Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE my bunny wont eat

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
    • LillyBear
      Participant
      223 posts Send Private Message

She is sitting in a corner.. and wont take any food.. not her papaya, yogurt treats, hay, lettuce… even chocolate.. and she can not resist chocolate.. (yes, i know she shouldnt have it.. but i want to make her eat!)..

I just discovered this about 1hr. ago.. how long should i wait and see before taking her to the vet.?

this happened before and it cleared up within a few hours..

i am trying to rub her tummy… : (

she was eating fine last night, i don’t know what happened!

• LillyBear
        Participant

I just wanted to add. that i CAN hear tummy noises.. I think her tummy is hurting her maybe.. because when i hold her and rub her tummy she sits very calm (that is NOT a lilly thing!!).. and then i held her tummy up to my ear and I can hear some gurgles (and heartbeat of course).. does she maybe have gas?? or does this happen in gi stasis also??

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

A rule of thumb that I have seen is 12 hours without eating or pooping means going to the vet.  Is she grinding her teeth?  This indicates pain, which is also an indicator of tummy trouble.  Is she pooping?

Here is a great article on what to look for in situations where a bunny might be going into stasis:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

We all hate trips to the vets, particularly if there is a chance nothing is wrong, but please take this seriously.  A rabbit that has not eaten can die in as little as a day without treatment.  Please have her looked at if she does not improve soon.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Rabbit tummy’s are usually always gurgling,(they should be) but if it’s very loud, then it can mean gas or another digestive problem that could lead to stasis. But what concerns me is she’s not eating and she seems to be in pain. That’s serious and can lead to a serious state of stasis. .

I’m with Osprey and since we don’t know for sure if it is gas (I give simethicone in that case – human infant formula for gas) then seeing a vet if this does not improve very soon (within a couple of hours) then call your vet. If you have a regular vet that will be closed soon, then it would be better just to get her in before that.  (plus, if gas doesn’t go away quickly it can also cause such pain and discomfort it can shut their digestive system down, and of course if the digestive system shuts down (gi stasis), that’s when the rest of the body can shut down – which why gi stasis is so serious.

So it’s really better to play it safe!  Keep us updated!

FYI: Of course you know chocolate’s no good, but I wasnt’ sure if you knew that Yogurt Drops can also lead to digestive problems. And even if you don’t see a problem right after you’ve given her these kinds of treats, it can cause ongoing long term problems as it can upset the bacteria in her digestive system.

• LillyBear
              Participant

Thank you guys.. I do think she has gas.. her stomach is loud and grumbly.. I think I will go get the simethicone.. I just cleaned her litter box to see if she is pooping.. she keeps running for her litter box every few minutes.. but i think she is constipated? She is lifting her tail.. but nothing is coming out.. and she has peed 4 times out of her litterbox now today.. she hasn’t peed out of her litter box for 5 months until today.. she isn’t grinding her teeth.. but she is sitting very quiet and her eyes aren’t open all the way.. so i do think she is in pain.. i will give it 2 more hours.. and if it isn’t better.. i am heading to the vet.

binky.. i just learned today when reading that GI stasis thing that yogurt drops are bad.. I didn’t know.. im such a bad mom!! I hope that the yogurt hasn’t caused her stomach upset..

• BinkyBunny

You are not a bad bunny mommy. I gave yogurt drops to my first bunny. I loved giving them because he just went bonkers for them. I didn’t know they could be bad either! It’s not like there’s warning on the drops and people sell them for bunnies, and unless you research every treat you’re about to give your bunny, then how is the public supposed to know. I just found out when I was attending a health and behavior class on bunnies at the House Rabbit Society, and then I did a net search "yogurt drops and rabbit digestive problems"  to find even more info.

Sitting funny, hunching up a bit, and peeing outside of the box are also symptoms of a urine infection.

Here’s a good reference for foods to feed – towards the bottom you’ll see listed fruits you can give as treats, as well as what treats not to feed.   http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/foods.html

• LillyBear
                  Participant

Just wanted to let you know, we just got back from the vet with Lilly.. she is being treated for GI stasis and bacterial overgrowth.. she got a shot of Reglan and Bactrim.. and we have a bottle of bactrim to give her 1.5cc of it 2x daily.. he also gave us a jar of baby food to give her until she starts eating.. she wont even eat that.. lol.. we are shoving it in, and she is flicking it everywhere.. its okay.. we will keep trying.. my poor bunny : (

• jellyrose
                    Participant
                    111 posts Send Private Message

How is Lilly? I hope she’s feeling better. When one of my buns had this problem we used a feeding syringe and mashed up some of the regular pellets with cooled boiled water (you have to make it sloppy enough to squeeze out the little hole). Work the syringe tip into the side of her mouth, behind the front teeth and she will start licking and then inject it slowly! We also continues to put his regular food down and stopped syringe feeding as soon as he made an effort to eat by him self. Also our vet told us some warm, watered down pinapple juice is quite effective at getting things going again…. about 5mls per day. I used to feed yoghurt drops too until I found out they were bad. We’re all learning! Sending snuggles Lilly’s way!

