Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Need litter suggestion for Charlie

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • whispercalm
      Participant
      89 posts Send Private Message

I’m having a problem finding a litter for Charlie since she the TSC pine pellets have irritated her respiratory track.

I’m trying to find a substitute for Yesterdays News without much luck.  I ordered a oxbow Ecostraw pellet litter for her thinking since it’s made of wheat straw and 100% natural it would be good. It came today and I was disappointed to find it has a chemical smell to it that’s pretty noticable. Kind of peppery and weird. Doesn’t smell at all like straw or hay.

I need to find a solution quickly. I see other paper pellet litter, but it has baking soda which I’ve heard is. Ot good for bunnies.

Her litter box set up is litter on bottom with a screen sitting on top and then hay on top of screen. I clean her box twice a day to remove any soiled litter and hay.

Any suggestions? I think Small Pet Selects may have a paper litter I can check on. What about the shredded paper litters on bottom of box under screen?

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Small Pet Select does sell pelleted paper litter.  They have 2 varieties.  One is supposedly for cats, although there are reviews on it from several rabbit owners.  The other pelleted paper litter is for small animals.  I don’t know what the difference is between them.  Neither one has baking soda.  The price may be higher than Yesterday’s News, but the litter does get good reviews.  Go to their website and put litter in the search box to see both varieties and the product highlights.

I use Oxbow Eco Straw, but I’ve never noticed a strong smell.  It has very little scent at all to me, but I do remember reading another comment from someone who didn’t like the smell.  I cover the pellets with Carefresh for a softer surface under my bunnies’ feet.

• whispercalm
            Participant

Thank you….Their paper pellets are probably the closest I’ll get to what she was using.

I let the bag of Oxbow Eco straw pellets air out  a couple days and have been using some of that now. It seems ok as far as I don’t think it is making things worse and the smell has lessened  to a degree it’s hardly noticable at all. This really isn’t a bad litter at all if she is able to continue to use it. It’s pretty absorbing. I do remove any soiled or wet material twice a day for her as I’ve always done.

I like your suggestion of putting a little Carefresh on top. That also would help minimize any Oder from the eco straw pellets.

I do use the screen set up already, so I would use the eco straw and some care fresh under the screen and I put a layer of hay on top of screen.

• Wick & Fable
            5771 posts Send Private Message

Small Pet Select’s version of the pine pellets are much less fragrant, in my experience, and also if you haven’t tried already, you can try putting down a litter screen to prevent dust/direct exposure to the litter: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rabbits/comments/sh5dzp/housing_example_litterbox_setup/

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• whispercalm
                Participant

Thank you. I do use the screen setup already and I love it. It’s such a great system.

• Bunniesareamazing
                Participant
                25 posts Send Private Message

Yesterdays news was discontinued 😭😭😭 it was so disappointing to me too. I currently am using small pets select paper pellets (the rabbit version) but they’re REALLY crumbly, I don’t know if the cat version is more whole or not. It tracks more that the paper bedding does but it more absorbent and odor locking. I do want to try the eco straw pellets actually, maybe the smell was from the specific seller you got it from? You could try small pets select pine pellets if you want, I think the scent does differ between the brands of pellets. I’m pretty sure it’s depending on how well they were kiln dried? Feline pine REEKS of pine like to the point where even I’m bothered by it, the rabbit rescue I know uses pine pellets (not sure of what brand) but they don’t have a scent at all. I am wondering about aspen pellets, I know Aspen shavings are safer than pine or cedar shavings because they have a lesser content of the oils. I just searched it up and they are a thing, kinda wanna try but I’ve heard nothing about it from other bunny owners. I would probably go with the small select newspaper pellets just to be on the safe side with your buns respiratory tract for now 🙂

would not use baking soda in the litter considering bun already has respiratory issues, I don’t think they really help with the odor that much either.

• whispercalm
                    Participant

I still may try these… I really do prefer paper pellet litter for her as there’s no issue of scent.

• DanaNM
                    8901 posts Send Private Message

What about carefresh? I used to use it before I switched to pine pellets and it works well. Maybe not quite as good on odor control but still pretty good and it’s paper based and has no smell.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• whispercalm
                        Participant

Carefresh definitely would be the easiest for me to obtain as I have to order anything else. Oder control wouldn’t be much of an issue because I clean her tray twice a day. Thank you for the suggestion.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Need litter suggestion for Charlie