Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My bunny died and I’m devastated

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Oreo93
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

this isn’t something I thought I’d be writing so soon. We had Oreo from when she was 12 weeks old. She became my best friend and the bond we had was unreal.

a few days ago she was off her food but still eating a bit and drinking so thought it was just an off day as she had had it before but the vet said to monitor as she was still eating. The next day she was sat in a corner lethargic with her back to us. I could hear wheezing and thought she needs to get to vet. She ended up with an eye infection on the way to. Turns out she had pneumonia. We left her and the vet rang us a few hours later saying she was reacting well to medication. 2 hours later we get a call saying she has fitted and there doing cpr. Heartbreakingly she passed away.

I am absolutely devasted. Haven’t stopped crying for the last 2 days. She was only 2 so young and we had so much more love and memories to give her.

can anyone suggest anything for the grief? I feel like a part of my heart has been torn out of chest.

thank you

lauren

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear about Oreo, Lauren. It is so clear that Oreo was so loved and cared for– what a wonderful life she had.

You are free to share as many pictures and stories here, if that helps. Ultimately, time will help too. I know it’s tough, and if you have any thoughts of “What if I…” or “I should have…”, I recommend not lingering on those thoughts. They are inevitable, and we all have them, but especially for caring rabbit owners who genuinely are doing their best, sometimes a rabbit’s passing is something that couldn’t have been anticipated. It hurts a lot, but at the same time, it’s not your fault. You gave her a wonderful life, and that’s the most any bun could ask for.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry- I know that was a terrible shock. She was beautiful.

Sadly, many of us find outthat bunnies are more delicate than we know. They also are very good at hiding illness, so when we do begin to see any symptoms it can be more serious. It’s not something you can be expected to spot. They are magicians at hiding problems. She was very young, but probably was born with a susceptible weakness.

Mourning is so hard when it’s sudden. Sometimes going to the Rainbow Bridge website is helpful. They used to have a weekly non-denominational service once a week for pet owners to formally say goodbye and feel some closure.

My first bunny was 7, and ironically I found binkybunny for the first time a month after he passed. It really helped me to share my little stories about him, post photos and chat on others’ posts. I found it comforting to look at other members’ pix of their bunnies. Gave me that ‘bunny fix’ I craved when friends with dogs or cats didn’t get it. So please stay with us as long as it helps. Nearly a year later I gotanother bunny, and had a lot of new Binkybunny friends online to help me celebrate!

Hugs, Rabbitpam

• Oreo93
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you both for your replies. It’s not any easier this morning but I know that she’s no longer in pain and that she’s bouncing around meadows and eating lots of carrots and banana (those were her favourite)

she’s been sent to be cremated and we’ll hopefully have her back next week. I find myself going in to her bedroom and just sit talking to this little shrine me and my wife have made until we get her ashes. Sometimes it brings me comfort but then I’ll just start crying again.

Me and my wife have said we won’t get another for at least a couple of year now. Just until we know that the grief has gone and not feel like in a way we are ‘replacing’ her. Also got a card from the vet that we took her to in the post saying sorry for your loss which made me cry even more 😢

but thank you both for your advice it’s really appreciated  🧡🧡

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. 🙁  I have noticed that sometimes a serious issue will present like something treatable, and then suddenly the rabbit will crash. It is so devastating, especially in a young rabbit (I lost my bun Moose when he was only a year very suddenly, after we had had him for only about 5 months).

I understand not wanting to get another rabbit too soon. You might find comfort in fostering another bun if you are able too. I fostered a pair of young buns after I lost Bertha and it really helped me (and them). We didn’t end up adopting them but it did help them find a forever home and it helped me a lot with the grieving process.

I’ve also found it helps to jot down happy memories of the bun whenever you think of them. In time you might want to make a photo collage of her (it took me about a year to be able to do this for Bunston).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My bunny died and I’m devastated