Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Moving from house to apartment – what are some ways I can house my buns?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • kanin
      Participant
      139 posts Send Private Message

Hello all. I currently live in a house with roommates, where I am in a really big master bedroom with my bunnies (1 bonded pair and 1 seperate.) I have 2 different setups made from grids, and they take turns being let out to run around and relax outside of them. I may be moving soon to a small apartment, probably 1 bedroom 1 bath. I’m thinking I may have to end up not having a living room and instead using it for them, or using it as a bedroom lol. If I use the bedroom as their room they’re typically about 12×12′ if not a little less. What would be an ideal way to house the buns in this situation? The bedroom is too small for their grid cage setups I have right now so I was thinking of kind of splitting it in half so that they’re always “out.” Anyone else have a similar setup? If so, what’s the sturdiest way I can do so with no risk of them getting in each others areas?

Either way they’re probably going to have a lot less room than they do now and I feel bad and just want to make the change as comfortable for them as possible. Thank you for any ideas.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

When I was in a small apartment I had cube grid condos that were multiple levels, so I built up instead of out. Then I still would give them plenty of free-roam time in room, but their housing set up took up less floor space.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kanin
          Participant

For some reason I always forget about building up! I was lucky enough to have enough space here where that wasn’t necessary but that could definitely work maybe. These rooms are just so small I can’t see it being possible to both build big enough enclosures and still ensure they have enough space to run, which is what they love doing the most.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a pic of my old set-up for reference. Footprint was 2 x 3  of 14″ NIC cube grids. I do wish it could have been longer but it was the biggest I could fit in my studio apartment! And they had free roam for at least half the day usually.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kanin
              Participant

Thanks that’s actually really helpful! And comforting to know that I’m not alone in the small space struggle with buns lol. I wish I could let them free roam the whole apartment but my boyfriend will be bringing his high-prey-drive dog so we have to keep them separate.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                Participant
                300 posts Send Private Message

You could also stack it and put one of the bunnies cage on top of the other.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

Remember that rabbits do spend a good portion of the day sleeping, so try not to feel too bad if they’re shut away sometimes. A safe place is important where that can nap. I recall my original pair disappeared into a box 10am-3pm daily, despite having whole house to free roam.

Do you think a trio could be an option? That would help on the housing aspect and having to alternate free-roam time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Moving from house to apartment – what are some ways I can house my buns?