Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR My Bunny Went CRAZY

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

Okay so I have been up really late for the past few nights and I noticed that a lot of nights my  boy bunny Levi will randomly start running around his cage like a crazed maniac. There are no loud noises or startle factors he just flips out and runs around kicking wood shavings everywhere! Is this a male bunny thing or just a crazy bunny behavior thing?

THanks again

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello! This is a very normal bunny thing to do. The crazy runs and jumps in the air are “binky’s” that your bunny is doing to play and have fun. It would be a good idea to litterbox train your bunny, and give him a larger pen to run around in at night so he can have lots of space to play. Once he’s litterbox trained you can keep him on carpet and get him a new kind of litter, because wood shavings aren’t really recommended for bunnies because they are not healthy for them. The way I put together my litterboxes is I put a safe type of litter in the bottom, and then fill the box with hay. This teaches the bunny to use his litterbox AND by putting fresh hay in the box every day you can make sure your bunny is eating plenty of hay!

• 5cats1bun
          Participant
          240 posts Send Private Message

sounds like he’s doing a binky dance to me (happy bunny dance). it’s good thing and not just a male thing.

• Deleted User
            Participant

I fully intend to let them house bunny it up, but the litter training has been slow going, perhaps since they are not spayed yet, that is part of the problem, they seemed to have the training down and then all of the sudden they went back to using the whole cage as a litter box and so I am trying to take it slow. we are working on keeping them in the kitchen and then slowly opening up their space to include the living room, we dont have any carpeting though so I am wondering if I should give them an old towel, or maybe some old shirts. Glad to know it is normal bunny behavior, is it somewhat breed specific cause my female lionhead never seems to do it, although overall she seems a lot more calm than the male. He loves to jump around and run in his cage and in my kitchen.

So maybe my crazy bunny isnt so crazy after all.

• xirishsweetheartx
              Participant
              70 posts Send Private Message

My new male bunny acts like that all the time he isnt fixed as well. I just take him out and play with him until he gets tired. Then hes done with the running around until the next day. Would be better if my house was more rabbit friendly. Both my bunnies live in the basement which half is now my brothers room. We have cords and stuff everywhere for my bunnies to get into so when I let them out I have to watch their every move lol

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Your rabbits are beginning to reach sexual maturity and their hormones may make it much more challenging to littertrain over the next months. Also, you will soon need to separate them if they are together. Females can get pregnant as early as 3 months. (And even if you have no problem with them having babies, it’s not good for a female to get pregnant so young)

So I do hope what’s happening is actually binkies, not mounting or fighting. Be sure to check that out carefully.

• Deleted User
                  Participant

Yeah, no mounting or fighting so far. I am home all day, and usually in the living room with them so I am keeping a close eye. I am hoping that I can get her to the vet next week and find out about the spaying. I think someone on here had mentioned that the german zoo store might not have given me the right ages, and I am thinking that is a real possibility. My lionhead female (Astrid) still has a lot of her baby furryness so I am not sure if she is as old as they say she is, but she is so much bigger than Levi, but maybe it is partly the fur! They are really nice to eachother, and they snuggle all the time, and If we take one out the other tries to climb out and play too and I am wondering if when I separate them for the spaying and till it is safe for them to hang out together if they will still be bonded when I bring them back together or will it be a slow re-bonding experience?

Thanks

Ashley 

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

Nope, you’re bunny is NOT crazy Some bunnies binky more than others – I think it just depends on the bunny and what kind of mood they are in!

You’ll have to be careful when re-introducing them, but you can make it easier by letting them have cages next to each other while they are both healing from their surgeries, so that they can smell each other and get used to each other’s scents. They will probably re-bond quite easily, but you can do slow and supervised introductions just to make sure they are getting along before leaving them alone together.

• MsBinky
                      Participant
                      62 posts Send Private Message

Ever given a lil kid sugar before going to bed? Well that’s what those bunnies look like. Lol. Like if they are on a sugar rush. It’s quite funny to watch  At least you know he’s in a good mood.

• kralspace
                        Participant
                        2663 posts Send Private Message

aaahhhhh, I love to watch the bunny dance, or the zoomies! The lovely Pringles is the only one of the 3 that’s really a racer, but she can fly, even on the wood floors. I have an older house with the walk-through floor plan (no central hallway) so when the cats start their nightly zoomines around and around the house, Pringles is right in the middle of them.

By sitting on the couch I can see down through 3 rooms to where they have to turn into the bedroom or make the corner and sometimes Pringles is traveling too fast and slides out, taking a cat with her into the wall. Going the other way, I’ve looked up to see Pringles take a flying leap and land with feet sprawled out sliding into the bedroom and under the bed. Then she comes out and makes another lap. I just have to make sure no one closes a door while the race is on or there can be a pileup.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR My Bunny Went CRAZY