Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Moving the rabbit cage? Allergies? sort of…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • DutchRabbitsFtw
      Participant
      273 posts Send Private Message

so if youve read my last post then you’ll know whats going on; well i have sort of “decided” on moving the rabbit cage (AKA XL dog crate) out of my room and into the dining room. however i have my concerns. but i’ll tell you what my plan is first.

so my plan is to move the cage out of my room and into my dining room; but i will give him free time inside of my room. good idea? and its not like im deathly allergic or anything. i am getting over a cold and i seem to cough around him. and i dont know if this is because of my rabbit or because of my cold or a contribution of both. but i am wheezing a bit; but i have had HORRIBLE congestion lately and i have been wheezing on and off for a couple of days. also i was outside today and it was sort of cold out. is this a good plan? he will still have a lot of free time; if not more but im just worried about:

1) transportation. i have a carrier but it takes forever for him for him to get in -_-. i have tried treats but once it is in the carrier its as if he totally forgets about it. 

2) my family. my sister likes to bang on the piano. she also plays some baby songs like… some easy songs like old mcdonald had a farm and etc. she is young and really loves my rabbit because “he is so cute”; and also my mom… im afraid they will hover over the cage and stress him out. but i mean he will be in my room free range most of the time anyway… (more room since the cage will be out) . and she uses the “i take piano lessons” excuse for all the noise she makes. 

3) my dog. he and my rabbit have met; my rabbit doesnt care; he doesnt react to my dogs barks either which is good since my dog barks a lot. but since he doesnt react to it i as thinking that maybe he is used to the sound of his barking? also my dog doesnt care about my rabbit. he will stare for a few seconds but then walk off. 

4) whenever he is in my room wont he feel “stressed” that his cage isnt in my room? cause usually he goes in his cage to relax and stuff after hes done playing; but now he has decided to flop on the carpet ha. i will provide another water dish and transport his little box into my room and back into his cage when its time for him to go to sleep.  (not a big deal since i spot clean it daily after hes eaten his veggies, and i could just feed him his afternoon veggies in my room.) . but i dont want him to think that his “safe haven” (cage) is gone and that when he comes into my room there is so protection? no one comes into my room and he seems to be pretty used to me but you know.. just in case. also what if his cage becomes a dread? cause of all the noise? and lights, sounds and smells? usually my house is fairly quiet but when im not in my room i am very loud. (not screaming) but i like to talk loudly and laugh obnoxiously about lots of things lol. could i buy a blanket and cover half the cage with a blanket? it would also help keep the hairs in cause he likes to sleep on the second level and lots of hairs like to stick out from the sides. i would only cover half of the cage with a blanket. 

is this even a good idea? i dont want to weaken my already weak immune system,. but i mean the only symptom i have is coughing and my air is very stuffy and hard to breathe in because its so thick? cant explain it though… thanks! btw, he would only be in his cage whenever i am asleep and at school; like always. he has never ventured out of my room before. he has went outside though (today was his first day and he was only out for eh… 10 mins). thanks! 

• Kai Loves Olive
        Participant
        19 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think it sounds like the best idea. I mean your health is probably most important but I know loud noises, picking a rabbit up and transporting him frequently, and barking dogs are all things that can really stress a rabbit out. If you do move him I say make sure he has a hidey house or some area that’s his that he can hide in and feel safe in in your room. :/

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

so this started with the hay? So is this more of a hay allergy rather than a rabbit allergy? Also, rabbit urine can be strong in ammonia and so you may be sensitive to that as well. Oat hays can be better for allergy sufferers and the air filter should also help. I read your other post and its wonderful that your mom has been so supportive and is trying to find solution. Until you can get your allergies under control is there any other place that would be a bit quieter for your bunny? Together with your family set up rules and a plan for the bunny being now with the family instead of just in your room. Having a bunny be part of the family with where his pen is can be a positive too but only if everyone is on board with a setup and plan with rules that allow the bunny to be safe and secure….and feel safe and secure.

• kinggoblin
            Participant
            416 posts Send Private Message

I think it might be upsetting to him, mine is in the kitchen but its just me, my fiance, and the dog and we are all really quiet and he gets to be left alone while he sleeps during the day. But when we have visitors (rarely, maybe 2-3 days every few months) he gets really upset over strangers being near his area and the noise so I have to keep them out of there, and when we visit my fiances family I tried putting his cage in the dining room/entry hall and he was really upset over the other dogs, other people, and noise so he has to stay with us upstairs in the bedroom w/ bathroom where its quiet.

Maybe you could try an air purifier for your bedroom? You could put it near the rabbit cage.

• DutchRabbitsFtw
              Participant
              273 posts Send Private Message

oh thanks, yeah i decided to keep my rabbit in my room. i think its actually just me getting over my cold. i’ll see how everything turns out after i get over my cold

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Moving the rabbit cage? Allergies? sort of…