Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Naming a New bun (Ideas, and what if they already know their name?)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • The Rabbit
      Participant
      183 posts Send Private Message

Well, I’ve been posting for info about the bun i’m getting tomorrow. I have no clue what she’ll look like yet. How does name changing affect a bun? For instance, one bun is named “Audrey” and they mention she knows her name and comes when called. If my current rabbit chose her i’d definitely want to change her name (I can’t stand that name) How does this affect a bun?

Now for the fun part!  Name Ideas!

My boyfriend is all set on calling her “Numa Numa” (????) But I’d like something a little….Non 2005 viral videoish. .  I’m partial to the name Hannahbun. (Sorry Elrohwen I kin of got the Hannah part from you). I don’t have any other name ideas.

what are some good nice, bunny names (they can be different or “normal” names. My current bun is called Pixel (pixie, Mr. bunny houdini when he pulls his escape act)

I’m so excited! I want to find a name we can both agree on. The bun will live with me, but it is also going to be his bun.

• Minty
        Participant
        338 posts Send Private Message

I find it’s always easier after you meet the bun and see the bun… I had a different name picked out for Frankie when he came home but decided on Frankie instead because it just seemed to fit him. I’m sure you’ll feel the same way once you get to know your bunnies personality and quirks.

• Hedi
          Participant
          969 posts Send Private Message

The bun may be responding to the sound of the name but not the actual name so changing the name wont be an issue. OR, the bun may understand that actual sound or know when they hear the beginning sound of their name they know they are being talked to. If the second part comes into play you may be better off w/ a name that kinda sounds the same or is similar.

When we got Hoopie from the HRS he was named Hooper by the foster family. Personally its a dumb name but he understands and responds very well to that name. So we shortened it to Hoopie and that way it still sounds the same and there isnt any confusion since we have 3 other rabbits. Plus, we already have a Cooper so a Hooper and Cooper would be way too confusing for our home.

Personally I would try several different things you like and see if the bunny even responds. Otherwise you may need to find something close to the current name so the buns understands whats going.

Just my opinion and experience though..congrats on the new fur baby!

• SukiBun
            Participant
            74 posts Send Private Message

I find this list of names is a godsend

http://www.altheim.com/bunny/

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

I love the name Amelia for a bunny. I have suggested it to several members over the course of my time here… and no one has ever taken me up on it. :o(

• jerseygirl
                22345 posts Send Private Message

That’s a great list SukiBun!

The Rabbit, you could test out the name Audrey at home with the new rabbit to see if she really does know her name. I believe it would be more to do with her current carers body language and tone of voice that the rabbit responds to.  Also, if they’ve developed a routine where they call and give food. Rabbits like their routines!   I actually like the name Audrey but it is important you have something you like! I changed my bucks name for that reason. I felt a bit funny at first and would say his old name and new name together, but honestly, I don’t think he could care less. He responds to my tone, vibe, body language or gestures more than the name itself.

You could go for something ending with the “ee” sound if you’re really concerned. i.e. ending in same sound as former name. Good luck!

• SukiBun
                  Participant

Thanks! When I brought Suki home…I was at a loss for a name….and didn’t want a ‘typical’ pet name. This list was amazing, granted it’s huge and took me forever to decide but was a great help!

I honestly think it would be more the tone of voice and the body language that ‘Audrey’ responds to. Do what jerseygirl suggests and test it out, even if she does know her name, I wouldn’t think it to be difficult to get used to a new name… as she will also be getting used to you, her new surroundings, your voice etc etc, and the name will be part of the process.

• The Rabbit
                    Participant
                    183 posts Send Private Message

I’m just about to get my bun in his carrier, thanks guys! That list is *wonderful* I’m going to ask them to add my buns name to it. Wish me luck!

• SukiBun
                      Participant

Good luck!!

• Beka27
                        Participant

How did it go?! Or did you post somewhere else and I didn’t get there yet?

• Elrohwen
                          Participant
                          7318 posts Send Private Message

Feel free to use Hannahbun if you’d like!

In my experience, buns don’t know their names well enough for it to really matter. Hannah was Merlin before we got her, but from what I can tell she never responded to Merlin any better than Hannah. She comes if I tap the floor, but has never come to her name. I think it’s perfectly fine to change names.

• Beka27
                            Participant

And I think it will have to do a lot with your tone and pitch of voice too. The bunny may respond to her name when Mrs. Jones says it… but you may say her same name and she will not respond. I don’t think there is anything wrong with changing a bunny’s name… as long as once you change it, you stick with it.

• Nibbles_NZ
                              Participant
                              751 posts Send Private Message

Bella responds to her name. Baxter just responds to the sound of food or his veggie plate. lol. I am not sure if it is her name or the way I say it. I have called her Bells and Bell Bell too. She responds to all of them I don’t think you will have a problem changing the name. It is probably going to be the way you say it. Even animals like dogs that respond to thier name also respond the same way to the voice used. I had a doberman when I was a growing up. He would get so excited when you said “Wanna go for a walk!” He would perk his ears up and go get his leash. BUT, I used to tease him (yes I know, it wasn’t very nice) I used to say “You wanna eat some poop!” He got just as excited! LOL It was the way I said it. lol

• SukiBun
                                Participant

Oh Nibbles, I know what you mean!! My mum’s (and kind of mine too hehe) dog, Millie (border terrier, such a wonderful dog but don’t worry… I don’t live there and Suki will never meet her thank goodness haha!) is the same…… bless her, I’m not teasing her as such, but I can sit there for ages, and call her all things that rhyme with Millie, in the same pitch/tone and she responds to all of them….it’s rather funny. She gets all excited too lol.

I’m trying to talk to Suki as much as I can so she gets to know me…. I think it’s going to take some time!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Naming a New bun (Ideas, and what if they already know their name?)