Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A mozzies

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • somebunny
      Participant
      168 posts Send Private Message

hi everyone, well it’s spring time here in sydney; the mozzies are starting to come out and i was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how repel mosquitos from their bunnies?

she is inside but her house is in a back room right near the back door (which does have a fly screen) ..but i just wondered if there’s any extra steps i can take incase the odd mozzie somehow flies inside.

also, there are alot of funny bugs around my house so are there any other types of bugs that may not be good for bunnies?

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

I think that no matter how vigilant you are, some mosquitos will get into your house occasionally. Other than keeping the screens closed as much as possible, there isn’t much more you can do. I guess you could put mosquito netting around their living space if there are lots of bugs getting in. Are you getting bitten alot? If not, then there are probably not that many bugs getting in.

The insects that I know of that cause problems for rabbits are blowflys (these cause Fly Strike), fleas, ticks, mosquitos.

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

Just an idea: can you move her, and her cage, into another room for a few minutes and go outside and bug spray the OUTSIDE of the door and walls? My thought is to repel the bugs from the exterior of the house, and kill some nests, so they aren’t so attracted to it. I know that won’t last, but maybe would help before some of them nest. Then after the smell is gone move her stuff back in. Just being cautious so her stuff inside doesn’t get any airborne spray on it.

We have exterminators here who have “pet safe” chemicals they use, but not sure it’s for mosquitoes.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read that you can use a drier sheet to protect pets from mosquitos since mosquito spray with deet isn’t safe for them. Just rub the drier sheet on them and it repels mosquitos!

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

isn’t there a myxi vacc. that’s available? is this something you can get in AUS?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant

No they can’t get a myxi vac in Aussie as it’s against the law, they don’t want the resistance being transferred to the ferral rabbits, as myxi is designed to kill them…

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

geraniums and citronella plants and candles repel mosquitos I believe marigolds do too. I am pretty sure geraniums are not good for rabbits to eat.  you can check on house rabbit society to be sure of the other plants mentioned.

I plant marigolds with my tomatoes and it helps a lot to repel bugs.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant

Good one BT!!!

Marigolds are also yummy and safe for bunnies to eat!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

I find that lavender works well too. My other suggestion would be to purchase a small (or large) bug zapper. I don’t know if you have them in Oz, they are an electrical unit you hang outside, plug in and the black light attracts them and ZAP! They are toast. Also be sure to check around your yard and such for stagnant water – breeding ground for mosquitos, and plop one of those “dunks” in there to prevent their larvae from hatching.

• jerseygirl
                        22345 posts Send Private Message

Yep, Try keep plants around that repel mozzies but keep out of reach of bun if not edilble.

Sadly, as K&K said, we do not have myxi vacc available here! There is some campaigning though to allow for pet rabbits to be vaccinated but there’s some complication with that. Can’t remember what it is though!

Naz, make sure Hershey is up to date with Calici vacc though as the virus has just been re-released.

• Balefulregards
                          Participant
                          715 posts Send Private Message

I plant Lemon Balm too – as it has similar citronella properties.

• somebunny
                            Participant
                            168 posts Send Private Message

cool, thanks for the ideas guys! so it would be ok to get some pot plants or something (as long as they are kept out of reach)?

jerseygirl, hershey got her needle about 1 month ago, is that recent enough?

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

that’s right, the feral rabbit problem in AUS… well, everyone else had great ideas also.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A mozzies