Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need bunny help! (Friend’s rabbit)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • plpnt
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

My apologies if I’m posting this to the wrong topic.
        I’m posting this on behalf of my friend, who owns a young male rabbit. I don’t know the breed.
        She’s unable to visit a vet due to being in financial straits, and is out of state so I’m not able to assist. We’re currently trying to figure out what to do, as neither of us knows what’s going on with her bun. She says that he gets this kind of swelling and bald patches on his face like this every once in awhile, but this is the worst it has gotten.
        He’s still eating and drinking, and his eyes aren’t very runny, but it still looks concerning. She’s taken him out of his hutch to monitor him at the moment.

I’m unable to place an image as an attachment, but this link should hopefully work: http://ibb.co/h6Ls5V

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

This looks bad and the bun needs to see a vet. Could the black speck under the pink swelling be a bot fly larvae?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Cuterebra/Miyasis_botfly.htm

Google bot fly rabbits or warble  or cuterebra for more pictures.  They can be nasty though,  so be prepared.  

(Since this could be a parasitic infestation,  Im issuing the warning we always issue in these cases: Don’t use any compound containing fipronil on a rabbit. Fipronil is sold under many different brand names,  for example Front line.  It’s deadly toxic to rabbits but fine for cats and dogs).

• plpnt
          Participant

I asked her about it, and she says that the spot appeared just this morning, but the swelling was present before it. She’s not sure what caused it.
            I’m trying to find out what it could be, but it’s not too clear yet? At the moment, they’re lightly using a warm compress on the pink parts, and there seems to be pus coming out from the spot.

• Sr. Melangell
            Participant
            1708 posts Send Private Message

It could be an abscess, if it is, or Bot fly like Bam said either way bunny needs a vet, it could be so painful for the bunny, they don’t show pain like dogs or cats.

• plpnt
              Participant

I feel like she should visit the vet too, since that was immediately the first thing I suggested to her upon seeing the photo, but she doesn’t have any money to spare for the vet, as her family’s in a tough financial situation. I’m hoping to lend her some money if I can, but I don’t know whether she can even get to a vet in her area. That’s really the problem at the moment, so I’m not sure of what I can do;

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately, there isn’t much your friend can do for this. It’s just one of those things that needs to be addressed by a vet. Does your friend not have transportation?

• plpnt
                  Participant

At this point, I’m not even sure whether she can have her rabbit taken to the vet, as she’s just informed me that he is currently under her mother’s care, and whether she will go to the vet or not is up to her decision. (Her living condition is split, so the rabbit is at her mother’s house)

She updated me on the rabbit’s condition as well; it seems to have spread to his nose, and he’s losing weight too. I’m trying to help her find a vet to call but I’m worried it may be a pointless effort if she isn’t able to persuade her mother to take the rabbit to one.

• sarahthegemini
                    Participant
                    5584 posts Send Private Message

If her mother will not allow the rabbit to be taken to a vet, then she needs to surrender the rabbit to a no kill shelter. There are no excuses for leaving this poor rabbit to suffer.

• plpnt
                      Participant

I’m going to see what response we’ll get from a few vets in the area, but if all of that fails, then she’ll do that. I’ve already found a handful of no-kill shelters that aren’t too far off from her city.

• plpnt
                        Participant

Ahh, she just now updated me about it, and her bun passed away that same night (23rd). She didn’t receive the news until two days later, possibly because her mother didn’t want to let her know at first, but it looks like it was already too late to help.

Thank you all for the suggestions though.

• LittlePuffyTail
                          18092 posts Send Private Message

That is so very sad…..

((((Binky Free))))))

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need bunny help! (Friend’s rabbit)