Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Need opinions, please…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone!

I hope this picture comes up okay. I just wanted to show you this one that I snapped last night right before Mimzy fell asleep.

Does this picture make him look fat? And can you see his little extra chin? Or is that a dewlap?

(don’t anyone tell him I thought he might be fat!) 0.o;

121675730571.JPG

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

ahaaa yes a little plump he rounded out. he is pretty. shh don’t tell him he is fat just tell him he is pretty. and put him on a diet heeeeeheeee let it be a surprise shhh.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm he *might* be, can you feel his ribs when you pet his sides or is it “padded”?

• Lisa_43
            Participant
            1499 posts Send Private Message

Yes a little on the plump side. How much does he weigh?

• kimberleyanddarren
              Participant
              2520 posts Send Private Message

he doesnt look toooo fat as in it might be affecting him i think he is just on the ‘well loved’ kinda tubby which isnt going to bother him i dont think! looks healthy to me!

• MimzMum
                Participant

Yes, I can feel his ribs. He did get a little sedentary after his neuter, and puffed out a bit over the last few months. Even when I put him in his exercise run, he tends to just sit or lie down. I was mostly curious about the little chin flap though.
                  Not sure on his weight. I’m taking him in to the vet this week if I can get hold of her, as I am also concerned about his right ear, which is possibly bothering him and I don’t want it to go to a full blown infection.

• Deleted User
                  Participant
                  22064 posts Send Private Message

He looks fine to me LOL.  My Luey looks very similar to Mizzy.  Dwarf Lop Sooty Fawn … is your bun that make/model too LOL.

Leuy is a bit plump as well, however he gets no treats but he is a lazy sausage even though he gets time out every night for 4 hours.

Dawn xx

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

(your secrets safe with me!)

i don’t know if this guideline checks out with everyone else’s here but my vet says that a bun should have enough fat that you can’t feel bumps along their spine when you pet them, but not so much that you feel their tummy bulge out behind their ribs (along their side).  she says their tummy should indent slightly. behind their ribs. 

• Deleted User
                      Participant
                      22064 posts Send Private Message

LOL, I was wondering today if Shadow was fat. I was feeling for his ribs and poking his tummy. He eats like he has never seen food before and now he is less picky about hay and chows down on that like he was starving. And trust me, he has access to unlimited hay and gets treats from boy firiend aka “the good guy” as opposed to me “the bad guy”

To me lops always look plump. And in that picture he is bunched up so he does look plump.

• MimzMum
                        Participant

Well, we went in to see the vet today…are you guys ready for this? She said he measured out at a grand total oooooof……
                          TADA! (rimshot)
                          ………3 ounces heavier than he was back in December! Can you believe it?? 0.o

Man he sure LOOKS bigger! >_<

• MarkBun
                          Participant
                          2842 posts Send Private Message

Don’t worry about the dewlap. Even boys can develop one and it doesn’t mean they’re overweight.

• MimzMum
                            Participant

Well, I wouldn’t worry about it, except for that he really tends to focus on it during a wash…I’m afraid he’s going to pull it out, he’s so rough with it! 0_o

I guess for me, I remember best how little he was when we found him…and for those of us who have been moms…well you know how you never see how big your kids are growing until they are looking down at you when you tell them to go to their rooms and they say, “I don’t THINK so, shorty!” lolz……

• Spacehopper
                              Participant
                              540 posts Send Private Message

He’s cute, i love his little head. I’d rather my buns be a little on the portly side than all skinny and scraggy (Brian scared the life out me when he suddenly got skinny…fur ingestion!) So i’m far happier when i pick them up and find myself saying, “cor, you’re a bit hefty”. We have vet checks, just to keep on top of things like the weight, and they’ve had their treats cut down, much to their annoyance, but rather that than they be too overweight and unhealthy. 🙂

• skunklionshow
                                Participant
                                1257 posts Send Private Message

I was informed that post spay/neuter bunnies can put on a bit of weight b/c they do not get that extra metabolism boost from their sex hormones.  However, I would ask your vet for their opinion.  W/ some animals, the vet may be more comfortable w/ a slightly higher weight rather than a lower weight.  Leo tends to maintain on the low side of his weight spectrum, but my vet is a bit more comfy w/ him being more on the high end.  I think its b/c he can fluctuate very easily when his teeth bother him. 

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Need opinions, please…