Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Monday morning Neutering

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marshmallow
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, we had called our vet last week scheduling a neuter for our bunny Marshmallow on Monday April 2 and they had said they would call the day before to confirm a time and with some more instructions leading up to his neuter, however that day before lands on easter and I just called and they said they are not going to be there tomorrow and still cant give me a time for him to come in and said they will call back monday morning with a time, but it’s all gonna be so rushed since I wanted to be prepared for this. What do we do the night before and everything to prepare him? The original lady said to stop all feeding after 12pm that night, but does he still get water and IDK?! Can someone help us out what to do preparing him before his appt on monday that we don’t even know fully if its happening?

Thank you!

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

A vet usually wants a rabbit to be brought in for surgery as soon as the office opens, although they may not perform the surgery for a few hours.

I hope it was the receptionist who told you not to feed Marshmallow after midnight, and not the vet who said that. Receptionists are often thinking of the protocol for dogs and cats, which is different for rabbits. A vet should know better and not tell anyone to fast their rabbits before surgery.  Marshmallow should have access to food and water right before you take him to the vet. You really don’t have to prepare anything the night before. Take some hay and veggies to the vet’s office for him to eat after the surgery, and make sure you have all of his favorite veggies and fruits on hand when he comes home, in case he doesn’t want to eat much. If he doesn’t eat at all after coming home, you will need to give him Critical Care or a pellet mash.

• Marshmallow
          Participant
          29 posts Send Private Message

is it normal for a vet to do that where they will call you early morning telling you when to come in? I find it odd they didn’t just tell me say 9oclock.

• tobyluv
            Participant
            3310 posts Send Private Message

I have never had a vet call me that morning to tell me what time to bring my rabbit in for surgery. That doesn’t seem very normal to me, but it’s possible some vets do it that way. My rabbit’s appointment times were always scheduled in advance.

• Hazel
              Participant
              2587 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never had a vet wait till the day of surgery to set a drop off time, seems kinda willy-nilly and unprofessional to me. That, plus the fact that they told you to fast him also makes me doubt their rabbit savviness. Although, as tobyluv said, that might have been the receptionist’s mistake. I would call and talk to the vet about fasting him, if the vet tells you to fast him, I would advice you to find a new vet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Monday morning Neutering