Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR My Bun has developed a strange love for my dog

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • maghy7
      Participant
      68 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

I’m in shock, I posted a few days ago my story, I have a bunny and two dogs, one is 11 years old and the other one around 2, the 2 year old plays with the bun a lot and likes to cuddle no problem, he cleans him and they chase each other around the house, the 11 year old doesn’t like him too much, he has never tried to hurt him or anything but due to his age he gets annoyed very easily, my bun kind of got his cold shoulder and leaves him alone but lately he has been developing a weird fascination for the older dog, he will follow him where ever he goes, if he sees him laying down on the floor he will look for him first thing after I let him out of his cage, my dog as soon as he sees the bunny hoping in circles around him gets up and finds a new spot to lay down, well the bunny will follow him and won’t live him alone, my poor dog is getting really annoyed but the bun would not let him be, it’s funny and cute to see but it’s kind of sad seeing the dog upset he just gives me this look of “please get this bunny away from me!!!!!” why is my bun so fixated with him? He only does this with the old dog and won’t even give the time of day to the young one anymore, he just wants to be with the other one all day, he will follow him anywhere he goes and just smell him around, play with his tail, lick him and I have even seen him trying to dig into him?? It sounds weird but he gets on his two back legs and with the front ones he tries to dig into his fur like he does with the carpet, the dog doesn’t mind that too much, I guess it doesn’t hurt him at all, it’s just his presence around him in general that bugs him, have you guys ever seen or heard about this before? Any suggestions or comments?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, I don’t quite know how to tell you this, but I am afraid your bunny is in love with your dog This is exacty how my boy bunny courted my girl bunny. Does your dog always walk away, or sometimes does he lay down with your bun? How do you know that your dog is annoyed? Is he growling or pushing the bunny away? My boy bun also “digs” at my girl bun, she usually gets annoyed and grumbles at him as he prances around her, its pretty funny to watch. I would just keep an eye out for your dog getting TOO annoyed because you wouldn’t want him to turn around and snap at the bunny which could scare him.

• maghy7
          Participant
            I think I know he is annoyed because every time he is laying down and the bunny comes to him, he gets up and walks away to another spot, lays down, the bunny follows him and he gets up again and goes to another spot, and it just keep going on and on, he then goes to the kitchen to drink water and the bunny follows, he comes back to where we are and the bunny behind him, he would not leave him alone, the dog doesn’t growl, he did twice months back but never again, he only moves from one place to the next, he has never stayed on the floor with the bunny, he waits a little to get up thinking that he might go away but the bun gets to close to his face, he smells him everywhere and that’s when it starts and it won’t stop, can he be really flirting with the dog? They are both boys and the bunny is neutered though.

thank you!

• poopy
            Participant
            684 posts Send Private Message

Totally normal! Your bunny is bonded with your dog! This happens alot with cats & rabbits as well. Its great your dog & rabbit can have a peaceful friendship…there are alot of dogs that aren’t gentle enough for rabbits.

• MooBunnay
              Participant

Well, I’m not an expert on the interspecies relationship – but I’m pretty sure they are in love I guess “bonded” is a better way to put it though. Thats pretty cute – can you get some pictures? I’d love to see them!

• MooBunnay
                Participant

Was just thinking, maybe you should get your bunny a bunny friend – then he’d leave your dog alone! Also, I’d be a bit wary of leaving dog and bunny alone together, just in case one day your dog gets a little TOO tired of the bunny that idolizes him

• maghy7
                  Participant

Oh yeah, I never leave the dogs alone with the bun, you never know what can happen, I wonder though if he might be doing that to the dog because he is trying to be the alpha animal in the house, I noticed that lately he has been dropping poop around where we are, and he is even jumping on the couch with me being there leaving a few too, it drives me nuts!! how can I make him stop that behavior? he will only do that around us or the dogs.

• maghy7
                    Participant

I forgot to say that I am trying to get him a companion, we are looking around, there is this shelter here in Colorado where they will take my rabbit for a few days and see who he gets along with the best and they will bring both of them home, I think that is a really good option, that way he gets to see who he likes best instead of making him like any bunny we bring home.

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

I also agree that getting a bunny friend may really help and it’s a wonderful idea to head over the shelter or rabbit rescue. Keep us updated.