• LillyBear
                      Participant

Thanks jelly!! I should let you all know, Lilly is back to her old self. !!! When we got home last night we tried feedign the baby food.. that didn’t go well, she hated it I think.. and this bunny will NOT eat things she doesn’t like!! So I left her for about 1/2 hour so she could chill out after the nasty baby food.. and then went back and started shoving hay into her mouth.. at first she was spitting it out.. but then she took a bite.. then another.. and another.. so I gave a few pieces of hay.. and then I thought.. okay lettuce time.. and she took it like a champ.. and ate 1/3 of the bowl! Within an hour.. it was all gone.. so I gave her more! And that one was gone within 5 minutes.. I kept watching her.. and then, yay she went to the bathroom.. and now.. shes perfect little crabby bunny like usual!!

• LillyBear
                        Participant

Oh yeah, Im still giving her the bactrim medication that the Dr. gave us even though it appears she had GI stasis.. just in case!!

Binky, I was telling you she had loud gurgles.. at 4:21pm.. but by the time bf got home at 4:40pm.. I listened again and heard nothing.. so I used a stethoscope.. and still nothing.. so I had bf listen.. and I asked him what he heard (without telling him what meant good or bad) and he said nothing.. so I immediately called the vet.. and we left 10mins later.. since our vet lives in the suburbs.. it took us 1.5hours to get there.. I was FREAKING out because the vet told us they close at 7 and I needed to be there by 6:30.. and we were going idle speed on 55. I called them at 6:30 and told them we would be there in 10 mins.. we were still on our way in 10mins.. but only by about 2 mins.. but they called us and were like maybe you need to go to the 24 hour vet instead we are closing.. and i was like noooooo we are 1min away.. so i got there in a min and ran in.. i was thanking god we were on time.. by the time we got there Lilly was chattering her teeth like she was hypothermic or somthing I felt like crying!!!! I was freaking out in the car!! eep. Me and bf were at eachothers throats the whole ride there.. I think we were both a little on edge about her!

Then the dr. gave her 3 shots and Lilly jumped.. well not jumped.. just startled.. and i got upset.. I dont like to see her hurt!! lol.. but bf gave me a hug.. lol.. i am such a baby about this bunny!!

alas… all is well

jus a story in case you all want to know about my getting to the vet ordeal!

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I’m sorry the vet ordeal was so awful! I am the same way when I see my bunnies get hurt, when Raymond got attacked by Kramer I was crying, and then when the vet had to poke and prod at him, I couldn’t even look.  I don’t know if I would be able to handle a 1.5 hour ride when I am nervous for my bunny, the vet by me is only 20 minutes away, and even that seems like a far ride to me…
                            I’m glad to hear Lilly is feeling better, good job on getting her taken care of!!

• poopy
                            Participant
                            684 posts Send Private Message

Yikes it seems like everyone is getting the GI lately….glad you got yours taken care of Lily. Question for you guys: should every bunny expect to get the GI at least once in their life? I’ve got some trips coming up in August and I’m paranoid Medusa will get it when I’m gone and not be discovered, though she’ll be staying Pooker’s parents. I just don’t trust anyone but myself since I know Medusa.

• LillyBear
                              Participant

^^poopy.. im not sure that every bunny will get it.. my aunt has had her bunny for about 8 years.. and her bun hasn’t had it.. although he did need eye surgery for a genetic defect.. however, I do think it is very good to “expect” it.. I never ever thought my bun would have a problem.. I never expected it to actually happen.. but i did “expect” it.. I made sure I knew all the signs.. and that everyone I talk to knows all the signs.. I am leaving my bun for 3 weeks in Feb of next year as I am going to Hong Kong with the bf to meet his family.. and we can definitley NOT take the bunny there.. she is staying with my sister.. so I am so nervous about that.. but now that I know how Lilly has acted.. I can definitley let my sister know what to look out for in HER.. but honestly.. poopy, the signs are not hard.. I think as long as you make sure Pookers parents know exactly what to look out for, and you give them money to bring Medusa to the vet “just in case” there shouldn’t be a problem..

id like to hear others opinions about this though.. because it does seem lots of bunnies on forums have been having GI problems recently!!

