Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My rabbit died from getting neutered

• This topic has 8sd replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kiki.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • JK
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

So today I had a very hard loss. My sweet Shiloh boy died. I thought this place would help me get some things off my chest, so here goes. So I have had my rabbit Shiloh for 2 years. I was wanting to get him neutered at younger age, but at the time, I had no reason to until I got another rabbit. So I have had this rabbit savvy vet now for a year and she was the only one in a 45 minute radius from me. I loved her, she was knowledgeable, and very kind. I got my Holland lop, Pumpkin neutered with her and everything went through with flying colors. So after 2 months of getting him neutered I decided to get my other rabbit neutered so I could bond them. Well the appointment was today, I brought him in and they said he was extremely healthy, his heart sounded good and everything was good to go. they said they would call between 12 and 2 pm for me to pick him up.

Well at 12 something, I got a devastating call saying he went through the surgery and everything was fine and then his heart beat dropped and they did CPR, but they couldn’t get him back. I could not stop crying. I felt like it was my fault for getting him neutered even though I thought it would be great for him in the long run. When I went to pick up my lifeless bunny from the vet, my vet said she does at least 4 rabbit surgeries a week and in the 25 years of doing this, my rabbit was the second to die. She said he probably had a heart defect that he was born with and the anesthesia was too much for him. She asked me if I wanted to do autopsy, but I didn’t want to do that.

Literally right when I dropped him off, I went to the store that was across the street and bought some fresh papaya for him, thinking it would help him recover a bit faster. When I brought my dear bun home from the vet, my dog was absolutely confused and devastated on why he wasn’t moving. I had a bunch of daffodils growing in my garden so I cut some and buried them with him along with a daffodil floral crown I had made for him a year ago. I think I am still in shock because I don’t think he is dead. I know that sounds weird, but I feel his presence in like another form or something. Although Pumpkin wasn’t bonded to Shiloh and lived in separate spaces, I think he knows he is gone because they still saw each other everyday and now pumpkin just stares at his pen. I just hope where ever my sweet boy is, heaven or not, he his having a great time.

Thanks for reading my long thing, but I just needed to get a few thing out. 

• Bam
        16871 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you lost Shiloh. It’s incredibly sad and unfair. It seems likely he could have had a congenital heart issue.

You wanted the best possible life for him with a bunny friend and you gave him a great life for two years. You seem like a wonderful rabbit parent.

It’s very hard to lose a rabbit. I hope you and Pumpkin and your dog will be able to comfort each other. Pumpkin will need you extra now, of course. Even if Shiloh and Pumpkin weren’t bonded, they were co-bunnies.

Binky free, sweet ****Shiloh****

• Phil
          Participant
          239 posts Send Private Message

This is awful my bunny Jasper died same way, its the anasetic, Jasper was allergic to it, sounds this why Shiloh died if vet said his heart was strong they said same about Jasper. Its awful so very sad for you. X

• JK
            Participant

Thank you so much for your support. I am doing better this morning, but it will be weird not having him run around my house like he does every morning.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry. I know what you are going through. I had a much loved bunny pass at the vet right after a routine dental trim.

• Three Little Bunnies
                Participant
                63 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for your loss.

• JK
                  Participant

I am coping, but it has been extremely tough. It is really weird now because I am only taking care of one bunny and I am so used to him to jumping on my legs, hoping on the couch to snuggle, and laying on my feet while I sat at the table painting my nails. He was my everything, my once in a lifetime bun. When I got him, he was skittish and would hide from everything, but with months of patience and love, he came out of his shell to love and learn to trust.

• Flakie
                    Participant
                    148 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear about Shiloh. It’s heartbreaking to lose a bunny especially if they have not been ill. Although bunny anaesthetics are pretty safe unfortunately as with all operations there is a risk same as us humans. I lost my boy bunny Flakie last year to stasis and had no other bun to care for. He was well loved by you, and lovely that he came out of his shell with your dedication and patience.

Pumpkin will help you through this difficult time. I found Flakie helped me when my Poppy died. They are our world and we miss them loads.

My new bunny just had an operation and I was worried sick the whole time he was at the vets.

Binky free lovely Shiloh x

• Kiki
                      Participant
                      205 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry. I recently lost my cat after 17.5 years. It’s literally the worst thing, and nothing makes it easier. ((Hugs))

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My rabbit died from getting neutered