Sounds like your older dog is so far tolerating your bunny’s new love for him, but obviously be careful. I’d hate to see your dog get “too annoyed”. Oh, also, when your bunny goes over to your older dog, what does he end up doing. Does he put his head down? Or do you notice his tail going up? Or do you hear in real low honking noises? What body language do you observe as he approaches?

• maghy7
                        Participant

So far I haven’t noticed any noises, I need to pay attention to his head and tail movements, I have seen him when getting close to him that he will run around him in circles like crazy, then he stops and smells him a little, then sometimes he would do the "digging" thing and get off and then do it again, but by then my dog gets up and moves some where else, I need to pay attention to his ears too, I’ll let you know and I’ll post pictures as soon as I can get a few good ones.

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

oo it sounds like you’ve got cross species love! i’m glad you mentioned your bun is neutered, since it sure sounds like mating kinds of rituals. I’m glad to hear you’re looking for a bunny to rescue for him, it sounds like he would really be happy with somebunny to love who loves him bunches in return too.

• BinkyBunny

Ohhh. the circling thing. Well gravehearted is right. It sounds like your bunny wants to mate. How long has it been since he’s been neutered?
                              Jack has been neutered for years and will still circle Rucy to let her know he wants to mate.

Your dog must just be baffled by why he so “appealing” when he just wants to be left alone.

Would you ever consider getting a companion bunny for your bunny?

• maghy7
                              Participant

when I got him he was already neutered, I guess around 7 months then. Yes we are trying to get him a mate, we are looking around, I’m not sure if I should get any bunny from the shelter or if I should try this other place that will take him and shee who he bonds better with and then they will bring both to the house, although that place costs a lot more and right now if we opt for that we would have to wait.

• Gravehearted
                                Participant

it usually works best to let your bun pick his own friend. much like people, bunnies aren’t usually too fond of mail order brides 😉
                                  many rescues will work with you to help your bunny find the right match and then work on bonding with you.

here’s the website of the hrs in your area
                                  http://www.coloradohrs.com/

• MooBunnay
                                  Participant

Hello! Most rescues should have some type of adoption events where you can bring your bunny and introducee him to some females in a “speed dating” kind of way. I think thats the best way to go about it – and that really shouldn’t cost any extra I wouldn’t think – or maybe just a local pound or shelter would let you introduce your bunny to some spayed females. I think the best route is still a rescue group though because they can also assist you with the introduction. Good luck!

• maghy7
                                    Participant

Thank you guys!

Graveherated, yes I already contacted that rescue, we are trying to get a bunny from them, there is one named Scramble that has helicopter ears, he is the cutes thing! we’ll see who bonds better with Pancho.

Here is a new picture that I took last night, just to show you guys how he likes to cuddle with the Lab.

18652589071.JPG

• Gravehearted
                                      Participant

ooo that picture is the cutest! So glad to hear you’ve contacted the rescue already! Is there a way for you to bring Pancho in to pick his own friend? Bunnies generally do best when they can choose their friend – kinda like people 🙂 It’s hard to guess who they’ll pick! Usually male to female bonds are the easiest, but you never know!

• maghy7
                                        Participant

Yes! actually they take my bun for a few days to see who he bonds with the best, then when they are bonded and ready to come home they bring both bunnies to the house, isn’t that wonderful??

• Gravehearted
                                          Participant

wow – that’s great 🙂 can you visit to see how its going?

it sounds a bit optimistic for two buns to be fully bonded within a few days though. Very easy bonds can be as short as a week, but most bonds take a few weeks or even a month or so. It may be that they start the bonding process, but then you’ll need to continue working with them until they are fully bonded?

• maghy7
                                            Participant

I’m pretty sure I can visit, we haven’t started the process yet, hopefully by the end of this month.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure what they do is they start the bonding and then it’s up to me to continue it, at least I know he likes the rabbit he is going to come home with and is not going to be like I bring a new bun and force him to like him. they say it would take from 5 to 9 days. =)

• BinkyBunny

SUCH a cute picture of dog and bunny. How sweet! Keep us updated with the bunny bonding.

• brad
                                                Participant
                                                22 posts Send Private Message

thanks for the website i am also in colorado and looking for a new bun this helps thx…

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR My Bun has developed a strange love for my dog