Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Need HAY

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
      Participant
      319 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone!  I live in SF bay area. I’ve looking to find a hay ‘farm’ that I can buy some hay in bales.  From what I’ve seen, it only costs $5 for 50lbs. I have the space to store it, so I figure why not?!?  And I figure since I’ll have so much, I can also donate some to rabbit rescues around here.  But I haven’t been able to find any hay farms around this area or anyone that would sell small quantity.  Does anyone know where I can get some bales of hay?

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

It’s very important to keep hay dry and a 50 pound bale is a LOT of hay for two rabbits. The fear is that it will start to mold, which will make your buns very ill. I know many feed stores sell hay by the flake (smaller part of a bale), which is still VERY cheap as well and I found it lasted my 3 bunnies at least a month.

some tips on storing hay: NEVER store hay in closed plastic bags. Fresh hay still holds moisture that may mold if kept in plastic. Plastic garbage cans with lids are adequate for storage providing the can is not left in high heat or direct sunlight. Card board boxes or woven nylon feed sacks allow the hay to breathe rather than sweat.

• Floppy
          Participant
          490 posts Send Private Message

I found this place from an ad in a bunnyfest mag that was in my

favorite petstore For Other Living Things in Sunnyvale (if youre ever

in that area, I soooo recommend checking out their stuff!)

Link to petstore: http://www.forotherlivingthings.com/cgi-local/animal_index.cgi

anyway back to the subject of Hay, they have Oxbow Hay there but

also I found this place in a Bunnyfest mag called The Hay Loft its in SJ

bunnyhayloft.com/store/supplies.html I hope that helps!

• osprey
            Participant
            2065 posts Send Private Message

I buy bales for my 3 and then I split them with other foster families in The Rabbit Haven.  Bales are about 100 pounds, and they cost between 15 and 25 dollars depending on what kind of hay you get.  Timothy is hard to find, I usually get orchard grass, which my guys like more anyway.  I also get oat hay in bales, and I’ll pick up a bale of alfalfa if The Haven has alot of babies at that time.  I do not feed the alfalfa to my adult bunnies.  There are two good places in San Jose.  One is Heide’s Hay Sales (http://www.heideshaysales.com/ , this is where I go to get hay) and Sam’s Downtown Feed & Pet Supply (http://www.samsdowntownfeed.com/ )

Heide is only open on Saturdays, Sam’s has better hours.  Sam’s has an indoor hay barn, so if you go there, please be sure to ask for a bale from inside the pile.  They have to spray for bugs, and some of it falls on the outside bales.  They are geared for horses, and rabbits can be sensitive to smaller amounts of contaminants.

For Other Living Things sells both Oxbow and American Pet Diner hays in various sizes.  This is the place to go to get the yummy second cut Timothy that so many bunnies like.  This is however, more expensive.  They also carry the Oxbow pellets, and loads of bunny toys, mats and baskets.  You can also get the Aspen Supreme litter here in 40 pound bags, as well as the huge bags of CareFresh.  If you go to For Other Living Things on the first Saturday of the month, The Rabbit Haven will be there having an adoption show, and you can get your bunnies’ nails done for free.  They also carry food and supplies for guinea pigs, rats, chinchillas, birds, cats and dogs.  It is a great store, and the people who run it (it is family owned and operated) are very supportive of us at The Rabbit Haven and of other rescues.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
              Participant
              319 posts Send Private Message

Thank you very much for such a great info! I was thinking of the same thing. I was going to keep some and share some with animal shelters.

As far as For Other Ling Things, do you know what time the Rabbit Haven adoption show is? I want to come in and get my bunnies nail clipped. It definitely would help to watch an expert do it.

• Floppy
                Participant
                490 posts Send Private Message

OMG as stated above I love For Other Living Things…but getting nails done for free!

Floppy is so going there, my attempts to clip his nails alone are successful but it leaves me

um…with battle wounds. I will take advantage of that free nail clipping for sure! Yay more

reason to visit that place!

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

I really like to support For Other Living Things – it’s a fantastic store.  Not only do they have tons of great bunny stuff, they don’t sell animals and host lots of rescue adoption shows.  They are also a big sponsor for Bunnyfest. 

sep1118 – all of the rabbit haven shows are on our website – http://www.therabbithaven.org/
                    I’m pretty sure they’re always the first Saturday of the month.
                    Below is the next one:

Name: Bunny Adoption Show at For Other Living Things
                    Date: Sat 3-Nov-2007
                    Time: 11:00am until 4:00pm

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

There will also be an adoption show at For Other Living Things on December 1.  The shows at FOLT are always from 11AM to 4PM, and we do nails at every show.  Stop by and say hello!  I go to almost all of the FOLT shows, my IRL name is Ray.  I’m usually there with my two daughters.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The topic ‘Need HAY’ is closed to new replies.

Forum DIET & CARE Need HAY