Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING need advice on spaying my buns

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • achun
      Participant
      28 posts Send Private Message

i have two buns that were both born in feb this year and think they’re needing to be spayed.  odang has been peeing outside her litter box, and i change the sheets everyday at the bottom of the cage, soak the urine w/ tissue and put it in the litter, put in another litter that she seems to be peeing more around, etc.  I think it just might be hormones.  or is it?  she’s definitely the top bun of the two, since she’s the brave one and can overtake boba any time.  they’re sisters and i adopted them together from an unexpected litter.  boba was the runt who almost died.

now, i hear that when you spay buns, you need to keep them apart for a while for them to heal, which will require re-bonding.  do i really need to keep them apart?  they’re both girls and so it’s not like they’ll make unexpected baby buns or anything.  i just want to spay odang for hormonal reasons and boba too, since it’s healthier.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

You really do not need to keep them apart while they heal unless they start fighting. I got my female pair spayed at the same time and they stayed together with not problem. What will usually happen is right after the surgery at the vet’s they will not keep them together to monitor them but when you get them home you can put them back together.

I think it’s great that you want to get them spayed – those are excellent reasons for spaying them.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

I am also glad to hear that you are getting your buns spayed. I also think it is OK to keep them together, but they will need to be monitored pretty closely to make sure that they both stay calm and aren’t having any problems when they get back from the vet. Also, make sure to check the spay scar each day to make sure it is healing properly and that they are not licking at the area or pulling stitches out, and that it is not getting irritated.

• achun
            Participant

thnks. i’m glad i don’t have to tear them apart. they’re really strongly bonded. anyone know where i can find a reliable rabbit vet near yonkers, new york? i think i read somewhere here that there’s a good vet in stratford, ct, but that’s a bit far. and how much should i be expecting to pay?

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

http://www.rabbitcare.org/vets.htm

Here’s the link to the House Rabbit Society’s recommended vet page for NY Metro area.

Scroll down to find one vet listed in Yonkers:

Anthony Pilny, DVM
                Animal Specialty Center

He’s the only one listed, but you can look through the list for locations you know to have a choice.

• felmotes
                Participant
                60 posts Send Private Message

I payed $175 a piece plus $25 for pain management a piece. The vet gave me a 10% discount for bringing in 2 at once.

The initial visit was $108 ($54 office visit for each).

My bonded pair started fighting when I got them home. I had to separate them

• felmotes
                  Participant
                  60 posts Send Private Message

BTW.. I’m in CT. The vet is Barnum Animal Hospital in Stratford, CT.

• achun
                    Participant

thanks everyone for your input. i’m down to a couple of options in terms of the right vet, but i read that it’s good to wait till they’re 6 months to spay them. is that true? they’re 4 months right now and their territorial marking is driving me crazy. they also go everywhere except in the litter pan inside their home, which makes me have to clean their giant condo every 2 days. i’m thankful they’re doing most of their business inside their condo still, but man… i just wish this problem would stop… and i guess spaying will help solve it…

• Furface
                      Participant
                      618 posts Send Private Message

Bugsy was an only bunny when she got spayed. A year later I adopted her an unneutered male. They were in love almost instantly & were already bonded & living together before his neuter. My vet told me to separate them to prevent her from trying to clean his wound & ripping out stitches. She also said to put a cage right up against their cage so they could still lay together & wash noses. She said if the cages were spaced apart, it would possibly cause her not to recognise his changed smell & possibly reject him when put back together. Bugsy being able to smell him as the hormones were dissappating would better insure no rejection problem. Worked like a charm for me.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING need advice on spaying my buns