Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE my poor baby bun!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

baby bun has had runny eyes for a while (as explained in my ‘runny eyes’ post) and last week her right eye had gotten quite a bit worse.  it was like a bad pink eye with lots of white goo and i was washing her wee face every couple of hours.  i had some leftover eye drops which i also gave since when we started the prescription it did improve her eyes – just didn’t eliminate the problem completely.

anyways… her right eye is back to being normal runny now with no white goo or sensitivity between her eye & ear on that side anymore.  today i had her on the counter for face wash and monthly maintenance and noticed a big scab in her ear! 

it must have been from the last bonding session with pinky, tho how i missed finding such a huge wound i do not know.  i feel terrible.  my poor baby bun!  i put some polysporin on it and will call the vet on monday to tell them about this.  the area around the sore is more pink than in the rest of her ear & so i want some assurance that it’s healing properly.  if it was brighter pink or red i’d be finding an emerg vet before monday but i think it’ll hold for a day & a half.

i’m wondering if this could have caused the recent excessive goo problem with her eye? 

1534312271.jpg
        1534318554.jpg

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Mmmmm. I assume you cleaned it really well before putting the polysporin on it. I’m certainly not a vet but I think you can wait until Monday – just keep a close eye on it. Hey at least you found it now! Another good reason for checking these little guys frequently!

• babybunsmum
          Participant

yes… checking them frequently is so important!  i gave each bun a once-over after each bonding session & haven’t a clue how i missed this.  i will certainly be careful to inspect ears more throroughly in the future.  i haven’t had a bonding session since baby’s serious eye goo started for fear it would pass onto pinky and because baby was obviously not in top shape.  thank goodness i did this.  i’d hate to have had it worsen.

as for cleaning it… all i did was swab the sore gently with a damp q-tip and then with polysporin.  should i clean it with something else do you think?   i’m going to browse some bunny first aid articles right now & see what i find.

ok i found this info in this article…  http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/firstaid.html from the binky bunny links page and i think i’m ok.  since it’s in her ear i can’t rinse the wound, plus it had already started to heal.   the good thing is that it wasn’t in a hairy area and it looked pretty clean when i found it.

Cuts, bites, and lacerations

• Wash your hands with antiseptic soap before attending to your bun.
            • If there is hair stuck to or in the wound, carefully clip the fur with clean scissors. To avoid getting the clipped fur in a deep wound, you can squirt some KY or other water-soluble jelly into the wound before you clip; the fur will wipe out easily afterward.
            • Clean the wound – you can use water or hydrogen peroxide to clean around the wound (peroxide cuts through blood really well) but try to avoid getting peroxide in the wound, especially if it is deep. For in-the-wound cleaning, rinse with plain saline solution. Rinse until you are fairly sure you have removed all hair, dirt, hay etc. from inside the wound. You may even need to sterilize your tweezers and pick some debris out.
            • If the wound is shallow, apply a THIN COAT of triple antibiotic or silver sulfadiazene cream.
            • If the wound is deep, apply a thin coating of silver sulfadiazene cream or KY jelly. Cover the wound if it is large – use a telfa pad 1st, then roll gauze, then a self-adhesive wrap as the outer layer.

• babybunsmum
            Participant

well baby officially hates me this afternoon.  we just got back from the vet’s where she had to have the scab peeled & then sliced off so the wound could be cleaned out.  dr buhrows confirmed that it is def a bite mark and figures it got infected & drained which is why it’s indented.  also, baby has a scuff on her right eye ball… the same eye that had all the goo.  she stained it and the scuff is not a serious one and i can use the same ciloxan ointment on both her ear & eye.

i feel like such a bad bunny mom!  should i stop trying to bond the 2 buns?  or should i persist now that i now what i’m up against and who the agressor is?  i feel really guilty that baby got injured.  it’s totally my fault for not intervening quickly enough to prevent such a bad bite.  bah! 

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh goodness no!! YOU are DEFINITELY NOT a bad bunny mommy!!!! It’s soooo difficult to inspect them, they are little poof balls!! I only found a little bite on Rupert days after they scuffled. AND you took her to the vets which is so important *HUGS* They can’t understand what we do is for their own good, but she’ll soon forget the vet trip and forgive you I”m sure of it. BIG HUG You’re for sure for sure a GREAT bunny mom

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE my poor baby bun!