Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My Bunny Having Seizures?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Dally
      Participant
      49 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I recently got a lionhead i named clover. She was doing great until one day, she stopped playing and running and started shaking. She completely lost her balance, and couldn’t even move. I Found her waterbowl completely full, when i had filled it up the night before. We got a dropper and got some water into her, and then she was fine. We thought it was a one time thing, so we forgot about it. Then, this morning, she had another one. we found her stuck on her side, unable to get up, and not struggling at all. She has always been a little unsteady on her feet, and occasionally fell over, but she always got back up again. Then she started twitching and shivering. We did the same thing as last time, and eventually it worked, and she’s fine now. But has anyone ever had a bunny do this? THe two seizures were almost a month apart, so i don’t know if they’re connected or not. Is she actually having seizures, or something else?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

You should definitely take her to the vet. It does sound like a seizure. I don’t recommend trying to syringe her anything during one of these episodes, as she could aspirate. They can be caused by E cuniculi, which can cause progressive damage to the nervous system and kidneys if left untreated. So yes, please have her seen by a rabbit savvy vet ASAP.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Dally
          Participant

Ok thank you! i will go to the vet asap

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

Agreed that this merits vet assessment at this point. There is no way for us to diagnose the seizures, but an experienced rabbit veterinarian will have access to resources and tests that can better inform your rabbit’s health status and any potential explanations for the things you have been observing.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
              16898 posts Send Private Message

What you’re describing sounds like a seizure. Unfortunately, seizures can be caused by a number of different things. Your best bet is to have a vet do an assessment to determine what is causing the seizures. EC is a common cause, but not the only one.

• Dally
                Participant

Hi, So we went to the vet, and they think that she had some sort of parasite (that we treated) but the side affects stay with her for the rest of her life. The seizures were mostly because of dehydration, because she can’t get to her water bowl (the parasite affected her brain, so she can no longer walk). Thanks for all your help!

• Bam
                  16871 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the update!

I’m very sorry your bun is struggling. The parasite is (most likely) encephalitozoon cuniculi, commonly called EC or E Cuniculi. It is an intracellular parasite, so its very, very small (microscopic). Many buns carry this parasite, they can even get it from their mum before they are born. Treatment is Panacur (fenbendazole) for 28 days, plus antiinflammatory meds (meloxicam). The damage the parasite does to the bun can, as you say, result in  permanent disability. It’s very sad.

The website Disabled Rabbits has many good tips on how to care for a disabled rabbit: http://www.disabledrabbits.com/

• Dally
                    Participant

Yes, we have treated her, but i think we caught the parasite too late 🙁 Thank you so much for the link, its really helpful.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My Bunny Having Seizures?