🥵

• Bam
        16836 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome to the BB forums!

First of all, a newly neutered bun will still have a lot of hormones circulating in his system. This will subside, but it can take 2-8 weeks, during which time the rabbit can display even more hormonal behaviors than prior to the neuter. This is absolutely normal, but its good to be aware of it ☺

Second, litterbox training is important. Rabbits do like to keep themselves clean, but they do need nudging  often quite a bit of nudging. Here’s some good tips from our Bunny Info pages:

https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/litterbox-training/

Rabbits do however like to pee on soft things, especially where there’s a strong scent of their humans or other pets in the household – like beds and sofas. This can be very difficult to stop, you often have to block the bun’s access to the bed or sofa for a period –  or even permanently.

To try and train the bun to not pee on the bed while you are in it, it’s important to have a  litterbox near the bed so you can put the bun in the box as soon as he indicates that he’s going to pee, or, because buns (as we all know) are extremely quick, while he is peeing. Also try and pick up stray poops and put in the box.

• BunBun29
          Participant
          3 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so so much Bam, I really appreciate this information it has helped so much!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Neutered male bunny problems