Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Moulting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Staja
      Participant
      59 posts Send Private Message

Well, Warren’s going through a major moulting right now, ad I’m not sure of the best way to get rid of the extra fluff.  He simply will not tolerate being brushed for more than a moment, and I don’t want to fight with him over it.  I do sneak a quick brush in when he gives me the butt for trying to brush or to gently pull the loose hairs out, though. 

Does anyone have any better ideas than this?  I don’t want to stress him out by chasing him with a brush, nor do I want him to ingest all the extra hair!  I have been giving him a little more papaya than he used to get, but I don’t want to worry about any blockages.  Also, he looks so silly, with tufts of hair all over the place.  Very undignified!  Right now, he sitting in the corner of the cage, giving me the stink-eye! Any ideas are appreciated – there’s nothing like 3 lbs. of disapproval every time you walk by the cage.

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

lol.  warren’s giving you a hard time huh?  i’ve heard people mention gently wiping bun down with a damp towel works to lift off some loose hairs.  I haven’t tried it myself, but i could see it working on baby bun when she molts.  she doesn’t get freaked out if we’re playing & i drape a towel over her, so i imagine if it was damp & i sorta wiped it off of her in a head to bum direction that she wouldn’t be too offended.  that surely wouldnt get off big tufts but maybe you could use the opportunity to also pull out a couple of those with your fingers while warren’s thinking ‘what the *bleep* is goin’ on here?’

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL funny bunny! I would definitely give that towel idea a go! Also, maybe try feeding some papaya or pineapple in the time being to help digest that hair that Warren is eating; Or those oxbow papaya tablets.

• kimberleyanddarren
            Participant
            2520 posts Send Private Message

i read about just wetting your hand and running it over the length of the body and not a whole towel this way they are less likely to notice or object much rather than a whole towel being over them as a wet hand is more tolerable.

• KatnipCrzy
              Participant
              2981 posts Send Private Message

if you Dampen your hand it will pull loose hairs without tugging or hurting- it should feel like being petted to the bunny.  Then you rub your hands together and the stuck fur will clump together into strings to make it easier to get off your hands.  I do this to my cats in the summertime out on our deck- I used a small bucket of water to keep wetting my hands and to remove extra hair.  Don’t use so much water that you are dampening bunny- as you don’t want them to get chilled or have them figure out that you are actually grooming them.

My cats don’t mind being brushed- but this is great for removing all of the loose hairs that are still present after brushing.  I don’t think this would work well with a long haired cat or bunny– just the short-haired.  All my cats are short haired and bunny is short haired too.

Julie

• Spacehopper
                Participant
                540 posts Send Private Message

The only way I can get anything out of Brian is under the guise of giving him some loving!! lol i only have to tweek at any little clumps ready to shed and he’s off like a shot, but if i get on the floor with him he comes to me and absolute loves being “scrubbed”. He does exactly what a cat or dog would do when you scrub their back and butt, and that way…well the amount of fur that piles up behind his rear end is quite unbelievable.

If like me, you find every surface of where your buns live covered in a layer of fur, rubber gloves!! rub in a circular motion with them on and it all comes off quick and easy.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Moulting