Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A neuter places

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • cookie627
      Participant
      387 posts Send Private Message

I am looking for vets to neuter Cookie. I was also wonder if you could neuter rabbits in a shelter. I have heard it was cheaper. But is it safe? i really need help!!

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Some shelters do neuter, you’ll still want a bunny-savvy vet.  Call and don’t be afraid to ask how many they have performed on rabbits and if there is an exotics vet on duty that can do it. I have a list of questions to ask a vet and I think BinkyBunny has that list available too.  As for the reliability/safety I cannot vouch as I have never used that venue but I know that there are some members here that work at shelters, maybe they’ll be able to help. 

Here is a list of questions to ask a vet & after-care:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#vet

List of Q’s to ask a  vet:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

This is a fairly new way of finding a vet as well through Goolgle:

http://www.vet.net/

Have you checked the HRS web site for vets in your area? http://www.hrschicago.org/articleslay1.html

You may also want to try the phone book and call for prices. I’m sorry I can’t help more. I’ll look around and see if I can find anything. If memory serves me correctly, there are some members here who live in the Chicago area and might be able to offer up more suggestions.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

Scarlett-Rose shared excellent advice, I’d recommend checking out the local HRS to see if they have a good vet suggestion. It is very important to have the spay performed by a vet that knows a lot about bunnies and does many successful spays every year.

• cookie627
            Participant

oh thanks. a lot of helpful info!!!!!!!

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Thank you gravehearted, that was very sweet of you to say! 

• cookie627
                Participant

oh i just reread everything and found. . . . "Ask if food has to be removed the night before surgery. The answer should be "no". Rabbits should never be fasted" But when i looked on a couple of websites it said you should fast your bunny. so what should i do fast or no fast?

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html got it from this site. (one website scarlet rose suggested) It’s under "What screening questions should I ask?".

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

Cookie – Bunnies have very sensitive digestive systems that *must* be kept moving or they can go downhill very quickly. Also getting your bun eating after surgery is often one of the top priorities and very important.

Any vet office that tells you to fast a bunny prior to surgery is not the right vet’s office. It’s a very clear sign that they a) don’t do a lot of spay / neuters and / or b) are not rabbit savvy.

ScarletRose – you’re most welcome, thanks for sharing the good wisdom

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! At my bunny savvy vet one time the receptionist asked if I had fasted my bunny – but the other one corrected her so I think sometimes you can run across a newbie or something, so don’t let that frighten you right away, if they say that ask them if they can confirm with the vet and then if they still say to fast them that is WRONG! I have heard that in addition to the fact that the buns need to keep their system moving, they are also incapable of vomiting, which is sometimes a fear with cats and dogs that if they eat before the surgery they could vomit and choke on it…of course that could just be a veterinary rumor…

• osprey
                      Participant
                      2065 posts Send Private Message

I have read the no vomit thing in several places too, MooBunnay.  Bunnies lack the muscles required to push the stomach contents back up to the mouth.  They have a fast digestive tract, so their way of dealing with contaminants is to get them through and out the back as quickly as possible. 

Anesthesia slows down muscle action, including the ones that move food through the intestines.  This is why some bunnies go into stasis after an operation.  Our litte Deanna went into stasis after her spay, partly because I was slow with her pain meds 🙁  A rabbit savvy vet will encourage you to feed your bun right up to the surgery, and to get him or her to eat as soon as possible afterwards.  A pooping bunny is a happy bunny!

• cookie627
                        Participant

so is it ok to give buns a bit more treats to make them eat?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A neuter places