Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE My Eliot fell down the stairway!!!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
    • the 57 bears
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

I have just joined and I’m looking for advice as I am having kind of an emergency…

My bunny Eliot had a bad accident yesterday: I was holding him in my arms and he was being a bit rebellious, at some point he squished away and jumped off FALLING DOWN THE STAIRWAY!!!  He fell from an height of at least 3 meters.

I was terrified, but he did seem to be ok when I ran to see if he was hurt. All that seemed hurt was his “thumb” claws, which had broken and were bleeding a bit at the base, but soon stopped. He would run and move normally and didn’t seem to be in pain at all. So I started touching all parts of his body to see if any was hurt, and when I touched an area around his hip or back (I can’t quite tell) he whines a bit and wet shimself. Same when I try to pick him up, possibly because I press that area in the process.

Later on I tried again and he did not wet himself, but he is leaving small amounts of pee supposedly when he’s under effort.

He does move normally, but not quite as much or as fast as he used to, so he might be hurt but not have any broken bone (otherwise I think he wouldn’t move his hind legs at all). I called the vet and he said to keep monitoring him, but because ity is not an emergency situation I will have to wait until Tuesday to get him visited (it’s Bank Holiday this Monday over here in the UK).

Could you confirm that the peeing is due to the fact that I press a localized painful area, like a bruise or contusion or maybe even fracture? And is there anything I can do in the meantime? I am very worried about this situation, as I am afraid that his wetting himself is due to the fact that he’s in pain, even though he doesn’t clearly show that…

Any comment will be appreciated… Thanks a lot!

Valentina

• Lion_Lop_Lover
        Participant
        971 posts Send Private Message

I would say this is an emergency situation and to get him to the vet asap. Bunnies try to mask their injuries and it can be a lot worse than it looks. I would take him to the emergency vet immediately!

• Nicci607
          Participant
          320 posts Send Private Message

yes, I agree with you, lion lop!!
            For that Vet to say, this is not an emergency, is a bit weird!! There is definitely something wrong
            Is there any other vet with bunny experience where you could get seen soon, 57 bears?

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Take him to the vet A.S.A.P. it sounds like he may have spinal cord damage, rabbit spines are very delicate. So sorry to hear about all this, make sure the vet does a full exam and x-rays!

Where are you located and can we help you find a rabbit-savvy vet?

• Bunstheboss
              Participant
              161 posts Send Private Message

I’ll have to second what everybody else has said. It sounds like an emergency to me. Good luck!

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

oh noo poor things both of you   buns are good at masking pain it is a survival mechanism when it becomes obvious it is usually too late. so as b4 mentioned already vet ASAP hope all is well

• the 57 bears
                  Participant

silly me, I have been waiting for too long and now it’s 11.30pm!!! I live in London and tomorrow is Bank Holiday, so I will have to find some emergency clinic where there will be no guarantee of rabbit experience…

I am now feeling so guilty…

• Nicci607
                    Participant

Scarlet Rose:

I just read 57 bears’ comment on the bottom!! She lives in London, and tomorrow is Bank Holiday! ouch!!

This is such a tricky situation!! It’s 11:30 p.m. over there, and the emergency clinic has probably no Rabbit savvy vet!!

Can you give any advise? Can you help find a rabbit savvy vet over there?

• Nicci607
                      Participant

Hello Valentina!!

This is a very tricky situation!! I would do my best to take Eliot to a rabbit savvy vet, who knows how to handle him etc.

Are there any Rabbit Rescues in your area? They could probably give you some more advise on what to do now, and help you get Eliot to a rabbit savvy vet!!

A “regular” vet might do more damage than good!!

I keep my paws crossed for you, and Eliot!!!

• the 57 bears
                        Participant

I have just adopted a bunny at a local rescue (Greenwich Rabbit Rescue), I will get in touch with them ASAP for advice and tomorrow morning I’ll take him for a visit… I hope they can suggest a rabbit savvy vet that works tomorrow… Stupid Bank Holiday!!!

Thanks for your help!

Scarlet Rose: I have been advised to get in touch with you… Maybe you can help me?

I am so scared that he will get paralyzed that I can’t even think about it. It’s all my fault for not holding him tight enough…

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant

Oh dear,  O.K. since you are in the U.K. we do have a few members that hopefully can help out some too.  In the mean time check here;

You can try calling one of the rabbit rescues and see if they have a recommended vet for you;

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

I really and truly hope there is no permanent damage. I do wonder at the vets recommendation though, I mean I agree that since he can still move his limbs he should be O.K. BUT it is always good to make sure there are no fractures. Can you at least get some pain meds from a vet?

We know accidents happens and you are doing your best to keep your rabbit healthy and happy.  Is he hopping around at all still?  Is he still eating and pooping?

Here is a good article read up on:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

And another place to read up, just to help you as well:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Rabbit-dragging-legs-1.htm

• the 57 bears
                            Participant

Thank you so much…

He is eating, drinking, pooping regularly, and he does hop around, even though not as much as usual. I even caught him on my bed, which means that he managed to jump 2.1 feet high… He really shouldn’t have though, and now I hope he’ll rest in his cage and avoid any strain…

Also, he grinds his teeth and purrs when I pet him and seems to enjoy it quite a lot, which I consider a good sign… I doubt he’d be grinding his teeth in joy if he had a serious spinal injury, I would expect more of a slow grinding in pain…

What’s worse is that I was bonding him with his new girlfriend and this whole accident is going to make it all more complicated and maybe even difficult… I hope he won’t associate the fall with her…

Thanks again. Tomorrow morning I’ll get up early and fix this. Hopefully…

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

oh no. please keep us posted. feel better Eliot!

