Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE My Bunny Doesn’t Like Timothy Hay!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • WoWo
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

My bunny doesn’t like to eat Timothy Hay. He is almost 3 months old. I have been feeding him Alfafa since several sources stated that baby bunnies should be fed Alfafa. I am trying to slowly switch him to Timothy. I tried both KayTee and Oxbow. He doesn’t like either. Any other ideas? I heard that I can try other grass hay. Any recommendations?

• Moonlight_Wolf
        Participant
        1155 posts Send Private Message

Meadow hay, and orchard grass are other options.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

My buns like Oxbow Orchard. He can still have some alfalfa until he’s about 6 or 7 months old, but it is a good idea that you begin to introduce the grass hays now. Many bunnies will snub timothy when they are still receiving alfalfa b/c I think it has a better to taste to some. Do you toss it all together and he picks out only the alfalfa pieces?

• WoWo
            Participant

Hi Beka,

Yes, thats exactly what he does. He picks out the alfalfa. I put them in his litter box, and I am always left with a full box of Timothy Hay. By the way, can you tell what breed my bunny is. I was told by the owner that he is netherland dwarf mix with mini rex or rex.

Thanks for your help!

• Elrohwen
              Participant
              7318 posts Send Private Message

Are you still feeding him unlimited pellets? I find that my 5 month old bun goes for pellets and alfalfa first and will only eat the grass hays if he’s really hungry. I think once I limit his pellets more he’ll go for the grass hay because he won’t have any options. So maybe when your bun has graduated to an adult bun diet, he’ll learn to like grass hay because he has to! I’ve started to limit his pellets, but he gets mad when he’s hungry and I won’t give him any more; he starts throwing his bowl all over the cage and flipping his feet at me 😉 But all owners of baby buns have to be prepared for tantrums I guess.

And if you post a good pic of your bun, we can try to figure out what breed he is.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think that all of my bunnies would also pick out the alfalfa hay if they had the option mixed with their Timothy hay, so I’m not surprised that he picks out the alfalfa hay. I would reduce the amount of alfalfa mixed in the Timothy hay gradually, and see if he starts picking up on eating the timothy hay once he doesn’t have the alfalfa as an option. For picky eaters, I think that some of the mini-baled hays they sell on this website are a good option, you could try a few different kinds and see if there is a particular hay that he really likes. 

• WoWo
                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your reply! Yeah, i am currently feeding him unlimited pellets. I think i will start limiting his pellets in a month or two and see if i willl eat the timothy hay when hes hungry. At the same time, i can try other grass hay too. Thanks again everyone!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE My Bunny Doesn’t Like Timothy Hay!