Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR My bunny doesn’t play

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • lychee02
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Is my rabbit okay?

I have a male rabbit, age 3, neutered and litter trained. He doesn’t really play with his toys. When I first got him, he would use his chew toys but he doesn’t anymore (most of them are just stubs now. He still has one that is a few wood blocks tied together with a string but he has never shown interest in that one no matter how many times I tied it above his bed or tried moving it like a snake. I’ve also made him a digging box and snuffle mat, both of which he lost interest in very quickly even after I put treats in them). He sometimes chews on the carpet or paper if it’s within his reach, but overall he’s not destructive. Before he was neutered he occasionally would run around my bedroom (he’s free-roam). He was never super energetic but he’s been more lethargic. He spends most of the day just sitting and eating. A lot of the time he’s spread out or flopped on his side, which I think is a good sign, and he LOVES pets but I’m a bit concerned about why he is so inactive and if he’s getting enough stimulation.

I have looked into getting him a bonding mate but he was neutered only a few weeks ago and I don’t think I could afford a second rabbit. He has a rabbit stuffed animal that looks semi-realistic. I pretended to have the toy groom him, eat with him, and join him in the litter box but he ignores it (I am not sure if he has ever seen another rabbit. Does that matter?)

I’ve only had him for a few months. He previously belonged to a child and was mostly kept in a cage. The mother gave him to me because she realized he wasn’t being taken care of properly. She told me she got him from a pet store but I don’t know anything else about his early years. I think this might be a reason for his behavior.

Sorry that this was so long.

• LBJ10
        16870 posts Send Private Message

Is he a lazy lop? LOL Sorry, you’re description sounds like a stereotypical lop bunny. They just aren’t that energetic.

A lot of bunnies do not play with toys. At least not what we consider to be rabbit toys. Things to try might be an old phone book (if you can find one nowadays), a cat treat ball, dog puzzle toys, etc.

• LittleLionMan
          Participant
          133 posts Send Private Message

i have a 5 year old lionhead and have spent way too much money on toys for him. He’s only showed interest in a few of them, and typically by the time I repurchased he lost interest. He tends to love the boxes they come in more than the toys themself! My new lop, on the other hand, actually plays and enjoys all toys. She loves to pick things up and shake them up and down. It’s so funny to see the difference in behavior, but also nice to finally have the toys be appreciated!
            few suggestions: Have you tried stacking cups? Putting some pellets in those tends to be a bit in my house. Same for woven mats. Prior to getting my second bunny, my lionhead also just liked having a stuffed buddy to groom and hang out with. Also, toys aren’t the only way to provide stimulation — you can also stimulate them by taking them to a new area. If he’s used to being in one room, maybe take him to another (rabbit proofed) room so he can explore!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR My bunny doesn’t play