Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Nail Clipping

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunMumTiff
      Participant
      241 posts Send Private Message

SO today I attempted to do Dora’s nails ya did not happen she fought it and I am not going to attempt her braking her poor back. I am sad as a vert wants 25 to do her nails. So sad to say I will be off to the pet store to get it done as they do it for 10 bucks.

She is just being bad taking her out of the cage is a chore as she fights and nips and goodness today she peed on ym carpet the first time in 3.5 months very sad about this. I cleaned it up and sprayed the area with a little perfume.

• cookie627
        Participant
        387 posts Send Private Message

oh lord. Just like Cookie!!!!!!!! He will attack the towel! so funny!! But very sad. he gets mad at me. so when i think he had enough i just wait 30 minutes and just sit with him. Good thing is he is a easy forgiver. Doesn’t get mad at me for a long time. only takes a second and he’s is cuddling! then i take him to the pet store.

• wendyzski
          Participant
          1312 posts Send Private Message

Most buns hate having their nails clipped.  I’ve gotten better at it, but unless you’re really uncomfortable with it the best thing is to just suck it up and get it done.  It’s for their own good.  If you’re worried about them getting injured, you can work on the floor and towel-wrap them.  I was totally freaked out by it at first, but now it’s just annoying for both of us.  And as soon as I get done Pepper is racing into the kitchen for the treat she knows will follow.

• skunklionshow
            Participant
            1257 posts Send Private Message

I use a human toe nail clipper for my bunny and the cats.  Its much easier to  handle, which is good when you have a frisky bun!

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

BunMumTiff – have you heard of using a towel to make a bunny "burrito"? It is true that is dangerous when buns fling themselves around that they will break their back, so its good that you are watching out for that. Here on Binky Bunny there is some information on the nail clipping: https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=64 and some information on making a bunny "burrito" with a towel. In my area, rescues do bunny "manicures" for free at their adoption events, so you might want to check that out with your local rescues. I have to admit *sheepish smile* that I cannot do my bunnies nails myself – my boyfriend has to hold the bunny and then I do the clipping – and even then I get very nervous so I can understand!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Clipping nails took me a long time. For the first few times I did have an expert clip them, just so I could watch and observe, and I even had them teach me and help me. I’d say it took about 10 times before I really got comfortable with it. Even now – with Jack, I have to go as quick as possible otherwise demon bunny comes out.

As far as getting her out the cage, offer a treat, let her have one, then the next time have her pop her head out, and give her one, then lead her out.

I also give treats while I am holding them. In the beginning, they were too stressed out to take a treat, but then they learned they’d be okay, and they’d take the treat. I wanted to try and get them to associate something pleasant with the whole stressful thing.

• cookie627
                  Participant
                  387 posts Send Private Message

i learned with Cookie that i can’t clip nails except for mine. he will bite, jump, run, anything to keep him from getting is nails clipped!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Nail Clipping