Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My rabbit died because of me

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ioizie
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I killed my rabbit because of my mistakes, I knew that rabbits were very easily stressed and could die from stress and yet I kept carrying her etc. one day she peed on my bed and I carried her and put her in her cage quite briskly I think she was scared yesterday I got up and she had a heart attack during the night, I think I’m a monster I had her for 2 weeks and she was only 3 months

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry for your loss 🙁

I think it’s very normal to feel guilt when we loose a beloved pet, and important to learn from our mistakes, but I don’t think you carrying her was for sure what caused her death. Fear can cause heart attacks, but usually only with prolonged fear (such as a dog barking at growling at a bunny right outside the cage). And I imagine if it was from you handling her you would have seen it happen right away, not overnight. Young bunnies can have heart defects that don’t show up right away, so it’s very possible and probably more likely that she had a congenital issue.

Of course it’s important to handle rabbits safely and gently, but please don’t beat yourself up over this.

(((Binky free little bun)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
          16872 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry your bun passed away.

I agree with Dana, rabbits are frail in many respects, but they dont normally die from being carried and put back in their cage. I too think something else was wrong with her.

It’s still so very sad though 💔

• Bonny Girl
            Participant
            26 posts Send Private Message

Oh, sweetie, you are much too hard on yourself — as all of us pet lovers who have lost them are.  These little ones, especially when so young, are sooo fragile and they hide their issues.  Out of all pets to own, bunnies require the most care because they “are” so very fragile.  May God heal your heart.  Your post here shows your human remorsefulness.  Bless you.

• Jadeo09
              Participant
              83 posts Send Private Message

You sound like a caring person with a good conscience. I’m sure we have all made mistakes but i agree with the others it’s very likely that you didnt cause a heart attack. I remember litter training my rabbit and it can be very stressful. I hope you can find it in your heart to be forgiving to yourself and as compassionate to yourself as you would be to a friend if they had been in your situation. Guilt is a stage of grief and it’s normal for us all to wonder of we could have done things differently. Its totally natural and doesnt mean you caused it.  Allow yourself to experience the whole range of emotions that wash over you in the coming weeks. They will pass. I’m ever so sorry for your loss

Jade

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                Blocked
                103 posts Send Private Message

The bunny would have most definitely had underlying health issues. Bunnies don’t get heart attacks easily. Healthy bunnies are quite resilient. They can get scared easily but it wouldn’t bring on a heart attack. The fact your bunny had a heart attack during the night suggests she was already ill. It wasn’t you that caused her heart attack its was just one of those things that would have happened regardless. It sounds like you took good care of your bunny.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My rabbit died because of me