Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Moving

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jessica
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone, I’m moving from Illinois to Florida… a 20 hour car ride. I have 3 bunnies that I will be moving with me. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to share? I was thinking about taking their small rabbit cage, the one you get from petsmart, and moving them in that. I think they will be more comfortable if they can snuggle each other, but I’m not sure and was wondering if anyone has experience with this? (Don’t worry, I never keep them in the small cage. It’s just something from their previous home that they use as a security blanket and private place.) I will be driving with someone else that will be on bunny duty, just in case anything goes wrong. I’m very nervous about moving my babies, but there’s no way I’d give them up. I want this to be the smoothest transition possible for them. Once we arrive I’ll already have their private room set up for them, so I’m not too concerned about once we get there. I’m just worried about the process of getting there, and I would appreciate any words of advice. Thank you in advance!!

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

Wow, sounds like a long drive!

How do they normally cope in the car?

If they’re bonded, they should definitely share a small carrier for the drive It’s good if it’s small, so that if there’s any sudden stops they won’t get thrown around. I would recommend lining it with puppy pads to absorb any pee, and maybe putting a familiar blanket in there to comfort them too. I would also have hay in there, so they can munch away if they’re so inclined.

Lots of bunnies won’t eat in moving cars, so it’s good to stop every couple of hours and offer them some wet veggies to keep them hydrated, and give them a chance to stretch their legs – maybe in a pop up pen, or even the trunk of the car could work (if it’s not also packed full of stuff!).

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

Not sure if this is an option for you, but my husband and I are doing something similar from MA down south. We’re planning on stopping at pet friendly hotels along the way. I know a 20 hour drive is much shorter than our future 30 hour drive, but maybe you can space it out a few days so they aren’t cooped up for so long and get a chance to have some sort of normalcy at least for part of the trip?

Good luck

• Bunny House
            Participant
            1241 posts Send Private Message

I agree with A&B! When I moved from ohio to Texas with my buns, we stayed at two hotels so the buns would only be in the car 8 hours and then be on stable ground and eat so I could try and prevent stasis.

Have fun traveling!

• Jessica
              Participant

Two of them normally just cuddle, and the other one is totally fine in the car. Two of them are bonded, I’m hoping they’ll be bonded with the third one, or that the move will help bond all three. I’ve been told to take them all on car rides to bond them. However, I have a back up plan to separate them if they aren’t getting along before the move. I’ll be filling the cage with bedding, they’ll have hay, water, and food available the whole time and I’ll definitley have veggies on standby for them! I thought about the pen for them to run around in but to be honest with you, I am so nervous about them escaping and me losing them forever. My one bun is an absolute dare devil. I like the idea about the trunk though!! I’m also getting a movie truck so my car is completely dedicated to the bunnies.

• Jessica
                Participant

I really wanted to just drive straight through to just get it over with. I’m also worried cause my little buns are destructive and love ruining carpet haha. I might just have to space the trip out for them and stay in hotels. I just want this whole ordeal to be over with already lol. Thanks for the advice!

• Vienna Blue in France
                  Participant
                  5317 posts Send Private Message

Mine are very happy in the car, no obvious stress, they move around and groom each other and flop, but they do not eat when the car is moving. But they do when it stops, so for me its a no brainer.

If i were you, i would stop every few hours for treats and treats and treats (and not move on until they have heartily nibbled) and weewee (humans and animals) and definitely have one night stopover, if not two, to make sure they are getting enough food to avoid stasis setting in. You reeeeaallly don’t want that.

Good luck !

• Bunny House
                    Participant
                    1241 posts Send Private Message

I think you’ll be over driving after 8 hours and you will want a break but it’s up to you

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Moving