Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Moving to another country with a bunny

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • MissyBun
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

Me and my partner will be moving to another country next fall. We’re taking our bunny, who turned 1 a while ago, with us but we’re worried since she’s a very anxious bunny and she’s been prone to stasis ever since she was a baby. The journey is about 14 hours long. A 3 hour drive to the airport then some time there and a 3 hour flight. Then a 5 ish hour train ride to our new apartament. I’ll be contacting her vet to organize papers so our baby can fly with us in the cabin.

Does anyone have any tips on making the journey less stressful and safer for our bunny?

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

It’s great you are meeting with your vet!  I would ask them to give you metacam and some sub-q fluids in case you need them, and definitely bring critical care (or another recovery food) in case you need to syringe feed. You vet will be able to advise you on how to give fluids and when you should give meds or syringe feed.

I drove cross country with my rabbits when I moved and I tried to take long breaks every 4-6 hours so the buns could eat something. They didn’t always eat a lot, but I made sure they at least got something in their system. I had some salads of their favorite veggies that I would offer on breaks (rinsed so they would also get hydration), and sometimes some recovery food with a little banana mashed in to encourage them to eat it.

On my trip, one of my bunnies wouldn’t eat in the evening after about day 2, so I had to syringe feed her morning and night, and give fluids every night. She was just fine once we got to our destination though!

I set up the carriers so they had a pee pad, some litter, and a layer of hay in them. I had hard sided carriers so I had little water crocks attached to the side about half full so they didn’t splash. I’ve also heard of people using those expandable carriers so the bun can hop around a bit while they were waiting in the airport.

Be sure to bring enough hay and pellets with you to get you through any unexpected delays, especially since you have a few different modes of transportation.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• MissyBun
            Participant
            16 posts Send Private Message

Oh! Thank you! I never would’ve thought to ask for sub-q fluids!

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Moving to another country with a bunny