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message

Chiming in late here. You’ve gotten some good advice and I sure hope the rabbit rescue can help you out with finding someone to check him out. It’s good that he is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Keep him confined to an area where he can’t jump and strain things. It sounds like limbs are okay, but I have no idea about any internal buo boos. However, if he was in major pain, he would most likely not be eating normally, but one thing about bunnies is never to take anything for granted – they are great maskers of pain and illness, that’s just part of their prey nature.

Keep us updated!

• babybunsmum
                                  Participant
                                  3896 posts Send Private Message

(((((((((eliot)))))))))  hope you can find a vet soon… why do these things always happen right before holidays?  grr.   i’m sending lots of get well vibes to him!

• Nicci607
                                    Participant

I found a link to rabbit savvy vets from the Greenwich Rabbit Rescue site:

http://www.greenwichrabbitrescue.com/rabbitsavvyvets.htm

Hope this helps!!

*Hugs*

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Update? Have you been able to see a vet yet?? How terrible!! I’m sorry this happened -must be very scary!! **VIBES**

• the 57 bears
                                        Participant

I eventually took Eliot to a surgery literally on the other side of London, because it was the easiest to reach with public transport among the ones that were open today…

I was lucky enough to find a vet there that is actually rabbit savvy (definitely more than my regular vet!), who told me that he’s fine and only has a contusion near the spine that is obviously still sore after the fall, and that it’s probably just this pain that triggers his bladder. He gave me some Metacam (anti-inflammatory) and reassured me, saying that he’s probably going to get better within five days or so… YAY!

I swear I will never ever pick him up again when I’m near the edge of the stairway… I was so worried that I couldn’t sleep last night…

Thank you all for all your support!

Val & Eliot

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                          Participant

Oh wonderful news!! I’m so happy you were able to get him in and he’s not to terribly hurt!! *HUGS* Great news!!

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

please don’t feel too bad. accidents happen. you’re fortunate that it’s not more serious. will you be switching to this new vet in the future? sometimes it’s worth it to travel a bit further if it means you will get a more knowledgable person. plus, it’s nice to know that this vet is open on some of the minor holidays.

• the 57 bears
                                              Participant

Well, he works in a different surgery on weekdays, which is actually closer to my place, so I probably will…

Thanks, I do tend to be a little too hard on myself, but I really love my Eliot to death and I don’t want anything like this to happen again!!!

• babybunsmum
                                                Participant
                                                3896 posts Send Private Message

oh thank goodness he’s okay!  now you can feel better too knowing that he’s not more seriously injured.  and you found a more rabbit savvy vet too!

• Nicci607
                                                  Participant

YEEES!! This is just GREAT news!! Yaay!! It might sound crazy, but I was really worried about Eliot myself. Couldn’t really sleep last night !! I’m so glad to hear, Eliot is not hurt too bad. Is he taking his medicine well?

Just give him plenty of rest now. He shouldn’t be jumping around. He’ll probably need a few days to recover!!

Good to hear, you found a better vet also!!

Eliot is such a cutie!! Give him lots of Bunny Kisses from me  !!!

• the 57 bears
                                                    Participant

Thanks 🙂

It’s not crazy at all… Sometimes I spend hours reading sad stories of sick buns and feeling symapthitic with their moms…

Eliot took his Metacam but is still whining a bit when he bends to eat his cecum and sometimes when he hops… How long does Metacam take for its anaelgesic properties to kick in?

Poor Eliot licks me like crazy when I pet him, I think he feels my love for him… !

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                      Participant

Yay Eliot is O.K.!!! I am so happy you were able to find a place and a really rabbit savvy vet at that! I am very glad that you took him in to be looked at and some meds as well, the little stinker. I know you love the little fluffball and I don’t doubt you are a good bunny parent.

• Gravehearted
                                                        Participant
                                                        2428 posts Send Private Message

wow, sounds very scary! i am very glad you took Eliot in and he’s ok. Hopefully the metacam will have him feeling much better in no time.

• Nicci607
                                                          Participant

Eliot is soooo sweet   !!!

GET WELL  soon, Eliot!!!

For the Metacam, that’s a good question! I would call the vet, and ask him about that! Is Metacam safe for Rabbits? Cuz that’s the brandname for Meloxicam, which actually I take myself, for my Arthritis in the Back!!

I would keep Eliot really kind of quiet, and not let him jump. He needs some rest to recover from this.

I hope, he gets better soon!!

*Hugs*

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                            Participant

Metacam is definitely a bunny medicine, no worries…I’d think it should kick in within a few hours of taking it…If it’s not, you might want to ask about a larger dose?

Anyways glad to hear he’s alright and doing better!

• the 57 bears
                                                              Participant

Thanks again everyone!

Metacam worked quite well, he is doing great today and doesn’t really seem to be in pain at all… But I am not going to test that as I am keeping him in the cage to let him rest. I feel so relieved now! Hopefully he will heal completely, cause he’s still so young and I don’t want him to lose any of his amazing energy… I want to see him binky again as soon as possible!!! He’s my little champ…

• Nicci607
                                                                Participant

Glad to hear, Eliot is getting better!!!  !!!

I have no experience with Metacam. But I did have some really bad experiences giving certain Antibiotics to my bunnies!!

Do you have to go back to that vet, for a check up? Did he take any x-rays at all?

I’m sure that was quite a scare, for you, and for Eliot!! I send him some carrots over, and lots of Get Well Wishes!!!

Take it easy, Eliot!!! 

^_^

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                  Participant

Aww great to hear!! HUGS!

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE My Eliot fell down the stairway!!!