Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Need comfort. 8 weeks old Pom Pom died this morning

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rit
      Participant
      22 posts Send Private Message

We bought mini lop Pom Pom just 3 days ago. She was active and ate well. Mostly on hay and dried foods that pet shop suggested , was out on garden few times she ate some grass.

this morning found her dead with straight body lied on hay inside her cage. We kept her indoors always.  Very sad as she is our very first pet in our family. My 7 yrs old daughter cried and cried. We have no idea what happened. Pom Pom started having bond to us and brought us so much joy. We have so many questions in our mind. Did we do something wrong…

Please give us some support… emotionally

the pet shop is a family own small shop, they said they will give us replacement , but the point is… Pom Pom is gone..,

we want to learn from mistakes .. but what can we do next ? We don’t want to make same mistake….

• SweetPotato
        Participant
        100 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for the loss of Pom Pom! It must have been so traumatic. Maybe she got scared of something, or there was a chemical on the grass? Again, I’m so sorry for your loss! It sounds like you cared for her very much, and you gave her some fantastic days. <3

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry for your loss. 🙁

Young bunnies are very fragile, so it’s hard to say. Are you in an area with RHDV?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rit
              Participant

Thanks .
                We are not sure if our area with RHDV.
                Adelaide metro area . 

• Rit
                Participant

Yes, we now realised how fragile they are…

• DanaNM

My understanding is that RHDV is everywhere in Australia, but I’m not 100% on that.

Do you have a vet lined up? I’m not sure how young rabbits can be vaccinated, but it would be good to know whether it could have been RHDV before getting another rabbit, as it’s very contagious.

8 weeks is also very young, so it could have been a number of things. In the future I probably wouldn’t let a bunny that young outdoors, and especially not before getting vaccinated.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rit
                  Participant

Thanks you DanaNM, I also think it’s becoz of the grass.
                    We are not ready yet to get another rabbit, becoz we don’t have much knowledge or experience , and also emotionally we are not ready yet. That was sad to lose a rabbit. A new rabbit can’t replace the old one.

How many rabbits do you have? How old are they? Did you lose any rabbits before?

• DanaNM

It’s very hard to lose a bunny. 🙁

I currently have 4 rabbits (2 bonded pairs). I’ve had house bunnies for I think around 12 years, and have had 3 pass away over that time (Bunston, Moose, and Bertha). This forum has definitely been a source of support each time. <3

• Rit
                      Participant

Hi DanaNM,

Thanks for sharing your story. You have / had so many rabbits. You are definitely a bunnies lover!

Did you 3 rabbits pass away because of sickness or old age ? The house rabbit we lost was a mini loop bunny. The pet shop will give us another mini loop but I am not sure weather they are easy to raise.

rabbits do give us joy . They are lovely.

• DanaNM

One of the rabbits was old age, one was only 1 year old and had an unknown illness (the vet did a necropsy but couldn’t find a problem). Another was older (9), but was having symptoms of gastric distress. We don’t know if it was stasis or something like liver torsion. So it’s been a mix.

If you are considering another rabbit I would recommend reading through the Bunny Info section to make sure you are fully prepared. It would also be great if you could adopt a rescue if there is one in your area. That way the bunny would already be spayed/neutered, which can make things a lot easier.

• Rit
                          Participant

Thanks for your advices. Yes we have RSPCA , I am also thinking to adopt one.

new to this forum, will definitely read the rabbit info and get well prepared this time.

• BZOO
                            Participant
                            327 posts Send Private Message

So sorry for your loss.  No matter the age, it always sucks.

You sound like you are awesome people who did all you could.  The kind of people who should adopt another, or two, and share the love.

We are here for you.

• Rit
                              Participant

Thanks, we still want to have a rabbit. We love to give our love and care to rabbits

Viewing 10 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Need comfort. 8 weeks old Pom Pom died this morning