Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Myxomatosis

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

Hi all

Just got a myxi update, thought I’d share for those interested….

PRESS RELEASE                                   10 January 2008

An unacceptable cruelty – Myxomatosis

During 2007 Myxomatosis  devastated the majority of wild rabbits  throughout the country.  Although many people have heard the term Myxomatosis, few would recognise the symptoms or know what they could do if they suspect infection.  The Myxomatosis Pressure Group,(MPG) has been set up by Chris Dodd after his rabbits died from the disease.  The objective of the group is to educate the public to the symptoms and to increase pressure on the government to help eradicate it.

As Chairman Chris Dodd states, “When our pet rabbit died of the disease I was shocked and sickened at the symptoms these animals have to suffer, especially wild rabbits.  They can’t breathe through their nose because it becomes runny and blocked with mucous. They are forced to breathe through their mouth limiting the food they can eat, and they cannot see due to their eyes shutting because of infection.  And the worst part is that their suffering can go on for 2 weeks before they die a slow and agonising death.  It is a terrible sight to witness, more so when you consider how many wild rabbits endure this terrible symptoms before death.  We want  more to be done to help control the disease amongst wild rabbits.” Said Chris Dodd, Chairman of MPG.

The Myxomatosis Pressure Group has it own website at http://www.myxomatosis.org.uk where people can submit their name in support and also has a petition on the No.10 website where support can also be shown, http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Myxomatosis/. Pet rabbits in the UK can be vaccinated against the disease but vaccination is only effective for 6-12 months. While wild rabbits have no protection against Myxomatosis and have suffered dreadfully this year with a wet Summer giving rise to large numbers of mosquitoes which are one of the transmitters of the virus. Myxomatosis was released in the UK illegally during the 1950’s and continues to kill rabbits each year.

Chris Dodd continues, “We need to make a difference to the welfare of these animals and need as many people as possible to support the organisation so our numbers grow and we can exert the necessary political pressure for a solution to be developed to this terrible disease”.

Ends

For more information and photos contact:

Chris Dodd at postmaster@myxomatosis.org.uk

• Lisa_43
        Participant
        1499 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for sharing that information.

Myxomatosis scares me a lot, I have educated myself on what to look for and know the survival rate is very slim.

I pray that none of our beloved rabbits catch this nasty disease and the stupid governments will allow us to have a vaccine to help prevent it.

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

Is this a common problem in Canada?? I don’t know much about it.

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

Oh that just sounds like a dreadful disease. I wonder if it’s as bad here in the U.S???

• Martie
              Participant
              82 posts Send Private Message

I’d never heard of it either…what a shame it was introduced by HUMANS to control wild rabbit populations, really ticks me off. I hope the h**l it stays out of the US. *shaking head in horror* I do know that deer here is a problem and the poachers destroyed them early 1900’s…they got them going again with a re-introduction program, and now sooooooo much development in North Carolina is running the deer back into everyone’s back yards.
                I could really get on a soap box about humans effin’ with nature…but I will step down now.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

• JK
                Participant

I could get on the soap box too…just angers me soooo much.

• Martie
                  Participant

what angers me also is they didn’t think ahead *what a shock, huh?* and think about what rolls the wild rabbit plays in feeding other animals, ie: the lynx in the wikipedia article above also starved to death, probably birds of prey also starved to death?. Granted we don’t want our pets to be hawk food or fox food, and granted ppl. were not as affluent then as they are now keeping rabbits as pets….needed their crops not eaten for their own survival and granted again, that a rabbit at that time was considered a pest (still is I’m sure many places) it sucks so badly IMO that we as humans play God and introduce a “virus” of all things as the cure all. A virus…that can be transmitted to other countries, maybe other animals.

Unfortunately rabbits like chickens (which I also have, free range here) are sooooooo low on the food chain they get no respect. Yes, I lose a chicken/rooster here and there to a predator, it ticks me off but they live free, happy, taking dust baths in the sun for as long as the Creator gives them to live, and they are happy chickens. They sing all the time, although a chicken singing is not like a bird The Creator didn’t give them as good of a singing voice, lol. They don’t “need” it for mating..anybody who has roosters knows what I mean. Heh.

I just hope and pray that we humans are wiser now. But I fear not… for all of our animal friends.

ARGH!!!
                    I swear I’ll hush for now..
                    for now, lol.

• JK
                    Participant

Ditto on all that. But humans are still so cruel – think about all the puppy mills, farm animals that endure such horrible conditions and testing they do to animals. And even fois gras! That’s truly horrible what they do for that! Don’t get me started!!!

• Martie
                      Participant

I know, I’ve worked at a veterinary hospital for 27 years, and on a good note, I have over the 27 years seen such a big turn around on animal care. (Small animal only) is what I know. So It’s better I think. When I grew up there were 2 vets w/in 20 miles, now they are on every corner. PPL care more now.
                        I do see on Craigslist.org an enormous amount of unwanted pets that’s very disturbing to me also.

I can’t even talk about veal….that’s the cruelest. IMO.

• Martie
                        Participant

PS….fois gras…no way…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

*Shakes head* Its soo upsetting what people do….If anyone is interested in what is keeping me up at night lately you can look up the cruelty case in Camrose Alberta right now…I won’t go into details on here, you can email me if you want to know….

Anyways I don’t think myxi is as much a problem in NA as in Europe/Australia, but it is here…and the vaccine isn’t …It isn’t illegal like in Australia but it isn’t available so far as my research shows…

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Myxomatosis