• Lucy
                                Participant
                                370 posts Send Private Message

well Lilly bear, I’m sure you read my post a few weeks ago about Fujoe getting it. It was the scariest thing ever. Our vet is a 10 min walk from here… but it was just waiting for them to have an available appt. Though, with Fujoe he started scarfing down food as soon as we got home- but he got the same two injections and then some meds.

I think that GI stasis is something that occurs, and even though we keep good care of our buns, it does happen. I mean, even if you are really healthy, you sometimes get infections- my dad a few months ago had bacteria buildup in his stomach and had a stomach virus. The doctor said it was something he ate that just built up in his stomach. But my mom and my dad eat the exact same food… old school traditional stuff- my dad even comes home from work for lunch. But anyway, my point is, that it happens, even if we are doing everything right- I’m pretty sure that Fujoe got it cause he broke into the pellet bag.. who knows how much he had…. but i do wonder how often it happens…

• MooBunnay
                                  Participant

It is strange that so many people have had problems with stasis recently, and I am also afraid that my bunny is having trouble.  Raymond, that got in the fight with Kramer, has been on Baytril, and he just hates the meds, and now he is barely eating, I have been talking to the vet and they said that since he is eating a liiiitle bit it is OK for the moment, but I am afraid he is going to stop.  He has only made about 20 small poops since last night, and I offered him a baby carrot, but he only took one little munch and then stuck his nose up at it.  He is still acting normal though.

Does anyone know if Baytril has a loss of appetite side effect?

Thanks!

• BinkyBunny

MooBunnay – I emailed you too about this, but I’ll post some of the tips here too to help anyone else that might ever go through the same thing.
                                      Rucy always feels "icky" after she’s been given a full dose of Baytril, so here are some tips that may make it better;
                                      1. Give meds after meal time
                                      2. If the prescription requires to give once a day, then  ask your vet if you can divide it up. (I know my vet has never had a problem with that  – Many times with cuts and infections, they give some strong doses to prevent infection absesses)
                                      3. Ask if your vet can offer a flavor mixture (Rucy likes Banana) Baytril is horrible tasting and that alone can turn them off.

If after all three things don’t work, then the vet may either need to lower the dosage, or find another med that would suit your bunny better. You can always try this first if you are feeling it’s urgent.

• MooBunnay
                                      Participant

Hi!

Thanks! I didn’t think of splitting up the doses, its true that Raymond HATES the taste.  Its extra cute how he uses his little paw to cover his mouth when I try to syringe feed him though.  I got him to eat a few stalks of alfalfa (which makes me think he may just be smart enough to PRETEND not to be eating to get some treats but I’m glad something went down.  Also, I checked his box when i went home at lunch time, and there is a few poops, and some pee in the box, which made me feel better (haha, my windows were open when I was saying "good poops Raymond, and good pees Raymond! and then I noticed my neighbor cleaning his yard out front could hear me, o well, i’ve got the crazy bunny lady rap already!)

I’m going to the vet to pick up some critical care just in case we get to that point this weekend,but for now, at least he’s munchin on the alfalfa and lettuce!

• MooBunnay
                                        Participant

Since Raymond and Kramer got into a fight, I assumed that Raymond would not want to be around him, so he was in my bedroom.  But then I remembered that bunnies are are social, so I brought Raymond out to the living room so he can SEE Kramer and Juli, but not get too close, and all of a sudden he’s doin binkies and leaps and head flicks galore guess he forgave Kramer! He’s even doing some more munching!

• LillyBear
                                          Participant

Fujoe .. thanks for replying! when this was happening to my bun, you were the first person on my mind!! haha.. I was thinking this could never happen to my bun.. but it happened to yours.. and i know how good you take care of your rabbits.. so i knew if it happened to yours it could happen to mine too.. i think your experience helped me through mine!! I can’t imagine having to WAIT for an appointment at the vet!!!! wow. I just called and she said get her in before 6:30.. of course i was a little late on that.. but we still managed.. id be sick waiting!! i think it was better driving even though it took a while cause i knew as soon as we got there they would see lilly! I am glad to hear Fujoe got the same 2 shots.. that gives me some more faith in my Dr. haha. : )

haha Moo that is CUTE!!! So much for bunny grudges!! : ) and I totally understand about with the windows open.. lol my windows are open too.. and im sure the neighbors think im insane.. ok so we are a little obsessed wiht our rabbits.. thats okay : )

every time Lilly lays down I keep getting scared now lol.. she is probably thinking “leave me alone already!!” but i can’t help it!! every time i see her plop down I grab somthing for her to eat and stick it in her mouth! 😡 eep. Im so scared it will happen again!!

