Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need advice on traveling with bunnies!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cajunboi
      Participant
      42 posts Send Private Message

We are planning on going visit family in April and I am wondering how my Bunnies would do on the trip… It is an 8 hour trip…

Has anybody ever done this before? What all would it entail?

Thanks!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

I have not done that personally, but I know others have with great success.  We just had a thread that has some great “car trip tips”.  It’s actually “MOVING with bunnies”, but same difference… you’ll just be coming back!

https://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/forumid/2/postid/93685/view/topic/Default.aspx

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

Great link
            I’ve done a few longer trips with rabbits. I’ve done up to twelve hours, and many people have even done longer then that!

As at home, you want to prevent over heating, so if it’s hot out, cover the windows in pillowcases or sheets and don’t leave them-even for ten minutes-in a car that’s not running AC.

One thing I did was fold down my car seats so they had the back seat and the trunk to play around in. I gave them a litter box, water bottle and tones of fresh veggies-didn’t bother with pellets. Just hay and veggies. Every three hours I stopped and syringe fed a small amount of water and baby food to ensure they were getting enough to make the trip.

TIP: If your staying in a hotel room, bring your dustbuster!! I had a heck of a time cleaning up hay with my hands!!

• Cajunboi
            Participant
            42 posts Send Private Message

Thanks everyone! That’s what I needed to know… They need to be neutered before the trip…. Oh so much goes into taking care of these sweet little cuties!

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
              Participant
              319 posts Send Private Message

I travel with my bunnies every month or so. It’s a car ride for about two hours. I keep them in a large carrier which I tightly secure by putting the seat belt through the handle on the carrier. This prevents bunnies flying in the car just in case I have to step on the breaks or make a sharp turn.

I always put down a towel for any pee-pee. Then water and some hay. I like to put ‘special treat hay’ to reward them for traveling. They normally just stay put for the entire trip.

I would suggest taking them for a car ride a few times before the actual trip to get them used to it.

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
                Participant
                104 posts Send Private Message

I went to Arizona for a week with my bunny TigerLily during Christmastime. I had her in her carrier because I was also taking my dogs with me in the car, but she did just fine i put a litterbox in her carrier for her a waterbottle food, plenty of hay and a towel to lay on. She did great! Initially she was a little upset she does not like her carrier as her first experience with it was when she got spayed so she recalls bad times in the carrier. Then when we got to my friends house my friend who owns a new home put me up in a room that none of the animals go into and we built Tigerlily a temp. NIC home smaller but similar to the one she has at home. She did fine and every night I would let her loose in the room or bathroom. Over all no problems came from the trip, however I do want to stress that TigerLily is not a scardy bunny she is not a nervous or worrysome little thing. If your bunny is a nervous type as some bunnies are you might want to get further advice.

Arizona is about 6 hours from our home in California, but the trip def. took about 7 – 8 hours as we made stops to eat (i took bunny inside with me) and the dogs had the windows open it was cold so it was ok.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant

I wanted to take a picture of Baby this morning on our way to the vets-just to show why I don’t do the carrier in the car anymore. I’d first done it on the presumption that my bunny would go crazy and probably end up under foot (the feet that drive the car!!)

But they don’t. Safety wise most carriers aren’t crash rated to hold the pet, withstand a crash etc. So I don’t feel safety plays an issue-basically drive careful no matter what!! But more so when you have a bunny ‘on board’

anyways despite having several rabbit carriers (and they are useful taking bunny to car and out of car) I like to let them sit on the seat beside me. I find they are very frantic being in a carrier where they can’t see what’s going on, I just feel that they feel calmer on the seat.

I wanted to take a picture of Baby because she pretty much epitomized why I do this. I took out to my car in a carrier. She was so frightened she didn’t want to come out. Then five minutes into the ride she’d pooped all over my passenger seat (yeh car wash ) and was sprawled out in flop. I just find that they find it less scary to be loose in the car

BUT that’s my personal opinion and experience-I’m sure their are other very good rabbit savvy owners who wouldn’t dream of it

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant

LOL and to add, xParadise, Nixon was sooo funny in my car, hopping in the backseat and helping me shift-no problems at all once out of the carrier!! heheh

• xParadise
                      Participant
                      182 posts Send Private Message

That’s so cute Lesley haha. I was going to ask if you had done that with Nixon, I was curious about how he would do. He’s really good about riding in the car though. Next time I will definitely let him sit on the seat. I can see how being stuck in a dark box, not being able to see anything would be stressful.

• riibu
                        Participant
                        60 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t been on any road trips (aside from the vet) since I got my bunny, but I’ve been trying to figure out the strategy for how to do so for when the time comes, so I really appreciate everyone posting their stories on the topic.

I’ve especially been wondering about loose vs. carrier.  I’m hoping Owen will be a good car bunny and I can let him sit on the seat next to me. 

• lilmizzsnickerz
                          Participant
                          318 posts Send Private Message

i saw on another site a girl traveled with her bunnys in the boot with a litter tray and lil pop up tent things for them with screens on the windows is this safe enough she had 3 rabbits in the boot … i think it wud be okay if you drive really slow!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Need advice on traveling with bunnies!