Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Neuter tomorrow, info pls!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jen
      Participant
      34 posts Send Private Message

Nemo is getting neutered tomorrow and im kind of stressed about it. Since he free roams my room anyway his x-pen is by my bed. I understand whats expected when it comes to his behaviour but im just kind of freaking out about what im supposed to bring besides his food. should i bring like a warm water bottle or what? do you usually get a syringe with the meds or do i need to but one? also is it okay to use a hayrack or will it open up his stitches if he stands up? I just really want to make sure i do everything right. also what kind of toilet is okay? the one he has now is a square cat toilet and it has sides that are maybe 2-3 inches tall, is that okay?

• OliverandElise
        Participant
        15 posts Send Private Message

How big is your bunny? that will help me with your hay question and potty question.

For critical care, syringe is usually provided by the dr. If you have questions feel free to ask them, they should teach you all you need to know.

• Jen
          Participant
          34 posts Send Private Message

He’s quite small since he’s a netherland dwarf

• carlthelop
            Participant
            3 posts Send Private Message

I had my rabbit neutered shortly after I rescued him because he was already almost a year old and I didn’t want to wait any longer on doing it. At that time, I didn’t know much about bunnies but here’s what I wish I knew:

The clinic that I had him neutered at stitched him up a little wonky and the sutures ripped open on one side almost as soon I got him home. I’m assuming this happened when he was hopping into his litter box to wee. I certainly wouldn’t use a very tall litter box to where bunny has to do much work to get in and out. After bringing him back to get his sutures fixed, I just laid litter down into the corner of his cage where he usually goes and he seemed to know what to do. It was a mess to clean but I didn’t want him in much pain.

They did not give me a syringe, instead they instructed me to hold him under warm water and sort of let the water run lightly to rinse him. I’m sure every situation will be different and your vet should know what to do. Don’t be afraid to ask like I was!

If your rabbit has a water bottle, I would immediately replace it with a ceramic watering bowl, or offer both to bunny. I did away with my bunns water bottle after neutering anyway, but if bunny has to do work to drink from a bottle he will be in pain

I used my hayrack for him but made sure it was exceedingly overflowing and lowered all the way to the bottom of the cage so he didn’t have to work much to get at it. Keep an eye out when you bring him home and see if bunny is comfortable with the hayrack, he might be okay.

I would suggest bringing an open top carrier to the vet with lots of blankets. You want bunny to be as comfortable as possible. I made a huge huge mistake of bringing a closed top carrier to the clinic with only one blanket and he was miserable on his way home ?

• OliverandElise
              Participant
              15 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Jen on 12/11/2018 6:45 PM
                He’s quite small since he’s a netherland dwarf

Love Nethies, I have 3

For my guys after neuter, each one was different. One I had to syringe feed critical care for 3 days, he was mopey and sore and didn’t want to move much. I made sure to keep everything extra clean for him and just put a pile of hay in for him until he was eating on his own. He was still able to get in and out of his litterbox just fine. I kept him in his enclosure for the week until his staples came out. Just limit the binkys and free roam to let him rest and then he shouldn’t hurt himself. My other bun was the opposite. He came out of surgery and wanted to eat hay right away. Never had to critical care him and practically had to restrain the poor thing for a week because he wanted to run around and try to destroy his sutures haha. Either way just take care to keep things clean and pay close attention to them.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Neuter tomorrow, info pls!