• BinkyBunny

Bunnies can actually do binkies as a way to escape danger and predators – as well as they do this during fights (their wild cousins do this)  So he MIGHT also be binkying to practice his battle moves.  Doesn’t mean that is actually what he is doing, but it’s just another bit of bunny trivia to keep in mind.

When Jack chewed on something he wasn’t supposed. I would approach him, and he would run away and do binkies.  I always thought he loved being naughty, which might have been the case, but then I read the book "Why does my rabbit….."  and I learned rabbits also do binkies to escape trouble which made me think twice about why he was doing binkies when I caught him.  

I actually think he really has fun doing binkies, so his instincts may have at first made him do a binky when he knew he was in trouble, but then as he did it, he enjoyed it.  Such a cute face he’d make – he’s so expressive.   Sort of how like dogs and cats instincts may be to chase something, but they enjoy it too.   Does that make sense?

• MooBunnay
                                              Participant

Hahahaa, hmmm that could be true, maybe Raymond is doing some bunny kung-fu moves to make sure Kramer doesn’t come around again   I was at Venice beach today, and I bought Raymond one of those "happy bunny" tin signs that says "trespassers butchered" and I hung it up on his cage!  Even if he is doing some territorial preparation dances, at least for the moment, its a good thing because now he’s eating a lot more so he can make his territorial poops! Never thought I’d be so happy to see a bunny poop!

• Bunnies4ever
                                                Participant
                                                368 posts Send Private Message

It does seem like bunnies are having bouts of GI statis lately. I wrote a couple weeks ago about Kahlua having it. I know diet and/or stress has a lot to do with it, but Kahlua has the same diet, so I know it’s not food. I figure it’s stress. I remember when I first brought him home from his foster mom’s he didn’t eat for a day! But he soon settled in and was fine. Having some gas drops on hand, (plus a stethoscope) is good. Knowing your bunny’s habits and being observant is the best way to keep GI statis from getting out of hand. Kahlua doesn’t like strangers and I think that’s what stressed him out. When people are around, he doesn’t know, he won’t even come out of his cage for a day or two. Also, those treats that are sold in pet stores are not good for rabbits either. I know HRS sells dried papaya and strawberries as treats which are good once in a while. My buns love it and get excited when they see the container! I hope Lilybear is back to her old self soon! Let us know who she’s doing.

• Gravehearted
                                                  Participant
                                                  2428 posts Send Private Message

well when it’s a heavy shedding time – like spring – that’s when you’ll see the most cases of stasis. i absolutely agree with bunnies4ever, that keeping a careful eye on your bunny to see clues and warning away from many commercial treats.

tips that can help prevent stasis during heavy shedding (or blowing the coat as we sometimes say)

– make sure to brush your buns often
                                                    – hay and lots of it! add some fresh daily 🙂
                                                    – fresh water must always be available
                                                    – use papaya tablets as a treat
                                                    – check the litterbox daily for clues. misshapen small poopies or what they call string of pearls (a several poopies connected by fur) are the first symptoms that there may be a problem. so if you see them keep a careful eye that your bunny is eating.
                                                    – use a measuring cup or scoop for your bunny’s pellets, so it’s easy to monitor if your bunny has been eating

• Lucy
                                                    Participant
                                                    370 posts Send Private Message

Lilybear- I don’t know if your Dr. can do this (in case it happens again).. but our vet called in our prescription into a place where they flavor it. So it tasted like bananas. I can find out the name of the place- I guess they do this so it’s easier for the bunnies to take meds. They also made it into a liquid- Fujoe would try to rip the dropper away from us because he loved the taste so much!

The pharmacy is somewhere on lincoln.. maybe near the palina brown line?? I don’t know since I didn’t pick it up.. but if you have a car- it’s really not bad for you.

• osprey
                                                      Participant
                                                      2065 posts Send Private Message

Our vet/pharmacy will also flavor the meds for you.  When I took one in for stasis and they had to give him Propulsid, they asked me if he preferred banana or apple.  Critical Care also comes flavored if you want it.

• LillyBear
                                                        Participant

Fujoe.. thank god our medicine giving is over.. but our Bactril was flavored!!! We had grape flavor, as Lilly hates bananas. Haha, that is funny that Fujoe would try to get the dropper away from you.. as soon as I pulled out our dropper, Lilly would start growling and trying to run away from us! To bad we are faster… lol. Thank you for the suggestion though! I can not even imagine trying to get her to eat tablets.. or unflavored medicine.. Im sure Id have been killed by her!!

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE my bunny wont eat