Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE My bunny has eaten ALOT of lino

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Shael
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello.

This morning I noticed my rabbit wasn’t eating, and was not behaving normal.

I took her to the vet, he said the only thing he found that was abnormal is that he could not hear much bowel movement.

He gave her a shot of something to help move it along, I am to take her back tomorrow if she is still not eating.

But when I got home, I noticed that a load of the lino had vanished, like a good 12″ squared. And she did not just chew it, because I could not see any bits around.

Why would she just keep eating the lino?,  It obviously does not taste nice. she has also eaten alot of my wallpaper. I have told her off everytime she does this, but continues anyway.

Will a rabbit really continue to eat something until they kill themselves? I was unaware that she was actually digesting these undigestable things, so I gave up trying to stop her.

She ate a bit of salad when she got back, but she is not herself. I am very worried about her.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

You should share this information with your vet, because it may change the treatment procedure. There is a chance of a blockage with eating that much of a foreign substance, so the vet may want to do x-rays.

And yes, rabbits do eat lots of things they aren’t supposed to. As domesticated animals they don’t have the same instincts that wild rabbits do.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
          5771 posts Send Private Message

“I have told her off everytime she does this…” – unfortunately, rabbits and humans don’t communicate or think the same way, so rather than trying to instruct otherwise, it will probably be more effective to find ways for her to not do this, such as limiting access to the edges of the flooring that she can get to and eat. As Dana mentioned, domesticated rabbits do not have instincts that say whether or not something is good for them. Even from an animal perspective, they can’t really have a good gauge on human-made things, considering they aren’t natural either.

Rabbits chew, and your rabbit decided to chew on lino. Rabbit chewing/destruction is in their nature and they in fact need to do it to survive. It is your responsibility to find rabbit-safe things for her chew and digest, including hay and rabbit-safe materials, like particular woods, mats, and cardboard, and at the same time eliminate her access to things you feel she shouldn’t chew, like parts of your home and toxic things.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
            16869 posts Send Private Message

I agree that the vet should be made aware. You want to make sure she doesn’t have a blockage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE My bunny has eaten ALOT of lino