Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My bun hates being brushed

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemski
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

my one bun hates being brushed or pet. She is molting and I’m not sure how to get the excess hair off. I’ve tired several brushes and wetting my hands or a paper towel but she just hates it. She also doesn’t really like to be pet so I try not to force interactions on her but her hair is everywhere and I’ve read they can get statis from it. She is more accepting of pets if she is close to her bond mate. I’ve had her a year and unsure why she hadn’t warmed up to me. Any help or pointers appreciated

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Have you tried handplucking off tufts/areas that have released when she is close to her bondmate? You can sometimes get a significant amount while they are occupied eating veggies or pellets.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Lemski
            Participant

I’ve tired. She runs away and tires to hide so I give her space to cool down. She is so dramatic at times lol  She wasn’t this skittish before being bonded. Maybe I’ll try when she’s eating and close to her hubs.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes it’s less “traumatic” to simply pick them up, place them in an unfamiliar place (e.g. a table) and do a deep grooming for as long as you can.

• Lemski
                Participant

Thanks. I will try it!

• Hey There Delilah
                Participant
                8 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit loves pets but hates being brushed. It’s taken her a really long time to warm up to it. I find I get luckier if I distract her with something else, like greens or a chew stick.

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

Agree with LBJ10, two of my buns tolerate brushing, but the other two I have to put on the table to do a deep grooming when they are molting. Usually they are good with just a few of these (twice a week) during the heavy molting period. They forgive me pretty quickly once they get their post-grooming treat 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                    Participant
                    743 posts Send Private Message

Dorian (my bun) hates being brushed, he will hide if he even sees me grab the comb. He does get stasis from it, so it has to be done & I have taken to brushing him on a towel on a table… I can’t go longer than a couple minutes or he will still try and bolt, but at least I can get the worst of it this way. He isn’t happy about it but he does get a treat after, which seams to appease him. Pineapple as it helps break down the fur in the gut (as does papaya, but he doesn’t like that).

• Rabbittherabbit101
                      Participant
                      22 posts Send Private Message

If the tufts are very visible, my partner and I will lightly grab our rabbit’s with a sticky lint remover. We just graze the detached fur with it and we don’t get any of the other fur. She hates being brushed, so we do the less traumatic bits when she’s eating and then the parts we are not allowed to touch we will use the sticky paper for the tufts.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My bun hates being brushed