Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE My rabbit won’t eat hay

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hopper
      Participant
      158 posts Send Private Message

Hopper won’t eat hay. When I first got him I knew little about rabbits and didn’t give him hay. I finally began to learn things about rabbits a year or two ago and totally changed his living style. He just won’t eat hay. I have tried first cut and second cut. He will only eat hay if it is in a toy and even then it rales him a while. He is healthy, poop is normal sized. He is currently on second cut hay. I also need to begin slowly introducing veggies to him. Otherwise everything is totally fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Vienna Blue in France
        Participant
        5317 posts Send Private Message

Mine don’t eat hay if they have plenty of pellets or other food to eat. Try cutting down on other stuff and keep the hay fresh and im sure youll see it disappear.
          You can always try hay toppings – i make my own by sprinkling pellet powder (the bits left at the bottom of pellet bags) and even crushed bits of malt wheat breakfast cereals. Just a sprinkling on the top makes hay much more interesting

The fibre in hay is very important to keep the digestion moving…. it is therefore very important to have high quality pellets especially if he is not taking in any hay….
          Also keeps the teeth filed down through chewing.
          Do you have access to safe fresh grass (no chemicals)….. that’s just as good for them too.

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

As Vienna Blue said, you may have to cut back on his pellets. How much does he weigh and what quantity of pellets are you currently giving him? Have you only tried timothy hay? Some rabbits can be picky about their hay and they prefer other varieties, such as orchard grass (which is sweeter) or oat hay, or any of the grass hays. Adult rabbits shouldn’t have much alfalfa hay but you can sprinkle a tiny bit on top of his grass hay to hopefully entice him to eat all the hay. Alfalfa is so aromatic and it often has little bits of leaves which filter down into the rest of the hay. Besides different varieties of hay, try different brands. Some are better or more preferred than others. Hay toppers are sold here in the BB store.

• Hopper
            Participant

I believe I am giving him to many pellets, I will cut down on the amount and I will see if that works. Should I give him 1/4 of a cup for every 6 pounds that he is? I am going off of another source that I just read for a second opinion.

• sarahthegemini
              Participant
              5584 posts Send Private Message

What are you feeding him at the moment if he is isn’t eating hay and he’s not having veggies yet?

You could try different types of hay – my bunnies tried various but the one they go absolutely wild for is Friendly Green Oat Readigrass. They eat tons of it.

• Mikey
                Participant
                3186 posts Send Private Message

Yes, 1/4 cup of pellets for every six pounds of rabbit

• Hopper
                  Participant

Okay, thanks everyone! I will reduce the pellet amount and see if that works. If that doesn’t then I will try another type of hay. Then I will introduce veggies when he is comfortable with the hay.

• Bev
                    Participant
                    12 posts Send Private Message

My bun Missy is having the same issue of not eating hay or barely touching it I really cut back the pellets because the vet said she should be getting no more than one quarter cup Adonai but she weighs 14.4 pounds and the doctor said that she should be 11 pounds she is a Flemish Giant. Because of her not really eating hey the vet gave us the critical care stuff didn’t want me to do as much as if it were a sick rabbit but she won’t even touch that I can’t get her to eat that either so the only thing she will eat because she’s used to it if it’s given to his treats and definitely her pellets I don’t know what to do I’ve tried different brands of hay I’ve got it down I have no idea what to do help!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE My rabbit won’t eat hay