Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR My rabbit hides.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • soap
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

So I got a rabbit from a friend who is moving and she hatted me up on rabbit care.

The rabbit is really cute and pretty looking and seems to have a good personality…. when I’m sitting still.

He spends the time that I am in the room with him under the bed. (He lives in my bedroom)

Soon as I move he becomes wary. If I approach him really slowly he sprints off to his little under the bed spot and stays under until he decides to venture out again.

I have only had this rabbit for one week.

I realize that the rabbit is probably not used to me but I get annoyed with him since he spends his time under the bed and I can’t give him attention.

How long will he think of me as a predator and what can I do to make him comfortable around me?

Thanks

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Well he is just not feeling secure in his new surroundings yet. I would sit on the floor and maybe offer him a healthy treat and see if he will respond. Maybe he needs a smaller space until he feels more comfortable like an xpen with a box with cut out doors for him to escape to. You need to be really patient as this is all really new to him. My rabbit took a long time to come out of his xpen area. Please don’t get annoyed or discouraged as it might take him awhile. You just can’t rush these things! Please also read some of the links above under Bunny Info for some great information. Do you have any pictures of him and the set up in your room? Welcome here too.

• Sage Cat
          Participant
          1883 posts Send Private Message

Hi Soap,
            I think I would be kind of upset if my human just gave me away and I was suddenly in a strange place.

Laying on the floor and reading has done wonders for my little buns getting comfortable with me – that literally puts you on their level. It took a month for my buns to really start checking me out & begin to trust me.
            They really need a place like a box or pen – their room – for them to be secure. That is why he is under the bed.

As Knowlton said there is tons of great info here under “Bunny Info” that will help you out! Also, try to think “If I was Prey, like a bunny, what would I do?”

Hope this helps.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here. i will echo the other two and say it is going to take some time for him to get used to you. some rabbits are skittish for a eyar, some never really get used to a lot of human attention. like Sage said, the best thing is to do a quiet activity and ignore him. when he comes to investigate you, continue to ignore him. DO NOT TRY AND PET HIM! do this for a week or two everyday with noaction from you and then you can see if he will let you pet. one false move will require you to start from scracth. patience is really the most important thing. to him, you are a predator. maybe try blocking off access to your bed so he is out in the open but give him a cardboard box he can use for “protection”.

• kralspace
              Participant
              2663 posts Send Private Message

Welcome soap!

I have a very, very, VERY shy bunny, also. He was a left over Easter Bunny at the petstore, spent most of his life in that little glass case, it took weeks before he would venture outside of a 2’x2′ area at home (he had the entire room to roam). His partner is very adventurous and can’t wait to get out of the condo and follow me around, but Daisy still hides out.

In the year I’ve had him, he went from what your bunny does, to peeking out when I come in the room, then when caught out in the open would freeze hoping I didn’t see him. (I ignored him so he thought he was invisible I guess)

Then one day he came to the front of the condo when I came in the room! He will come out of the condo and roam a bit now. If I lay on the floor to watch TV he’ll come sniffing and even climb on me, but still runs if I try to pet him.

He’ll gingerly come and take a treat from my fingers now and when I put the feed and hay in I take my time and he’ll come and nuzzle my hand and fingers, but still no petting. But he’s happy and binkies and his partner is very outgoing and affectionate.

I had 2 others that started out the same way, but after a couple of weeks they came completely out of their shell and love petting and I hope yours will do the same!

Here’s a great site to help you learn bunny language

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk.html

Kathy

• soap
                Participant
                2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks! You guys are awesome! I’ve set his carrier up as a little hiding space. I’ll take some pictures of him soon. He was named Ninja when I got him and I decided not to change his name.

Tim

• Liza
                  Participant
                  155 posts Send Private Message

Oooh, this sounds all too familiar!!!

Don’t worry, he and you will be ok, unless you keep thinking negative thoughts and get annoyed with him. They pick up on our feelings and won’t go anywhere close to us. It’s kind of like when a horse throws you off his back because he can feel we are scared of being up there.

We have two rescued bunnies here, both came from a shelter environment. Velvet was on deathrow because she was so aggressive. When we decided to foster her, I thought, ok, a shy bunny, I will just leave her alone so she can chill over here. Wrong. She was so scared that she was going mental. She would attack everybody and everything – except for my husband! I knew she did not like me in the least bit, I knew she must have been traumatized by women somehow. So I stepped back and let him be the one petting her and loving her while I would just sit in front of her x pen, talking to her and telling her I understood her pain and still loved her. I would tell her over and over again how pretty she was and that she was ok here. When the rescue lady met her again after a few weeks, she could not believe this was the same rabbit. Velvet now is a complete butterball! She looooooves people, she loooooves bunnies, she looooves life – she loves everything and everyone. There is not a mean bone in her body. She will flop over to the side for me to pet her. She is so very loving towards everyone, it is very heartwarming to see! Of course, I know daddy is still number one in her life, but that’s ok with me.

Dancer is extremely shy. When he was taken out from the shelter, he would do nothing else but hide underneath a box in his x pen. The slightest noise or movement and you wouldn’t see him anymore for hours. Only last week have I seen him relax and stretch out in the middle of the x pen, his legs to the side, his big bottom in the air, absolutely relaxed! I won his love over with healthy treats. He knows when he comes up to me, no matter whether I am standing or sitting or laying on the floor with them, I won’t pick him up (he greatly dislikes being picked up), I won’t tease him, but I will give him scritches and a treat. He even comes up to me just to get a facial massage now. It did take him a good two months though to get to this point.

As everyone else said, patience and understanding will help ‘Ninja’ to get over his fear and trust issues. It may take weeks, it may take months. As long as you accept him for who he is, he will come around and accept you in his life, too.

• MarkBun
                    Participant
                    2842 posts Send Private Message

Lie on the ground and read a book, making sure that Ninja can see the book as you’re reading. He’ll hop over within 5 minutes to see what you’re doing. The important part is to NOT react to him. Just let him investigate the book (make sure it’s one that if he nibbles suddenly it won’t be an issue – and you can say “NO” in a stern tone and he will stop – he might run away but it’s important they learn the word). He’ll get bored with the book, or begin playing ‘flip the page back’ when you try to turn it. Either way, the bun usually then begins to investigate what is attached to the book (you) and again, just let him do so. If you get a nudge or a nip, respond by trying to scratch/pet his nose between and just below his eyes.

I’ve had a bun for 7 months now who still runs and hides when I open up the cage and whenever I move. Not sure if he’ll come around but it’s his life.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Soap!! How’s it coming along? I find the best way with my timid boy is to lay on the floor with a noisy treat bag (raisins ) and he’ll come over to see why his crazy human slave is on the floor and soon we’re cuddling Can’t wait for pictures!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR My rabbit hides.