Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Need help! 4 bunny bonding!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mandi
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

OK so up until a month ago I’d never had a rabbit in my life. We got two little boy bunnies, a black one named TZ and a brownish grey one named Thumper. We got them at the same time so they have no problem with each other. I don’t know how old they are but I know they were fairly young when we got them because in the month we’ve had them they’ve grown one and half times bigger than they were!

Now I didn’t have a problem with TZ and Thumper, till we went to the pet store and saw the cutest baby dwarf rabbits. They were probably about a month or two younger than TZ and Thumper. Unfortunately the one we fell in love with was a girl and we didn’t want to have to keep her seperated from the boys in a cage all alone so we got her and a little dwarf lop. Problem is I’ve never had to bond two bunnies before let alone four of them. Plus TZ and Thumper are about the size of a football now and Angel(The first one we wanted) and Flora(The lop)  are about both about the size of a baseball  How do you bond two itsy bitsy girl bunnies with two big rough and tumble boy bunnies?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Hi, amd welcome to the forum. — I have to say, you have your work cut out for you with this quartett of rabbits you now have. (Do you have photos?)
          As your rabbits were babies when you got them, they are obviously not spayed or neutered and once mature will get into fights. You really want to get TZ and Thumper neutered, and when they are old enough the females spayed as well. Then, you can move on to the bonding. You can’t bond them unless they are fixed.

• Mandi
          Participant

Thanks for the help. We were planning on getting TZ and Thumper neutered before we even got the girls so plans obviously wont change.

We let the big bunnies sniff at the girls through the cage when they’re out playing and Thumper and Angel have been trying to groom each other through the bars  Yes I do have pictures.

Angel and Thumper first meeting

Flora

Angel (love the heart on her lip )

TZ and Thumper

• mrmac
            Participant
            2156 posts Send Private Message

***SQUEAL*** Thumper looks identical to my Davey when he was a baby! ahhh memories! They are tooo cute!!!!!

• Deleted User
              Participant

Mandi, beautiful bunnies… that’s great you are already planning for the neuter! Since your boys are already buddies, and the girls, too, with each other, you are looking at bonding two pairs with one another. I’m sure someone on the forum has experience with this. I haven’t bonded a pair to a pair. It’s good that there is already a positive interaction happening between Angel and Thumper.

mrmac, what is this coloring called?

• mrmac
                Participant
                2156 posts Send Private Message

I’m not quite sure, but like a cinnamon/tort?

• Deleted User
                  Participant

hmmm! yummy: Cinnamon Tort!

• Mandi
                    Participant

I’m hoping some one can help with this, I’m sure I could do it by myself but it would be very nice if some one who had already tried the whole bonding pairs thing could give me some pointers! Flora is the same color as Thumper by the way if it wasn’t for her size and floppy ears I’d say they were twins!

• Deleted User
                      Participant

Mandi, for sure you can have success bonding two pairs if you bond each individual to each indidual first. I’m doing this right now with a trio.

• Mandi
                        Participant

I figured thats what I’d have to do. I think I’ll try for Thumper and Angel first (for obvious reasons) then Thumper and Flora. Thumper is the more dominate of the two boys so I figure if he’s ok with the girls TZ will be too.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

I think that sounds like a good plan. You have quite a ways to wait, but it’s good you’re thinking this thru now.
                            Just a head’s up, many people don’t realize this, but it is possible for a male to impregnate a female thru bars.
                            So you’ll have to limit any interaction like that very soon. They’ll still be able to be near each other, but you
                            want to have about 3 inches of space between them. You can accomplish this with a NIC grid wall or an xpen.
                            Keep us posted on how everything goes when the time comes!

• Furface
                            Participant
                            618 posts Send Private Message

I’ll be watching this thread for tips although since my 4 are older I will probably be ahead of you. LOL

• Mandi
                              Participant

Well the girls cage is on the other end of the room from the boys so the only time the boys get to interact with them is when they’re out playing and we have to watch them like a hawk anyways Flora and Angel want to go out and play with the big boys sooo bad! When we let the boys out both of the girls will rattle the cage bars in an attempt to get out. They’re settling down nicely though, when we first got them Flora was very skinny (she didn’t look skiny cause her fur was fluffed up and made her look big) and now shes putting on weight and she feels like a normal bunny! She’s geting more active now (Angel has always zipped around like a rocket) and today she was zigzaging around the room it’s the first time she’s ever done that before. We haven’t had any problems with the boys and girls fighting or humping or anything, just grooming through the cage, so I think the bonding process will be surprisingly easy.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Need help! 4 bunny bonding!