Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbit is being lethargic and laying strange, concerned about pneumonia

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lulubug
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

So, my doe is acting a bit off. She’s never been an overly energetic bun, but she’s acting more lethargic than normal. It is the middle of the day, and she usually does relax around now, but the way she’s  laying concerns me, it’s almost like the position they take on when they flop, but she isn’t flopping, she’s just laying down and then rolling on her side. She gets up whenever I gently nudge her, and acts pretty alert, but lays down again when I leave. She also hasn’t eaten all of her food, and she usually doesn’t eat it all very quickly, but she’s barely eaten any of it and I fed her this morning. (She does nibble at her hay  when I do get her up) It is a bit warm today, but it’s been much hotter than this lately and it hasn’t seemed to affect her at all. She’s not sneezing or coughing or having any other  apparent respiratory problems, but I’m concerned about pneumonia. I missed cleaning out her hutch one day because I wasn’t home yesterday, so could the ammonia build up from that be enough to set up pneumonia. (She does have a fan on her hutch to keep the air circulation up and she only uses the bathroom on the top floor, and usually hangs out on the bottom) Maybe I’m overreacting, but I know how lethal pneumonia can be, so should I be concerned?

• Hazel
        Participant
        2587 posts Send Private Message

One day of not cleaning her hutch shouldn’t give her pneumonia. Is her hutch outside?

You could give her some Simethicone in case it’s gas.

• Lulubug
            Participant

Her hutch is in our garage, it’s closed at night and when we’re gone because I worry about predators, and it’s open during the day. (She always has a fan on regardless)

She perked up a lot about 45 minutes after I posted this, and started eating so I think she’s fine. (She had enough energy to demolish an entire chew stick in about 15 minutes flat) I tend to overthink and then start panic over small things and turn them into bigger things.

• Wick & Fable
            5770 posts Send Private Message

What makes you think it is pneumonia?

If she has not eaten in 12 hours, please seek emergency vet care as soon as you can — that is a legitimate emergency.

If she has not eaten in several hours, you may need to force feed her so her GI system does not slow down.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Lulubug
                Participant

Well, I was only worried about pneumonia because of the potential ammonia build up, and I’ve heard that can easily cause pneumonia, and then I knew loss of appetite and lethargy were some of the symptoms. (I guess actual respiratory problems would be the main symptoms tho)

She perked up a lot about 45 minutes after I posted this, and started eating so I think she’s fine. I kept a close eye on her all afternoon and she was acting perfectly normal again. (She had enough energy to demolish an entire chew stick in about 15 minutes flat) I think she might’ve just been a bit warm, or maybe the bad weather was throwing her off. (I know sometimes the pressure changes in bad weather affects animals) I tend to overthink and then start panic over small things and turn them into bigger things.

• LBJ10
                16869 posts Send Private Message

Nothing you are describing would suggest pneumonia. But I agree, less interest in food and laying around more than normal is concerning. Does she seem  uncomfortable? Does she shift positions a lot? Pressing her belly to the floor (like she’s doing a pushup)?

• Lulubug
                    Participant

Ok. She seemed to have more energy and she started eating later on in the day. I think she might’ve been a bit warm, or the bad weather we’ve been having was throwing her off (I know pressure changes can affect animals sometimes) Or maybe I was just looking into how she was laying a bit awkward way to much, I kind of overthink and then freak out over her sometimes. I’ll still keep a close eye on her over the next little while just in case she starts acting off again.

• DanaNM
                    8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad she seems to be feeling better!

My guess would be that it could be more related to heat stress than ammonia build up. I think sometimes having multiple warm days in a row can really take its toll on a rabbit, so you might not see the effects until later. Usually when temps get above 80 F it can be stressful on the bun, so even if she has a fan if it’s warmer than that you could give her a frozen water bottle to lay next to. Heat also seems like it can cause some GI slow down, so you could have been seeing signs of gas or other tummy discomfort, as others suggested!

Does she have bedding in her litter box? Pine pellet litter is really good at neutralizing odors, if that’s something you are worried about.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbit is being lethargic and laying strange, concerned about pneumonia