Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need advice QUICK about Charlie ASAP

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • whispercalm
      Participant
      89 posts Send Private Message

I gave Charlie her first dose of azithromycin 2 hours ago and she is a changed rabbit. She was eating and playing before. Now she is laying around and has no interest in food or treats. Vet is closed. Emergency vet is the same clinic that gave my other Bunny terrible care and he died.

I do have critical care. I also have Sherwood appetite restore which is suppose to restore appetite and energy. It’s to be fed first before the critical care.

i don’t know how long to wait to see if she eats. The appetite restore also has electrolytes and says should restore appetite in 1-3 hours.

Vets phone service will have them call in morning

• NoodletheRabbit
        Participant
        45 posts Send Private Message

Oh I feel so bad for you!!! What I would do is feed her the Sherwood apetite restore now, and that way you can get her back on, track as soon as possible. I really wish all the best.<3

• NoodletheRabbit
          Participant

Also tummy massages, in case she is gassy, and syringe feed water if you think that’s nessasary.

• NoodletheRabbit
            Participant

I hope things are going well.

• whispercalm
              Participant

She is doing better. I was just getting ready to give her the Sherwood appetite stimulate when she took her vitamin treat for my husband. She has nibbled on some pellets and hay and is active. Not drinking as much water but she has taking a few drinks. She usually is a big water drinker. Normally she would have devoured her pellets and ate a bunch of hay. She ate a bit of cilantro and has been playing with toys. I think that medicine did a number on her tummy and gave her a tummy ache. I was concerned about her going into Stasis and was going to giver her critical care before we went to bed if she hadn’t started eating. It was 2 1/2-almost 3 hours before she turned around. She was so depressed and no interest anything..

• NoodletheRabbit
                Participant

Well I’m so glad things have gotten much better!! All the luck to you!!

• whispercalm
                  Participant

She just jumped out of her litter box and has gone potty. Some are much smaller than they should be and some are more normal size. Definitely could have been starting some Stasis if it went on much longer. She’s following my husband around and did a little binky jump. She has 13 more days of this med. she definitely has an infection that needs a stronger antibiotic than what she was on before. I’ll talk with vet tomorrow. Maybe it could be split into twice a day instead of one dose or something. Or maybe giving it to her after she has eaten would help.

• whispercalm
                    Participant

Has anyone else had similar problems with this antibiotic? I’d hate to see her go through several hours of tummy pain or and being so lethargic for the next 13 days.

• LBJ10
                      16908 posts Send Private Message

This doesn’t surprise me. Azithromycin can lead to a reduced appetite. As long as she’s still eating, I wouldn’t worry too much. She will likely gain some of her appetite back in between doses. Just monitor her food intake closely.

Do you know what the dosage was? MediRabbit suggests 30-50mg/kg.

• whispercalm
                        Participant

She gets 1 ml daily for 14 days.  It says Azithromycin 250mg per tablet ( 4 tablet ) compounded into a liquid. She weighed 4  1/4 lb last week at vet.

• LBJ10
                          16908 posts Send Private Message

That doesn’t give the actual concentration. But it does suggest a total of 1000 mg over 14 days. She is just under 2 kg, so that sounds like it would be in the correct range.

Azithromycin is given once per day, so you will likely notice her appetite picking up as she nears the time for the next dose. At least this is what I have experienced when using it in the past. Is she eating better now? Like I said, she may not feel like eating as much. The important thing is that she continues to eat some.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need advice QUICK about Charlie ASAP