Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need Cat Behavior Info????

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

I know that we are a bunny forum, but I really trust everyone’s opinions and just want to get another perspective if I am missing something.  I’m hoping some fresh bunny ears could assist:

A friend has a male neutered cat that pee’s EVERYWHERE!  He was rehomed to her over a year ago, in the previous home he never had pee problems.  She has tried Feliway (that cat scenting plug in thing), retraining in a smaller room, adding litterboxes, trying new litter (so far most effective has been a cat attracting litter), and many other things.  She uses the high end enzyme type cleaners and the urine be gone…I recommended straight up vinegar. He came from a multi-cat household into a multi-cat household.  Kitty has been assessed by 2 vets and has a clean bill of health…”it’s behavioral not physical”.  They even tried putting kitty on prozac.  Nothing has worked.

She is at her wit’s end b/c she recently had a new baby and he now pee’s on the baby’s things.  He’s been relegated to one room in the house.  She feels very guilty about this b/c he’s by himself and away from everyone.  He gets visits w/ the other cats and her, but she still feels very guilty.  At this point she worries that he must go and knows that he won’t stand a chance at a shelter.

Any suggestions, questions, or recommendations for other kitty forums.  Please help!  You guys have been so great w/ all my bunny pee probs, so I”m countingon you.  Scarlet, you must know something I’m missing?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

How long did he live in the previous multi-cat household? Did he grow up there? It sounds like a territorial thing, it sounds like he must have been more comfortable around the cats in the first home than the ones in the new one. I don’t have cats myself so that is just an impression, I will ask around at work to see if anyone has cats and can give some insight!

• ScooterandAnnette
          Participant
          1090 posts Send Private Message

She should have a vet look at him and see if he’s got a urinary infection.
            – Annette

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
            Participant
            182 posts Send Private Message

Usually when a cat does this it means they have a urinary infection. I have a cat that did this as well. Also, big changes to the cats environment can make them do this. It might just take a while for him to get use to it and it will go away. Another thing is that some cats act weird around pregnant women. This could be a weird reaction to the pregnancy and the new baby.  I don’t know alot about bunnies(thats why i am on here alot) but cats, i do know  

• Sage Cat
              Participant
              1883 posts Send Private Message

In my experience with cats – they pee outside their litter box for 1 of 2 reasons: 1. territorial 2. they are sick

If he is getting a clean bill of health – they it would have to be territorial. How does he get along with the other cats? Although a year is a long time for a cat to get use to a new place.

I have also heard that a pregnant woman & then a new baby can really effect a pets behavior. So I would think It might have something to do with that.

Is it possible that he is saying ” I’m unhappy my other humans gave me up – I miss my old friends.” OR “I’m mad about being stuck in only 1 room while ever one else gets to run around the house – especially that new stupid baby!”

I have had very good success with some stuff called “NO GO”. The Dr. Foster & Smith Website (www.drsfostersmith.com) has some really good products that could help. Also Purina (/www.purina.com) has a “ask a question” section on their sight – I have gotten good information from them.

• skunklionshow
                Participant

I was going w/ territorial as well.  He grew up in his previous home (8 weeks to 2 years) & he lives w/ all new cats and people.  He has gotten a clean bill of health a few times, so we really don’t think it’s physical.  So if it is territorial and it is just b/c he is sooo angry w/ his current situation, can that be solved w/o him having to find a new home?  I’m going to forward all the info provided thus far, so any other suggestions w/b good.  I feel so bad for her b/c it’s obvious that she loves this cat and is committed to caring for him, she just doesn’t know how at this point.

• Sage Cat
                  Participant
                  1883 posts Send Private Message

It sounds to me like putting the cat in a new home is just going to make matters worse for the cat.

My vet always had a few pamphlets around from people who trained animals – especially animals who had behavioral problems. Has she asked he vet if they know a trainer that could help her?

Maybe kitty needs diapers? You think I’m Kidding? Check this out:  http://www.petdiapers.com

165354534871.jpg

• skunklionshow
                    Participant

The hubby always jokes (maybe he’s not joking) about putting diapers on our Wolfy, the cat w/ IBS.  I know that UPenn has an animal behavioral department, but she stated that she can’t afford to see them after spending so much money already.  So do “trainers” do the same thing as “behaviorists” or do some just do a little of both.  I’m wondering if our Spanish speaking friend, in Argentina–who I believe is a dog trainer can answer this question?

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need Cat Behavior Info????