Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbits poop is smaller in size than usual

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • TravisSaves
      Participant
      27 posts Send Private Message

I have a 6 year old female dwarf. For the past few days, her poop has been smaller in size than usual. Despite this, she is still pooping as much as she always does, still eating all her food and still acting completely normal. Is the smaller sized poop a cause for alarm?

I’ve already decreased her pellet intake significantly and increased her hay intake- which has been working out perfectly. I often see people mentioning baby gas medicine with simethicone. Is this something I should consider as well?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Karla
        Participant
        1624 posts Send Private Message

Mine change their poop sizes now and then…it depends on what I feed them. If they have been fed cabbage, the poops are really big eg. Perhaps it is due to her new diet, so what you see now is what her poop will look like in the future.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think you need the simethicone for this. Simethicone would be if you suspect she may have gas.

The smaller size poop could be a cause for alarm if it continues and she has other symptoms. Sometimes a change in diet will cause the fecals to change color or size.

One thing I would consider doing at her age if you haven’t had an annual well check up is to have one done. At her age it would be smart to do an annual exam every year since she is getting older – she’s not elderly by any means but she is getting older and the older they get the more problems they can have.

And know that I think of it, sometimes smaller poops can indicate dental problems and if she is a dwarf and she is older, this is certainly a possibility and worth checking out. So I would take her in for a full physical and have her teeth checked as well.

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

Are you using a different cut of hay perhaps? One of the softer leaf types?

• TravisSaves
              Participant
              27 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! Her diet has not changed at all- except for the fact that I have been feeding her significantly less pellets and much more hay the past few days. She is still acting 100% normal, eating a ton, and pooping like crazy. I will stick with this increased hay and wet veggie diet for a few days and see if it helps! Thanks to everyone for advice!

PS: She does get annual checkups. I tend to bring her once every 6 months. Last time we were there, about 2 months ago, all bloodwork etc came back perfect!  

• Karla
                Participant
                1624 posts Send Private Message

That is actually a change in diet I wouldn’t worry, but as Sarita says, it is never any harm in having teeth checked now and then.

• Andi
                  Participant
                  1048 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies poops sometimes change in size I have found if i leave for a few days or one is stressed out for another reason, soemtimes it shows in smaller poops. PitStop had small poops when I came back from vacation, couple days later they were back to his regular size.

• allegrabunny
                    Participant
                    116 posts Send Private Message

Is she getting enough water? Dehydration can cause smaller poops too.

• Dee
                      Participant
                      704 posts Send Private Message

I’ve noticed that BunBun’s poops get smaller when he’s shedding a lot- I’ve heard others mention it too. Maybe it has to do with the fact that they are ingesting so much hair. I just change the litterbox very frequently so I can keep track of how much he’s going, and watch for any decrease in appetite or bloating of the belly. Usually they get back to normal in a couple of days- if they don’t, or if the poops become really tiny or the bunny is pooping less and less, I would call the vet. The increase of hay/wet veggies/water and decrease of pellets always seem to help my BunBun. Good luck- I hope you’re seeing full size poops very soon !

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbits poop is smaller in size than usual