Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR multiple litterboxes?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Beka27
      Participant
      16016 posts Send Private Message

you will remember from this thread —> binkybunny.com/Default.aspx  —> that Meadow decided to expand her territory to include my kitchen and dining room, both are one large room and they have linoleum/tile flooring.  previously she would not lay a paw in there b/c she’d just slide everywhere.  now the kitchen and dining room are regular retreats for her.  she naps in the dining room under the table or inside of some cardboard boxes i put there for her enjoyment.  i think she likes it b/c it is quiet, away from Michael, a bit darker during the day rather than her enclosure which is by a big window.

1st question:  how long should a rabbit go without using the bathroom?

i was starting to get concerned b/c she was sleeping or lounging around in the dining room, sometimes for 4-6 hours straight without coming out.  she’s usually lazy during the day, but i was worried she was pottying somewhere in there.  i checked everywhere, moved furniture… no pottying anywhere.  so i put a new litterbox under the dining room table (appetizing, i know…)  before she was only using her box in her cage and she ALWAYS returned to it to go potty.  a few days after putting the new box under the table, she has still not used it.  she has sat in it a few times, but that’s it.

2nd question:  is it possible that she will never use a second box?  could she be so well littertrained that it’s her cage box or nothing? 

obviously i don’t mind if she only uses one box, but is that weird the length of time she is going?  her litterbox habits have always been impeccable.  even before her spay she only had a couple accidents.  she doesn’t even leave stray poos.  the only stray ones are ones that get kicked out sometimes.  am i just lucky, or… what?  am i worrying about nothing?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

gee she doesn’t even leave poo lying around wow. what a bun the rest I don’t know about. I guess if she has to go she would go maybe she is too comfy to get up and go I really dont’ know someone else may know better.   but wow no poo gee my Itty Bitty Feda is like that so far. Cotton is getting a lot better about the poo too. not much lying around any more.  I am trying to find another litterbox for Itty Bitty she used the one in her cage. only spot she goes wow I hope it stays that way.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

So is she still only going potty in her one box?

It is possible that she only prefers the cage box – it could be a habit thing – this is my box and this is where I go when I go – a familiarity thing.

• Beka27
            Participant

but is it good for them to hold it that long?

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

That I’m not certain of.

I have never noticed how often my rabbits really use the box to tell you the truth and sometimes mine just sit in the boxes to eat their hay.

Hopefully someone else will have an answer for that.

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

I think your gunna be ok my bunny it heathy and she only goes to the bathroom every 3 hour or so and she is a netherland dwarf so I think your bunny is ok but if she starts looking as though she is having trouble with it take her to the vet (small poops or soft poops) just check on her litterbox and check everyonce and a while… Your justlucky to have her litter trained so well…good luck…

• Beka27
                  Participant

Sarita, should i leave the dining room box there then?  just in case?

• JK
                    Participant
                    2223 posts Send Private Message

Stop bragging Beka! Just kidding! Edson naps for a few hours every day and only occasionally will he get up and use the second litter box I have in his xpen. I put that there when he was peeing in his sleep hoping he would use it as it was next to his napping area. That whole thing lasted 2 weeks and he has never done that again. I cannot figure out for the life of me what was happening but thank god that it has stopped. I would not worry about a thing. Miss Meadow should meet Edson. They would be the perfect couple! Edson has NEVER left a stray poop either. I honestly think he does not know about “marking”. He must have missed that class.

• Beka27
                      Participant

^^^lol!

• kimberleyanddarren
                        Participant
                        2520 posts Send Private Message

god i wish i was talking about hopscotch not peeing enough!! count urself lucky haha!

• Deleted User
                          Participant

totally

• Holly
                            Participant
                            371 posts Send Private Message

LOL Holly was a marker. She is very good about peeing in her litter box, but pooping she sometimes forgets I think. Beka when Holly was in her cage only, she would go, but it was a very small amount. When she got into her x pen, she marked it all up. We thought she was saving it for there. Then she used only one spot and that is where the litter box is. She doesn’t mark anymore. Thank God!!! Maybe that is a question you should ask your vet? If it is good for them to hold it?

• Hedi
                              Participant
                              969 posts Send Private Message

We have 4 buns all that live in the lower level. Our main living space is the middle floor. Each bun has their own litterboxes in their houses but because they can spend hours and hours out upstairs w/ us we have a “community” litterbox in our dining room. It is hidden under a wood shelving unit where they like to play. None of them seem upset at all that they all use it. As long as there is hay in there they are happy! I keep a little water dish there as well just in case anyone gets thirsty.
                                Keep in mind only 2 of my buns are even bonded. So for these guys to come out seperately and use one litter box-its quite impressive!

• belleandferdinand
                                Participant
                                50 posts Send Private Message

I just posted on Belle Princess and her not pooping unless the box is in her preferred corner (after being evicted for thumping.). So Belle has (on at least three evenings) held poop and pee for 9 – 10 hours straight. Once she has access to the ‘special poop corner’ she is back in action, but I have to wonder if it is healthy!

• Beka27
                                  Participant

^^^that’s what i wonder B&F… is it healthy?  i don’t want her damaging her system, but i guess i can’t make her pee… lol.  i did not put hay in that box, but i’m going to, just in case she will use it.  she’s not a big hay eater at all.  maybe that’ll help tho having it in a “new location”.

• Deleted User
                                    Participant

yups sounds good to me.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR multiple litterboxes?